Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments on my new Cooper type G-1?

shortbow

Practically Family
Hi all. I do not know a lot (very little actually) about leather jackets. My first and only other is an Avirex A2, but I recently acquired a Cooper G-1 in goatskin, made in the early 90's. The guy I got it from said the jacket was made during Cooper's contract with the Navy and is precisely identical to the jackets sold to the government at that time.

I gather from hanging around this joint for a few years that Coopers are not particularly well regarded, but this garment looks to me to be very finely made, with great construction, materials and attention to detail. Other than the fact that the collar is acrylic pile rather than real mouton, this jacket seems like the real deal to me, but as I said I know little about this stuff and would welcome any input anyone of you aficionados could supply such as its supposed drawbacks, authenticity, history etc.

Many thanks, eh?

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I wasn't aware that their reputation was bad but that their jackets are not accurate to the standard of the reproduction makers such as Eastman, Goodwear, Superior Flight Apparel etc.

Do you have any pics of the jacket?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Mmmmmm, I didn't think Cooper were ever professing to make reproduction jackets. Rather that they made what the US military was asking for in the 80's & 90's. Cooper make jackets. Eastman et al make repros.

The reason some on here pooh-pooh Cooper is that their jackets don't look like the WW2 jackets that they so drool over.

Cooper made garments aren't bad at all quality-wise. Especially the 80's stuff.

At least when you buy a Cooper 46R it is a 46R and not got to be sized up or down a size or two like the original WW2 and repro ones tend to have to be. The sizing and cut is consistant to the same degree that original jackets are not :)

Dave

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi shortbow;
Congrats on your Cooper G-1. As you know the G-1 is a very practical and good looking jacket that is reproduced by even the top end jacket makers today. Your jacket was probably an issued jacket, Cooper had a Dept. of Defense contract from the late 1980s until the mid 1990s.
Don't fret about the acrylic pile collar, most G-1s didn't have the mouton collar since the Vietnam era.
That's the neat thing about the G-1. An issued "real deal military" jacket is still very affordable, usually cheaper than the repros. Unlike the venerable A-2 that is cost prohibitive (at least for me) in issued WWII condition.
Make sure you watch "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" starring the G-1 jacket and also appearing, William Holden.
Enjoy your jacket and wear the heck out of it!
Regards............coffee

shortbow

Practically Family
Wow, thanks a million Gents, that's great info. I'm much clearer on the whole thing now. As to pics, my daughter is here visiting right now and if I can talk her into it, I'll get something up, but otherwise I'm an illiterate. There are pics on the web here and there though.

Is this a great site or what?

Peacoat

Bartender
too much coffee said:
Hi shortbow;
Make sure you watch "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" starring the G-1 jacket and also appearing, William Holden.
Enjoy your jacket and wear the heck out of it!
Regards............coffee

Coffee: Excellent analysis.

xt40

Familiar Face
Dudleydoright said:
At least when you buy a Cooper 46R it is a 46R and not got to be sized up or down a size or two like the original WW2 and repro ones tend to have to be. The sizing and cut is consistant to the same degree that original jackets are not :)

Dave
i have to disagree with you there. ive a cooper g1, mil spec except for it has a real mouton collar. its supposedly a 42 but feels at least a few sizes bigger. for comparison, if also got an eastman 42 irvin size 44 and an aero b3 size 42.
the eastman fits right if a little short in the body. the aero is a little big alround and the cooper g-1 is way too big for me. ideal sizes for me would probably be
eastman -44
aero 40
cooper 38
whats the point of using number sizes if they dont actually relate to the chestsize of the jacket

shortbow

Practically Family
Well, as to pics, my daughter's fancy new camera that I bought her for Grad packed it in after two weeks, so no joy there, sorry to say.

As to fitting, I can only comment on the fact that my Avirex A2 size 44 fits very tightly, just, I suppose, as they were originally meant to fit. But I find it very constricting and not very comfortable.

This Cooper, with the gusseted arms and bi-swing back if that's the right term, fits perfectly and with enough room for a sweater. I favor it a good deal more than the other.

As to wearing the heck out of it, no fear there, as I love its looks and its comfort.

Thanks again for the enlightenment.

shortbow

Practically Family
Watched the 'Bridges at...' last nite. You're right darn good old time flick. Lots of these jackets there, looked great. I also just noticed yesterday that my jacket has USN punched in the wind flap. As it's 95 out right now it may be a few days before I can wear it, but it at least gives me something to look forward to this fall besides the dreaded winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy