Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Composer Michael Kamen passes away

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Please forgive me, but I just learned of this sad news today. I collect and listen to, pretty much exclusively, orchestral film scores and this news of composer Michael Kamen passing away at only 55 on Tuesday is a huge shock. I own many of his scores on CD. I just watched one of my favorite films, The Iron Giant, for the umpteenth time last weekend too and kept thinking to myself how perfect Kamen's score is.

Here is Maestro Kamen's obituary at FNC: Grammy-Winner Michael Kamen Dies at 55

:cry:

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
WOW!! What a shock!! He was a fantastic composer. In fact, he is one of my favorites. His Robin Hood soundtrack was a "must own" for every music major my freshman year in college. He often expressed how much he longed to do a score to a western. It was one of the only genres of film for which he had never composed. I was glad to see that he got his chance in the movie Open Range which coincidently came out just this year. His use of instrumental colors lend it self so well to the western music, I'm surprised he didn't do one earlier. He was also one of the first composers (and really the only one) to embrace the rock and pop genre and incorporate it into the soundtrack's score. His impact on modern film scores ranks right up there with Williams, in my opinion. He will be sorely missed.

Koreana

Familiar Face
Sad...

This is very sad. Michael Kamen is great. The Iron Giant. I'll tell ya... I choked up bad when he does what he does at the end. Not quite sure of the line but something like "You can be whatever you what to be" Forgive me if I am way off. Very sad...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points