Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coyles indy boots waste of money

henrik

New in Town
hi
i posted a few months ago when i aquired a pair of coyles indy boots
the boots look and feel great just like the alden 405's..............however the boots are now falling apart
my local cobbler says that its the materials that are poor. so a complete waste of money.
anyone have sugestions for a new boot resonably priced that i can wear for casual wear. would love the aldens but cant afford them.

Edward

Bartender
You might try a reproduction of the standard US Army Garrison Shoe/boot, as issued during WW2:

QDH8GFG3.jpg

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ have these in their reenactor's catalogue, currently GBP69.99. Not quite the same look as the Aldens, but close; certainly I doubt they'd stand out as being other than civilian wear. I don't have a pair myself so can't comment directly, but I'm sure they're good enough (as with much else from SoF, they're likely to be WPG product, so perhaps someone round here will be able to attest to how good they really are).

M&S currently also have these:

blank.png

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Auto...ie=UTF8&categoryNodeID=43371030&mnSBrand=core

£59.50

Paddy recommended them on here a couple of months ago - his have been extensively roadtested so he can comment more than me. I've picked up a pair but not worn them out yet. The soles on these are some sort of manmade composite. Different feel than rubber, closer to leather. No reason to suspect they won't wear well. Bonus: they come with a nice set of flat laces - harder to find these days.

Shame the Coyles boots didn't work out, I was looking at those myself. Seems maybe they're intended simpyl as a cheaper costume piece for those who have to have the exact right Indy look, but won't stand up to actual use like the Aldens? I hope to buy a pir of Aldens myself eventually, but I really need for the value of the dollar to drop agaist the pound again before I can justify the spend.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I own a pair of Coyle's boots and love 'em. I only had a little issue of the sole splitting, and that was easily fixed. Mine were from the first run which seemed to have problems. I'm in no way defending Todd's boots, because I know folks who've had a horrid experience with them, so don't think I'm being a fanboy.;)

You mentioned a post from a few months ago, is that when you bought them?

Randy

P.S I have a friend who owns 3-4 pairs of Aldens, and his last pair [bought last year] is really crappy. They're coming apart, and wearing out, and he only wears them to the office once a week.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
P.S I have a friend who owns 3-4 pairs of Aldens, and his last pair [bought last year] is really crappy. They're coming apart, and wearing out, and he only wears them to the office once a week.

In the first six months of ownership of my 405's both tongues seperated from my aldens. I am currently closing in on two years of ownership of them

-Charlie

South

One of the Regulars
LiamR said:
Have you looked at any of the Wolverine 1000 Mile boot collection?

Both the Wolverine 1000 Mile, and the two Red Wing boots are new lines build on old patterns.

I've seen some pretty eratic QC on the Wolverine 1000 mile boots, right out of the box.

cm289

One of the Regulars
9c2fcbda197d608ad848562bc821ab19.jpg

The 2nd iteration of Todd's has held up well, at least for me. I now have some Alden 404s, but prior to purchasing those I'd wear the Todd's several days/week.

My main complaint with the newer Todd's were the brittleness of the heels. I had my cobbler replace them not too long ago.

I've heard good things about the new Thursday Morning Diplomat boots, maybe you should look into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
9c2fcbda197d608ad848562bc821ab19.jpg

The 2nd iteration of Todd's has held up well, at least for me. I now have some Alden 404s, but prior to purchasing those I'd wear the Todd's several days/week.

My main complaint with the newer Todd's were the brittleness of the heels. I had my cobbler replace them not too long ago.

I've heard good things about the new Thursday Morning Diplomat boots, maybe you should look into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like you have walked a lot in these shoes, feel like real comfy one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner