Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crack lines in leather

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Long story short, I've been offered a motorcycle jacket: the style is a cafe racer and seems to be from the 70s. Although the leather is in good condition, the issue is that on the sleeve back panel, especially close to the cuff, the leather presents some superficial "crack lines". The leather though is not cracked and I suspect the coating cracked with age. I'm sure some of you goood folks will know if there is any way to restore that. Here goes the picture:

55421387.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
The closest thing I've seen to that is some of LostWorlds leather that has areas of unusual graining that resembles stretch marks in the hide. I would suggest that it's been there since the jacket was made..and may have something to do with how the leather was processed/tanned. Very doubtful that it could be made to match the rest of the jacket. Would look cool and unique if the whole jacket had that grain pattern,tho.
HD

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Thanks HD. It does seem like the jacket came that way, but I thought that wearing and aging could have enhanced it. The marks continue all through the panel up to the shoulder, although less dramatic and more distanced.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Those don't appear to be crack lines; they are likely to be striations in the hide, natural creases the animal's skin had. Looks interesting.

Those don't appear to be crack lines; they are likely to be striations in the hide, natural creases the animal's skin had. Looks interesting.
x2. On many of my jackets, the underarm pieces have bits that look like they come from nearer the stomach area which is thinner and stretched - not unlike stretch marks on a person after giving birth. I actually have them on my hips from the summer between Jr High and High School as I grew ~4.5" in height. So I'd wager that the jacket is just fine - unique. You'll never confuse it with another one at a coat check :)

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I'd wager that the jacket is just fine - unique. You'll never confuse it with another one at a coat check :)

I'm doubtful. This is the only issue on an otherwise very good condition jacket, which I've been after for a while. But being the nitpicker that I am, I am afraid that it would end up bothering me. I wonder if these were considered factory seconds, or if it was common at the time.
Here is another pic:

img4396j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Haha I haven't bought it yet. I was and still am considering it, so I was sharing my concerns.
A perfectly boring jacket sometimes is what we want. My GW A-1 OTOH is a completely different beast with crazy hides. I love it - I'll never see another one anywhere like it. Up to you and your taste in the end. Good luck - you can always flip it if you don't love it.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
That's nice, Butte! Is it the same jacket or two different ones in the pics? Personally I think the look of markings is good for items that have a rugged feel to them already. Your jackets with its grainy reddish hide reminds me a lot of a hand-made duffel bag I bought in a Maroccan tannery a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany