Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cruise Hat(s)??

JCBurns

Familiar Face
I've just recently booked my first ever cruise to the western Caribbean leaving from New Orleans in December. Any suggestions on what hat(s) to bring? I'm really curious if I'll even be able to wear one onboard...or will it simply fly off the ship?! Any suggestions? Lightweight Playboy or winter weight Royal Stetson? Also, do you think it's possible to pack a hat inside a suitcase? If it is done carefully and things are tightly packed around it? Thanks for any help all.

JCBurns

indycop

I'll Lock Up
After 3 disney cruises ,I will definitely bring hats! You are not always on the boat so you can wear them. the disney ship has a section of entertainment called route 66 which is perfect for Art's route 66! If nothing else bring them for the photo opportunities!

dnjan

One Too Many
Would you only be wearing the hat on deck? Or for shore excursions as well?

If you plan on bringing more than one hat, get a hard case (do a search on hat can). One hat can be kept on a plane by hanging it from the folded-up tray table, but I definitely would not try to pack a hat that I wanted to look decent the next day (unless you travel with a steamer :) ).

fatwoul

Practically Family
Cruises can have variable conditions, since a ship does not make for a large enough land mass to ensure reliable weather. Based on my experience of Cuba, the Caribbean could get a bit chilly, especially in the evenings. My suggestions would be:

* One felt, in a neutral colour, in case it gets more chilly. Perhaps look into one with a windtrolley, or as others have suggested, something of a more outback style with a chinstrap, so long as the strap is removable or capable of being stored when you don't feel like wearing it. This hat could either be a packable wool one, or a fur felt, depending on whether you were planning on wearing it when bording. If you're carrying luggage and dealing with tickets, etc, you might find a rigid hat more of a nuisance than one you can roll up and put in your pocket. I only say this because I don't know how cruises work or where you might be going, so they might want to do biometric passport stuff when you board, for which you'd need to remove your hat.

* One newsboy or (heaven forbid) beanie, in case it gets chilly or very windy.

* One cheaper panama for if the weather is still and hot. An optimo style one might allow you to roll it up and pack it.

That's what I'd take if it was me. When I visit the US next I fully intend to survive the trip with one hat, although I have yet to decide which one that will be.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Caribbean hat

IMHO, the best hat for a cruise is a Tilley hat. Keeps the sun off your noggin, smooshes well for packing, and has the appropriate straps to keep it from blowing away.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah the Greek fisherman or the "skipper" cap in white or blue. No matter what you where wind on deck can whip it off.[huh]

Akubra Guy

New in Town
Take nothing expensive on the cruise. I take my well worn Tanbark Brown Snowy River with chinstrap (I wear it when traveling) and pack a couple of Tan/Khaki "Boonies" to wear on excursions and water-sports activities, except snorkeling. I am fair skinned and can get sun poisoning easily so I always wear a hat outside, besides the sunscreens etc. The wind can be fierce at times whether in port or at sea and I am not going to take anything expensive or dear and run the risk of losing it or having it stolen.

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Yohanes said:
Greek Fisherman cap! :)
This is more appropriate to the '70s era (pardon my mention of that benighted time) when Greek Fisherman's caps were a fad, but do recall Roy Blount Jr.'s comment that "No one should wear a Greek Fisherman's cap who is not (a) Greek and (b) a fisherman." :D

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Expect a lot of Skipper and Gilligan comments with the fisherman's cap, maybe even some confusion with regard to your being in the ship's crew. Never mind that it's not what Skipper was wearing, people are dense that way.

Much as it's tempting to bring along a good hat aboard a ship, the last thing you need is one of your beauties sailing over the rail in slow motion a la Miller's Crossing. Take something you don't mind losing that'll protect your neck, ears, face and scalp.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Aerol said:
IMHO, the best hat for a cruise is a Tilley hat. Keeps the sun off your noggin, smooshes well for packing, and has the appropriate straps to keep it from blowing away.

And while you're away, would it be possible for me to keep the hat in your avatar for safe-keeping? That's one fine lookin' lid, sir!

I'm curious. Specs?

--Not the Lulu

Aerol

A-List Customer

It's a lulu of a hat.

It's a made-in-England Lock & Co. that I bought at Brooks Brothers in NY in (I shudder to admit this) in the early '70s. It has the original sweatband, the original ribbon, the original price tag and I keep it in the original box. It's unlined, and soft to the touch. Two years ago I had Optimo clean & block it. It does have a minor moth nibble or two. (I didn't spot them, Graham had to point them out to me.)

If only I could wear it! Yes, you read that right, it's too small for my now swollen head. It's a US 7-1/4, and I wear a 7-1/2 LO. I'm not sure why I still keep it around; probably a combination of inertia and sentimentality.

Of course, if it had a good home......

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Aerol said:
It's a lulu of a hat.

It's a made-in-England Lock & Co. that I bought at Brooks Brothers in NY in (I shudder to admit this) in the early '70s. It has the original sweatband, the original ribbon, the original price tag and I keep it in the original box. It's unlined, and soft to the touch. Two years ago I had Optimo clean & block it. It does have a minor moth nibble or two. (I didn't spot them, Graham had to point them out to me.)

If only I could wear it! Yes, you read that right, it's too small for my now swollen head. It's a US 7-1/4, and I wear a 7-1/2 LO. I'm not sure why I still keep it around; probably a combination of inertia and sentimentality.

Of course, if it had a good home......

I'm a 7 1/2 myself!!! Where's a head-shrinking pygmy when you need one?

RedPop4

One Too Many
When the ship is in motion, the draft is great, so a bucket hat would be a better choice. You don't really need to go outdoors or on deck, usually, to get from your stateroom to the dining room, so it's pointless to bring a hat as you won't likely be outside and able to actually don the hat.

The buckets will be equally good for the beach and excursions, unless you're actually disembarking in a port-of-call to go to a dressy restaurant, which is about the only time you'd need a good fedora. We went on the Disney Wonder in early March and I did wear my newly acquired (Disney/MGM Studios)Dorfman-Pacific Indy into Nassau on a tour. But we were in a van on a tour, and walked from the downton area to the Graycliff and back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk