Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparison of Wax Cotton jackets

Fardad

Familiar Face
Can anyone offer opinions/comparisons on quality with respect to the Barbour jackets?

- Oxford Blue waxed cottons
- Westfield waxed cottons

I have only tried on the Barbour jackets and although nice, I find the price tag to be a tad ridiculous for what it is. But I do need a raincoat here in Massachusetts so I am willing to make to an investment.

I just would like to know if anyone can attest to the quality of the other 2 mentioned (or perhaps introduce some more brands?) as they are considerably less in $. I know that the Oxford Blue's are made in England (I would like to avoid purchasing from China, etc.)

thanks!

rongoms

Familiar Face
I've no experience with those brands, but i haev a couple waxed-cloth items from the Edinbugh Woolen Mill.

The have no website, but they do have an outlet store in Gretna Green, in southern Scotland.

they are top-drawer stuff, and not too obscenly expensive. (They have vests too)

Just give them a ring, tell them waht you want and they'll toss it in the post.

The Edinburgh Woollen Mill
Units 8/9
Gretna Gateway Outlet Village
Glasgow Road
GRETNA
DG16 5GG

Phone Number : +011 44 1461 339084

rongoms

Familiar Face
Ah, Filson.

I can see their shops from my office window.

They do, indeed, make exceptional products, however i'm not a fan of their wax-cloth coats. they just fit....."funny" on me.

Maybe they're cut for tiny girly-sized men.lol

i've got a couple of their wax-cloth bags from years past, however, and they are top-notch!

If anyone wants a cataloge, (for non-internet reading) PM me and i'll get one in the post.

WH1

Practically Family
I guess if 6'1" 210 is girly sized.:D I have 2 of their coats and at first they were very stiff but once they break in they are hard to beat for hard field use.

mikepara

Practically Family
Barbour jackets...

...are costly but it's relative to the job in hand. They are without doubt the best waxed jacket on the market. Whether working in it or just a raincoat.

The farmers around here in the Scottish Borders don't waste money on wax that wont work. They all wear Barbour. The catalogues are gorgeous too, if thats not a bit strong.

incidently I deliver to Lord james percy once a week!

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.view&CategoryID=5

Fardad

Familiar Face
mikepara said:
Just give them a ring, tell them waht you want and they'll toss it in the post.
You mean they'll post here on the Fedora Lounge? I will do that then to see their jackets. Thanks!

WH1 said:
by any chance have you looked at the American brand Filson.
Not yet, but I will look into it thanks. Although I'm not a fan of 'capes' over shoulders. They do look pretty rugged though. I tend to favour Barbour's level of stiffness (which is not very).

mikepara said:
The farmers around here in the Scottish Borders don't waste money on wax that wont work.
I guess I would want to more about what works and what doesn't, for the money. Do the Barbour's have a patent on the methods in which they boil/treat their waxed cottons? (If so, I would love to know more about it) Is is that far apart from the competition?

It just seems too of a straight forward process for me to warrant the price tag (but it is a lovely feel of a jacket nonetheless). Though, the Bedale is selling for $213 and that's the cheapest I've seen it so far.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Barbour's have been in existence for decades and I'm not sure of the feasibility of obtaining their wax treatment recipe. I've worn them for work (gamekeeping) and sport for decades and if properly looked after (regularly re proofed etc) they will last the average user many years. However as someone who in years past often used their coat for hard outdoors work almost on a daily basis I would wear out a garment such as the Northumbria within a year. I've tried other brands but in the end they just are not a Barbour;)

LeeB

Familiar Face
I know well (from others) the reputation of both Filson and Barbour. On the other hand, I have a short Drover's waxed cotton coat made by Australian Outback that my parents presented me with when I was a teenager ( a little more than twenty years ago) that has never failed me. I have worn it with and without the shoulder cape and have never gotten wet wearing it.
The thing to rmenber with the wax cotton is that it does need to be reprooofed with the wax treatment in high abrasion areas every so often. I make it a yearly, spring season ritual to go over the coat to determine if it needs touch ups.

Weston

A-List Customer
I adore my Barbour, and after a rifle I inherited from my Grandfather, it is my favorite possession. That ought to tell you how useful I find it! If you want my advice: hit up eBay! Look for British sellers, where Barbour is not nearly as costly. I picked mine up in like new condition for a c-note plus shipping. Good luck – and I'm a fan of the classic Beaufort if it helps.

Don't give in – Barbour all the way! ;)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Belstaff

MudInYerEye said:
The Belstaff Trialmaster is probably the most stylish waxed cotton jacket of all time.

I used to work for Belstaff when they made real outdoor clothing. I met motorcycling world champions, explorers and mountain climbers, all of whom were pleased to wear and endorse our products. Now they have Kate Moss.
The new (Italian) company seems to be more interested in movie product placement (what's the betting it's featured in the forthcoming Steve McQueen biopic?).

Barbour was our main competition. Although Barbour were formed first (1890s vs 1920s), Belstaff invented the wax-proof cotton and held the patent for a while. The fabric was basically a more wearable version of the 'oilcloth' used for sailors' jackets in the old days. The original wax-proof was based on Egyptian cotton and was waxier but much more weatherproof than the stuff made now, which seems to focus on feel and appearance rather than effectiveness.

A 1960s Trialsmaster is a thing of great beauty and effectiveness. Like Steve McQueen's favourite jacket. No-one, repeat no-one, makes clothing like that now. Barbour copied the Trialsmaster from Belstaff, Belstaff copied a lot of its country range from Barbour.

We used to have a department where we tested different garments, particularly performing back-to-back tests of Belstaff and Barbour products under extreme weather conditions. I am stiil not at liberty to divulge the results... The most impressive garment I saw ITO water proofing was a green Trialsmaster suit made from wax-proofed Ventile cotton. Incredible, but it would have been too expensive in practice. I seem to remember two were made and the untested one was presented to world trials champion Sammy Miller.

Amazingly, NOS Belstaff garments are still turning up!

Alan

petng

New in Town
Thanks for great info Alan.
Can you give some insight on the sleeve lengths of the trialmasters. I have a small purchased NOS. The sleeves measure unbelievably short, only 20 inches. It looks kinda short on me and i have short arms. Were they designed deliberately that way so that there is no slack in the sleeves when riding?

I have since purchased another trialmaster from Ebay that measures exactly the same in the chest, shoulders etc... but with sleeves at 24 inches. Both jackets are made in England. should recieve it in 2 weeks.

BTW I love the fit and heft of the jacket

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Trialsmaster sleeves

Mmm. A 20 " sleeve would be too short for a regular size. I would expect them to be about 24" (although the sleeve design can make it hard to measure the outer arm). There are several possibilities - it could have been a 'special' for a very short person (it was done) or shortened 'in the field' or (and I favour this) it could be a ladies' model. Do you have a short lady?

Alan

petng

New in Town
No the jacket did not look like it was altered. It was NOS and the seller had another 3 jackets with the same length sleeves.

petng

New in Town
Hello Alan

I have just recieved me second Belstaff TrialMaster. It is very different to my current Trialmaster.This jacket looks practically brand new. It has quilted padding on the shoulders and the elbows. Both chest pockets are paralle to each other. On my old jacket one pocket is slanted. Lining on the new jacket is blue tartan and it goes all the way down the sleeves. Old jacket red tarten. New jacket has black metal belt while old jacket Brass. New jacket has shiny YKK bronze/brass yip.Both Jackets made in the UK.

The biggest difference though is the waxed cotton. On my old jacket it is very shiny with a strong smell of wax. This new jacket, even though it is new has a matte finish with no smell of wax at all. I am sure it is waxed cotton because it says so inside the label. It doesnt look like it has been washed and running the jacket under water, it repels it quite well.

Can you shed some light on the 2 jackets and most importantly the differences in the Wax cotton between the 2 of them.

Any info is must apprieciated.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The slanted pocket is an older version- Steve McQueen's recently came up for auction and it had the slanted pocket.
The quilted shoulder model sounds like the newer, Italian produced version.
The older Belstaffs still show up on Ebay.
As a side note, the new Belstaff company has announced they are going to discontinue the waxed cotton version of the Trialmaster.
It is also the jacket of choice for Will Smith in his upcoming film I am Legend, so these two factors may raise its desirability quotient and its price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21