Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costner gets gunned down by Oscar

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Well, the Academy Award Nominations once again reflect very little of what I enjoy. I'm not sure why I am surprised.

Ya know, there was a time in my life, say ten years ago, that I loved watching the Oscar show. It was an event that I enthusiastically sat through each year. Then one year, and I'm not even sure which, the whole thing faded for me and I stopped watching.

Open Range

Say what you will about Kevin Costner. He's never been one of my favorite actors or directors either. However, his western opus from last year was my absolute favorite film of the year. Costner made this one of my favorite westerns ever. It may not have broken any new ground in the western genre but the way in which it was crafted was first rate. The sets, the costumes, the glorious cinematography, the dynamic sound design, the gorgeous score and even the editing and pacing are wonderful. Yet this film didn't receive one nomination this year. Not even a Best Score nod for the late Michael Kamen. How disappointing.

It has been several years since I watched an Oscar telecast and this year will be no different.

Do yourself a favor and view 'Open Range' on DVD instead.

(Also, of note: I recently saw 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico' and it was a fantastic pastiche' of exaggerated action, comedy and violence with just a touch of mythological undertones. Very entertaining. Robert Rodrigous is one of my favorite contemporary directors. The documentaries and commentary featuring him on the DVD are well worth the rental price alone. Check it out.)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Was that the one with Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas? Regards. Michaelson

P.S. To answer your question up HERE, Kyle, yes, I was referring to 'Once upon a time in Mexico'. Thanks!

Sergei

Gone Home
Wow... Duval was great too. What impressed me was the realism of the movie. Specifically to point, was how many times you missed with a pistol (even from close range), if you got hit you still kept going and the huge wall of sound from the gunfire. Huge...
And then not just one gunfight at the end but two, two for the price of one. And did I mention that Duval was great. I am glad I saw it on the big screen twice.

I remember just listening to a documentary about Wyatt Earp and that was his point. They missed a lot during those days and when you got hit, it wasn't necessaryily fatal unless it was a lucky shot. Then gunfighters were really rare. Speed was not the thing, but accuracy. So at a gunfight, it was the most accurate that won, not the speedster. Another Hollywoodism....

-S

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Michaelson
Was that the one with Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas? Regards. Michaelson

If you are referring to 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico" then, yes.

If you are referring to 'Open Range' then, no. ;)

Sergei,

I only had the chance to see it on the big screen once. I just bought the DVD this past weekend and it holds up just as well and seems just as expansive on my 36" TV. My surround system is six or seven years old with prologic instead of the latest 5.1 digital but the sound was still really good. I just love this film so much.

The DVD has some really good deleted scenes and a superb hour long documentary on the making of the film. Costner is brutally honest through out the doc. It's not a promotional fluff piece by any means.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
This is destined to be "Lord of the Rings'" year anyway. I predict most of the awards will go to it on behalf of all three films. Peter Jackson is equally destined to win Best Director, though Sean Penn will probably get Best Actor to make up for last year. But aside from that, the other contenders are just there to prop up "Rings."

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
An afterthought: How seriously can you take an organization that never gave a Best Director Oscar to Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick or Martin Scorcese, but did give them out to Robert Redford, Kevin Costner and Mel Gibson?

Michaelson

One Too Many
Just to respond to Sergei's observations....every 'professional' gunfighter who survived to old age, each and everyone of them, stated to interviewers that the reason for their success was that in those days, a successful gunfighter arrived at the scene with the gun already in their hand. Anybody who arrived with their revolver still in their holster had a slim chance of walking away unscathed, if at all. Like you said, Walt, Hollywood sure got THAT wrong all these years!!! Regards. Michaelson

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is

Like John Wayne said to Ron Howard in the "Shootist". It takes a cold heart and a willingness to kill. Most successes in gunbattles were within 7 feet, and the prevailing party had their gun out, and the looser was caught by suprise or unaware.

The same is true today. Check out the FBI statistics for Officer Involved Shootings.

It is a chilling account of what our brave men and women in blue put up with each day. God Bless them .

farnham54

A-List Customer
Guys...

Raiders lost out to some movie with HORSES. That was before I was born, but I found that out about the same time I found out what the Academy was. And because of that I've never watched. Stuck up, insider snot nosed academy....I better not get started!

Regards,

Craig

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Well, that fat idiot won an Oscar for Best Documentary by misrepresenting the facts about guns and some ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCreative Editing?¢‚Ǩ?. He?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s so Anti-Gun he had to go Skeet shooting the weekend his movie opened and then the week after he won his Academy Award?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ just to make sure he really hates guns.

The Oscars are such a freaking joke; it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not even funny. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a huge butt-kissing orgy and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s rare when I actually agree with who won. Seabiscuit might not win a single award. I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care one way or another; it doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t diminish my love for the film.

Best Costume went to a flick about Nancy-boy?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s running on the beach wearing white shorts. Oooh?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ how creative! Tell me?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ who logs onto The Chariots of Fire Lounge or ?¢‚Ǩ?ìNicholas Farrell Gear Dot Com?¢‚Ǩ?. I defy you to tell me who!

Simon Templar

New in Town
Edge and Sergei,

I agree wholeheartedly with you on Open Range. It was an excellent film. I also even you both because I never had the chance to see it on the big screen. But I do own it on dvd and with the 5.1 going it is just incredible. The rain storm scene for example I was ready to grab my duster and possibly an umbrella. And Sergei, I also agree with you about Duval. As for Costner I only really like him in three films, Open Range, Dances with Wolves, and of course The Untouchables.

Regards,

saintsig.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk