Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable Vintagey Shoes?

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Ladies,

I reel with envy at all of the lovely, high heeled shoes which i simply cannot wear! Can anyone suggest some comfy low shoes (not saddle shoes) which the rest of us vintage types could possibly wear?

Thanks!
Mary

Kitty55

New in Town
Zappo's (www.zappos.com) has a pretty dceent selection, and a wide variety of vintage styles. :)

I normally don't wear flats (they make my feet look rather boatish), but I like these:

6220-415594-d.jpg

1396-398173-d.jpg

4998-353777-d.jpg

These are admittedly the same kind of variation on a basic ballet flat, but they're cute nonetheless! :)

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
I know these aren't low, like you had mentioned...but honestly, when I want to wear comfy shoes, I reach for these rather then flats or tennis shoes, not only because I love they way they look they're really really comfortable. The leather gets SO soft, they have nice support, and they aren't actually THAT high. My feet have never hurt after wearing these, even after a long day of running around and working on my feet, and thats saying something, since its very hard to find shoes wide enough for my size 10 feet ('little embaressing!). They are pricey, but they are SO worth it. And, if you're ever able to make it out to California, go straight to the store to buy them and make sure Paul is working, he will soften the leather for you before you leave with them, which makes a world of difference and saves you from horrible blisters!

You can find them at www.remixvintageshoes.com

EDIT: Sorry, I've tried to post a picture, but it just won't work! The shoes are the "Rita" 40's High Heel Platforms

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Hey, gals, I too have trouble finding comfortable "heels". I have very flat feet with no arches and high heels are real killers. But I found these this summer and I bought all three colors. I just love them!

http://www.roamans.com/product.aspx?PfId=86540&DeptId=9936&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=0

They feel great and I think look pretty "vintagey". My hubby was watching some old movie from the 30s and commented, "Hey, hon, she's wearing your shoes!" My shoes DID look pretty close. But I especially like how "dressy" they look. If they had more colors, I'd own all of them! And now I see they're even on sale!

TabbyKat

New in Town
BonnieJean said:
Hey, gals, I too have trouble finding comfortable "heels". I have very flat feet with no arches and high heels are real killers. But I found these this summer and I bought all three colors. I just love them!

http://www.roamans.com/product.aspx?PfId=86540&DeptId=9936&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=0

They feel great and I think look pretty "vintagey". My hubby was watching some old movie from the 30s and commented, "Hey, hon, she's wearing your shoes!" My shoes DID look pretty close. But I especially like how "dressy" they look. If they had more colors, I'd own all of them! And now I see they're even on sale!

Thanks for that link BonnieJean! I got to looking at their selection and they have some gorgeous wedgies! And excellent prices as well. I see my paycheck this week will be getting a workout! ;)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I can't wear heels very easily either (flat feet!), but the "Capri" wedgies at http://remixvintageshoes.com/ are so comfortable it's ridiculous! I bet any of their other "wedgie" styles are just as comfy too. I wore them out to the vintage expo and was walking around for 3 hours and only had to take one 10 minute pit stop. That's a miracle for me!

I might even invest in a pair of their pumps because I love my Capris so much!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I bought some vintage inspired peep toes at Cathy Jean the other day. They were comfortable at first... But then...
I walked around in them all day yesterday, which wasn't a good idea, basically because I am the type of person that needs to break in a pair of heels by wearing it for short periods, rather than wearing them all day the first time. So my feet were killing me, but they looked great. :D

olive bleu

One Too Many
crystalface said:
I bought some vintage inspired peep toes at Cathy Jean the other day. They were comfortable at first... But then...
I walked around in them all day yesterday, which wasn't a good idea, basically because I am the type of person that needs to break in a pair of heels by wearing it for short periods, rather than wearing them all day the first time. So my feet were killing me, but they looked great. :D

I find i need 2 categories of shoes:
1.) the kind you can walk in
2.) the kind you can only wear if you are getting a drive:D

Glaistig

New in Town
I agree with Kitty and heartily recommend Zappos.com.

I click on "women," then "mary janes" or "t-straps" under the dress shoe category. They have pictures of a zillion shoes (and closeup picture views of the shoe from several angles) as well as reviews (both good AND bad) from past purchasers. I find that they actually have a lot of retro vintage-y styles if you weed through their massive collection.

You may want to select "low heel" and/or "mid heel/kitten heel." (There's always overlap between the categories.)

I have found Zappos to have excellent customer service (free returns if need be & free shipping). Seriously, between Zappos and Amazon's 1-click, I will become absolutely broke and bankrupt.

I'll definitely have to check on the other stores you ladies have linked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot