Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cookin' some pork!

Renault

One Too Many
This pretty much hits into the era. But young son has gotta cook some wild hogs weekend after next for a wedding. So we are doing a dry run today and have throwed together this quick pit to prepare the porcine creatures into culinary delights. Usually our swine turn out pretty good. But we can always use a little practice so we don't loose our edge! Least I'm dressed for the occasion!

Our hastily prepared box

Fire a goin'!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm hungry already! Great pics but post some of the finished porkers ;)

Hope you've got a few good beers to wash them down with.

Renault

One Too Many
Well I dunno if we have "good" beer but we got beer! This is a test run so we only have a butt, side of ribs, and a couple of links of elk sausage goin' for this test run.

Atticus, I'm out of my fav wood, post oak (which is a white oak) but I have bunch of mesquite cut so we're using it. Don't like to go too heavy on the mesquite too much. But I will get some pics when the meat is presentable!!! ;)

Renault

One Too Many

Nice and slow! Yeah. I know the pit is overkill, but next weekend there will be 3 wild hogs on this pit! The Bride shot them last evening!!! Yes, the Bride did. She's a nice girl!

Renault

One Too Many
Yes sir! Dug a pit or two for cooking a whole Hawg in, but I and my back was a lot younger then. That is some good eatin' tho!!!! We have already enjoyed the sausage today! Can't wait to smack down on those ribs!!!!!

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
If I may, I wish to inquire as to what is your preferred cut of pork? Or favorite way to have pork?

As for myself, I prefer pork as sausage or pork shoulder that is hand shredded after being smoked low and slow over wood chunks.

Renault

One Too Many
Hat wearer,

I ain't too particular. From squeal to tail! But my personal preference is ribs. Or as I like to call em around the grand kids "pigsicles!" Like you say low and slow. Take a good part of the day. Low Impact cooking.

But I will cook any part I can get. Including whole hog if I have to!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hat wearer,

I ain't too particular. From squeal to tail! But my personal preference is ribs!

Bob, goin' hog wild now, sipping coffee and munching St Patrick's Irish soda bread dreamin' of two slabs, smothered with
Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce and Mott's Apple Sauce. :coffee:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Hat wearer,

I ain't too particular. From squeal to tail! But my personal preference is ribs. Or as I like to call em around the grand kids "pigsicles!" Like you say low and slow. Take a good part of the day. Low Impact cooking.

But I will cook any part I can get. Including whole hog if I have to!

:) I enjoy ribs as well. I even enjoy what has been referred to as the pork (brisket) flap that is often on ribs that have not been cut. A guy was about to throw the flap of meat out and I said, "I will take that, no need to waste it." He looked at me funny and said something to the effect of it could not be of any use. Four and half hours later the taste of being right was so delicious!

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Another cut of pork has entered the fray, the tenderloin!
Do you have any recipe secrets to share Big Man? I am always looking to learn more and to hear what others like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana