Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crofut & Knapp Tales

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hello, Loungers. I want to take this opportunity to introduce you to a new member, one we are very honored to have here. His name is Philip Knapp Nelson, and he is the great-grandson of James H. Knapp, co-founder of Crofut & Knapp, one of our favorite hat companies. He's offered to share some of his family stories with us, and so I've created this thread for that purpose.

To kick things off, I thought I'd post some photos.

Here are James Howard Knapp, courtesy of Dr. Nelson, and a photo I have of Andrew J. Crofut, founders of the company.
JamesHKnapp.jpg
AndrewJCrofut.jpg

So, a big, warm, Fedora Lounge welcome to Dr. Philip Knapp Nelson!:eusa_clap

FactoryPhoto.jpg

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the lounge Mr. Nelson! I'm going to sit back and think of some worthwhile questions. We really appreciate you doing this.

Brad, thanks so much for making this happen!

B

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, buler, but I can't take credit for it. Mr. Nelson found us on his own, with the help of Google.:)

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This thread has the potential to be the greatest one on this site.
Welcome to the Lounge. :)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Welcome aboard Dr Nelson. It's lovely to have you with us. Even way down here in the Antipodes we share a deep respect and appreciation for your great granddad's work.

I'll look forward to hearing your tales.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are going to be a busy man Mr. Nelson. Your family's hats are quite the objects of desire, Thank you for joining us.

Philip K Nelson

New in Town
James Howard Knapp and his vest

th_JHKportrait.jpg

th_P9160024.jpghttp:

James Knapp was standing for a portrait by Hubert Vos- comissioned by Phil Knapp. As the work neared completion, Phil entered the room and after a brief inspection said that the vest was buttoned wrong, right over left. James admitted that he had spilled on it at breakfast and dismissed the complaint. Phil, a dandy, would not agree and ordered Mr. Vos to put the vest left over right. Vos just painted over the gaffe but not so well- you can see the lines of the first try. Phil told that story on many occasions.
PKN

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Oups, where ist the text and pics? :eusa_doh:

Ah, back, again. So here is my reply at the right place:

Nice anecdote! I like these bits of history. Just did a bit of research on Hubert Vos. He is an originally Dutch painter who traveled quite a bit an died in NY in 1935. Looks very much like one of his later paintings.

Philip K Nelson

New in Town
Hubert Vos

Nice to have some info about Vos. James Knapp died in 1913, and though not dated, it is signed on the reverse by Vos. So we know he was in Norwalk CT about 1910
PKN

Philip K Nelson

New in Town
th_150px-MacArthur_Manila1.jpg

th_50542179.jpg

I remember my grandfather, Phil Knapp, telling me about a special order from General Douglas MacArthur; the top generals of World War II were permitted to design their own, distinctive uniform. For Eisenhower it was the short fitted jacket; for Patton the silvered helmet, pistol belt with twin pearl-handled pistols, cavalry boots and trousers. For MacArthur the effect was all in his hat; a peaked officers hat highlighted by gold-dyed beaver fur embroidering the entire hat band, surmounted by an embroidered eagle and finished off with “scrambled eggs” on the visor; that plus his corn cob pipe and aviator dark glasses completed the effect. Mac Arthur placed an order with C&K Hats for a dozen of them at a cost of sixty dollars each, a large sum in 1941.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana