Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conditioning, polishing White's Boots

winterland1

Practically Family
I haven't done anything to my White's Semi-Dress boots in black Chrome Excel as far as conditioning or polishing. I bought them used a few months ago. Posted about them here. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74648-Finally-found-some-boots-White-s-Semi-Dress
They have a few scuffs and I want to make sure they are protected from our Minnesota snow and salt.
I did order White's Preservative whcih I believe is Obernauf's LP. I talked with White's and they recommended that item unless I was hunting and wanted a preservative with no smell, the White's Leather Protector. I also ordered Fiebing's Edge Dye in brown.

How have others cared for your leather boots? White's, Red Wing's, Wesco's etc. I do wear them inside most of the time but I do wear them outside when getting in and out of car etc.

I need to fix the scuffs on the upper and also the leather sole sole is roughed up some around the edges, which is brown. I have some black Kiwi Shoe Polish already. White's sell that also.
I have done some researching and found various suggestions.
Do you polish first and then condition or the other way around?
I would like them to have some shine in the end. Any polishing, conditioning tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Man, I would put the polish away but that's just me. IMO one of the big appeals of black CXL is the way it ages to brown over time. I got a pair of black CXL smokejumpers that I occasionally grease up with some Obenaufs or Pecards. Otherwise, just try to keep em clean and well brushed.

winterland1

Practically Family
I thought I would get all kinds of how to take care of your boots suggestions.
Everyone is usually so full of opinions here. :rolleyes:
I don't mind my leather shoes to get used and worn over time but the couple scuffs are very distinct. I will let you know how the polish goes when I get in my order from White's. I do have a brush.

John Galt

Vendor
Just rub 'em down good with rendered bear grease. That's the way we do all our Boots where I come from ;-)

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Will015

Familiar Face
The black polish will definitely help hide the scuffs in the boots. I've used cordovan polish to help hide a cut I put in some burgundy CXL and it worked well enough. As to polishing oil pull leather... I've had mixed results. I've attempted to polish some Iron Rangers and it worked, sorta. You'll get a shine but it might be uneven and not last long. I've heard of people having better luck getting a polish on oil pull boots when the surface has gotten less oily and drier so the polish can actually get on/bond with the leather instead of unevenly mixing with the oils in the leather. Though I believe common wisdom is to use oil on oil pull leathers and polish on dress leathers. From personal experience, Obenauf's will definitely protect your boots from winter.

I'd personally say the best way to hide those scuffs is to get more of them. But I prefer boots to look worn and not new. They're boots not dress shoes.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I agree with what Bretron and Will015 have said. I try to keep my boots cleaned and dust free and I occasionally apply oil to the oil pull types. I've had pretty good luck with an occasional polish job on my brown Alden 405's and my White semi-dress which are black standard semi-dress calf as I remember. Haven't had much luck with polish on the oil pull leathers. I think I does work to hide scuffs to some degree though. I can get kind of a dull shine on the semi-dress black with polish.

Annixter

Practically Family
I'm not sure how this will work with polish, if that's what you're going for, but I use neatsfoot oil on leather. I researched leather conditioning oil when I was getting into straight shaving (for the strop) and for conditioning leather jackets. The straight razor crew along with a local custom leather shop recommended only using neatsfoot oil which seems to be the choice of equestrians as well for weatherproofing saddles and other leather gear. I couldn't source any locally, so I went with Amazon, but a tack and harness shop or a leather goods store would be a good place to look.

When I lived in Buffalo, I'd use neatsfoot oil on my LL Bean Main Hunting Snow Boots, and they shed water/slush well and kept supple. I've used neatsfoot oil on leather jackets with great results. The clear (well, slightly yellow) oil leaves a very natural color and no residue aside from oil. It takes a couple days to fully soak in, so I let the jackets rest while that happens. As with any oil or polish, you've got to be careful about fabric/threads if you don't want them stained.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am sure there are many different conditioners that will work. I believe Neatsfoot, Obernaufs, Pecards etc. are all good.

We have one made here in Minnesota called Nor-V-Gen oil. Has been used for years on hunting boots from my grandpa on down.
Has been good for my all leather boatshoes and my moccasins too.
Will use the Obernaufs from White's as there are no worrys then.
I do have to watch for the stitching though if I want it to remain white as mentioned.

I have new laces coming too. Getting the original flat laces White's sends with them new.

I have enjoyed breaking them into my feet. Don't want to wear anything else now. Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana