Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparison of two vintage Perry A-2 flight jackets

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I recently sold both jackets via the VLJF, but thought them worth a post here.

Perry Sportswear (of Newburgh, New York) produced two A-2 contracts from the fiscal year of 1942. The precise dating of the contracts have been discussed at different times on the forum and although the information is contradictory, it appears from those with better knowledge of the order chronology that the older, smaller goatskin contract (W535ac23377) preceded the later, larger horsehide contract (order number 42-16175-P).

Both contracts retained a collar stand, nipple snaps, and a Conmar zipper. Characteristic of these patterns are the short, rounded collar points and pocket flaps with a shallow curve to the bottom edge and stitch lines that are spaced further from the edge of the flap than is typical. There is open box stitching reinforcement at top corners of the pockets. Although one of my previous 23377s had a three-piece inner wind flap, neither of these sports this feature.

I have finally had the opportunity to examine an example of each contract (in a size 44) alongside each other. Both jackets are essentially original, although the knitted cuffs of the 42-16175-P are older replacements.

The photographs were taken this afternoon outside under overcast skies. Both jackets are notionally russet in colour, but I was most surprised to see the degree of contrast between the two hides: the goatskin is remarkably red in colour (a deep russet) moreover the knits are very red. This is a feature that I have seen before on my previous depot refurbished 23377, and presumably reflects oxidation/degradation of the dye; the 42-16175-P does not show the same colour, being much closer to a mid-brown with a reddish tint.

Both jackets have their original Conmar zips, which are a common feature on Perry Sportswear products, although Crowns were also known (and a previous 23377 that I owned sported a double marked Talon, although this had been through a depot refurbishment). The 42-16175-P was issued at some point in its history to Lieutenant H Cornsweet, whose name is written on the lining along with the date 1943 and also the stamp ‘Wetherby’.

For the record, the statistics of the jackets:

Weight = 1.2 kg (2 lb 10 oz)
Shoulder width = 47.5 cm
Pit-to-pit = 59 cm
Front length = 58 cm
Back length = 67 cm (including collar stand)
Arm length = 56 cm (without knitted cuff)
Epaulettes = 16.5 cm
Collar width = 7.5 cm
Pocket width = 15 cm
Pocket depth = 16 cm
Pocket flap depth = 7.5 cm

42-16175-P
Weight = 1.36 kg (2 lb 15.5 oz)
Shoulder width = 47.5 cm
Pit-to-pit = 59 cm
Front length = 58 cm
Back length = 64 cm (including collar stand)
Arm length = 55 cm (without knitted cuff)
Epaulettes = 17 cm
Collar width = 7 cm
Pocket width = 14 cm
Pocket depth = 16 cm
Pocket flap depth = 7.5 cm

The goatskin jacket is markedly thinner hide and appreciably lighter in weight; it is also longer in the body. The collar does stand significantly higher, being somewhat wider in profile and with snaps placed in different positions compared with the horsehide example.

Finally, the photograph of the rear of the collar shows that most unusual characteristic of the Perry – the offset hanger. The label lines up with the centre of the collar, but all of the four Perrys that I have owned have the hanger offset. Why? I guess we’ll never know…

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8050.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_8062.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Great comparison. Great pictures. Nice to see a russet goatskin. Ten years ago some A-2 buffs would have denied the existance of goatskin A-2s.
Thanks for posting the pics

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Great comparison. Great pictures. Nice to see a russet goatskin. Ten years ago some A-2 buffs would have denied the existance of goatskin A-2s.
Thanks for posting the pics
Really? I'm staggered. They were unknown or simply not regarded as a 'real' A-2?
My capeskin Doni A-2 falls into a similar category I guess.

Really? I'm staggered. They were unknown or simply not regarded as a 'real' A-2?
My capeskin Doni A-2 falls into a similar category I guess.

I have a capeskin Aero (Bronco) A2 as well. I had one guy gasp, but not until he knew what it was. It's a pretty thick cape, so I guess I understand the thought that all cape is for gurly jackets...but this one will last forever, and is breaking in wonderfully. And besides, I think A1's were cape - no?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have a capeskin Aero (Bronco) A2 as well. I had one guy gasp, but not until he knew what it was. It's a pretty thick cape, so I guess I understand the thought that all cape is for gurly jackets...but this one will last forever, and is breaking in wonderfully. And besides, I think A1's were cape - no?

Very interesting, have you posted your Bronco? Yes, you are right - the issued A-1 was capeskin.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, much appreciated. I'm curious to see how the texture compares with both my cape jackets. It has been said the back of the A-2 resembles merino with the raised 'scars'.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
8th Air Force

Here is my Perry. It flew 35 missions in the 8th Air Force, 92nd Bomb Group, Fames Favored Few, 326th Squadron!
IMG_4088.jpg
IMG_4091.jpg
IMG_4094.jpg
IMG_4092.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana