Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooperstown Ballcap Co.

R

Red Beard

Hello, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for months. I've learned a lot from you guys. I've also spent more than I should have, again, thanks to you guys.

Now don't get the wrong Idea, I'm a fedora/newsboy guy, through and through. I am not a baseball cap guy, nor do I endorse the use of them by anybody at any time, at least not to support anything that's happened in baseball (or pretty much any other area) over the past 20 (30, 40, 50) years.

Anyhow...I came across the Cooperstown ball cap co. (ballcap.com) site and noticed all the old teams and cap styles they had, and I'm amazed. I didn't know anybody was doing this.
It'd be mainly for those times when I'm not sure I can pull off the fedora, like taking trash out to the curb, ect... Also for times when I don't want the extra attention a classy hat gets.

Does anybody have experience with them?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
1948 Reds

This cap is from Cooperstown Ballcap Company. I've been pleased as punch with it and wear it on weekends. With a leather A2 jacket, it works for a "Post-war" kind of look. :)
People ask me about where I got this hat more than any other I own.

ballcap1.jpg
ballcap2.jpg
ballcap3.jpg

R

Red Beard

Thanks for the pics, they're the only ones I've seen, except for the few small ones on their site.

Well, I did it. Last night, after seeing yours, I ordered a 1935 Panama Flash from the factory seconds 7 1/8 page. I'll post a review when it arrives. If all is well, I could see getting a few more. The Apache and Cleveland Elites look especially interesting to me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If I buy another, I'll go for the full-price cap and specify a leather sweat. One of our other members got one like that and likes it.

Please do post pictures when yours arrives!

R

Red Beard

Well, I just changed my order. I'm going with a new Native American - Apache Nation, 1928 instead. With a leather sweat. I'll be sure to post some pictures when it arrives. Says 2 to 4 week wait on their site, but hopefully I'll have it in a few days....

A man can dream, can't he!?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Can someone describe the fit of the crown on these hats. I have one I'm looking at but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Does the hat tend to sit up high on your head or do the sides come down close to the tops of your ears? I guess I'm talking about the volume as discussed on the Cooperstown website. I really wish there were a few more good photos on the website but maybe I'll just have to order and take a chance.

R

Red Beard

I know what you mean. There's nearly nothing to give an idea of what's what on the site. Near as I can tell, pre 1930 looks to be the highest crown caps, which would sit closest to the ears, and I know the 20's have a little extra fabric on top, some people call it a "school boy peak". They really need a costumer gallery.

I was also confused about the "volume" description. I went for the regular, but I really liked the drawings of the full cut version, but without pics, who knows what it will look like.

Does anybody know; Would it kill the authenticity to change the cut, or did the old time cap manufactures give cut options, as well?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I have a rather large crown area from what I can tell and really prefer a ball cap to sit down close on my head. I have tried on several over the years and the more full cut caps are perfect. With most caps I feel sort of like I'm wearing one of those hats with the propeller on the top.

R

Red Beard

Oh, I see now. My idea of volume was a little askew. I was thinking more for the lay of the cap, not the fit of the head.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I know what you are talking about as well. I want it to be a low profile cap that comes down to my ears on the sides and rest on the top of my head without any additional height.

R

Red Beard

Hey guys. My cap showed up 2 days ago. A much longer wait than I had hoped for, but it was worth it...

I just have one small complaint, and that's the bill color. On the site it looks like a light green, but what arrived was a yellow bill. I was very disappointed at first, as I'm not a big yellow fan, but after getting used to it and getting some outside thoughts, I think it actually compliments my skin tone better than the green would have, so I'll be keeping it just the way it is.

The quality is first rate all the way. I mean top notch, no flaws to be found anywhere. The leather sweat is amazing, it's very high quality brown leather with nice grain and is very supple and comfortable. The wool flannel is great, very soft and smooth. These caps are just loaded with character, everything about them is unique.

I think even somebody who dislikes modern ball caps, as I have admitted to, along with my own personal dislike of modern pro baseball (but go Tigers!) would love this, because the 20's versions at least, do not look anything like a modern cap, you could tell from 100 feet away that's it's not "new" at all. There's a lot of extra crown to work with, it almost reminds me of a newsboy or flatcap with the extra fabric. Like a transition between the 8 panel and 6 panel cap, if that makes sense. Very full bodied. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, so you can see what I mean. This cap combined with my 30's Woolrich hunting coat gives off a perfect 1930's rural town vibe. Gotta love it!

I'll be ordering another one soon, so far it's between a 1919 Chicago American Giants, a 1926 Venezuela Magallanes, and a 1913 Adrian Champs. Anybody thinking of buying one of these things, be forewarned, they are almost as addictive as Fedoras and newsboys. I've already sold off some guitar stuff just to fund my next fix...

R

Red Beard

I knew I shouldn't have posted a review without having pics...:eusa_doh:

I'll take some and hopefully have them up tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21