Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crushable Fedora Shape Help!

Joe45

New in Town
Hello!
I can't find this having already been addressed, so here goes:

I bought a Dorfman Pacific Indiana Jones fedora as a beater hat-something I can wear doing yardwork, going off road, etc.

The brim shape/rake is really bothering me. They have the brim shaped too exaggerated-more like a cowboy hat.
I see that the edge is folded over and there seems to be some kind of chord in there. It isn't wire, I don't think, because it does not hold any shape if bent. I'm thinking a plastic strip or maybe even a thick twine.

Anyone dealt with this?

I am thinking of:

1. Undoing a little section of the edge stitching at the back, seeing what's in there (plastic?) and attaching a long, similar section of material and pulling it through as I pull out the original. If the tension is what is doing this, I can measure the original section and put in something a little longer. That is if the brim will allow this once relieved of the stress/pull of the original.

2. Simply pulling out the original tube/wire/whatever and see if just the folded over edge will now keep a better shape.

Any ideas?

RBH

Bartender
Hello!

I bought a Dorfman Pacific Indiana Jones fedora as a beater hat-something I can wear doing yardwork, going off road, etc.

The brim shape/rake is really bothering me. They have the brim shaped too exaggerated-more like a cowboy hat.
I see that the edge is folded over and there seems to be some kind of chord in there. It isn't wire, I don't think, because it does not hold any shape if bent. I'm thinking a plastic strip or maybe even a thick twine.

Anyone dealt with this?

I am thinking of:

1. Undoing a little section of the edge stitching at the back, seeing what's in there (plastic?) and attaching a long, similar section of material and pulling it through as I pull out the original. If the tension is what is doing this, I can measure the original section and put in something a little longer. That is if the brim will allow this once relieved of the stress/pull of the original.

2. Simply pulling out the original tube/wire/whatever and see if just the folded over edge will now keep a better shape.

Any ideas?

I wear one of these type hats at work in the winter, a Sunbody in summer.
They are relatively inexpensive hats that serves the purpose.
Hope this link helps!

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/reshaping-the-brim-on-a-wool-hat.34055/

Joe45

New in Town
I wear one of these type hats at work in the winter, a Sunbody in summer.
They are relatively inexpensive hats that serves the purpose.
Hope this link helps!

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/reshaping-the-brim-on-a-wool-hat.34055/
Thank you.
My hat is new and the problem is with the original, out of the box shape. They did a modern cowboy hat style to the brim, which I detest.
This is the second time this happens. I returned another hat due to the ridiculous brim shape and ordered the Indiana Jones one because it was on sale.
Very annoying that, at least from my experience, the hat they show on websites has a relatively good shape, but when you receive the hat, it is totally different.

Anyway...
This is not due to wear or getting wet, but seems to be from some kind of stiffening material sewn into the brim edge. I would say it's plastic.
I am going to contact Dorfman Pacific and see if they can at least tell me what;s in there.

Joe45

New in Town
Dorfman hasn't gotten back to me. No big deal.

I cut a few of the stitches at the back of the brim fold, cut the insert, and pulled it out.
Looks to be the same as a heavy fishing line.
IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

Was easy to slip back in by just pushing it. I did pull it back out and left it out. I think the hat looks a little better-not like I really want it to, but better. Seems the line provided a certain tension to maintain the exaggerated rake.

I figure maybe adding some stiffener to the felt will let me lift the rear of the brim up a little bit, and also the front, which still drops a bit too much. Not really essential, as this is a beater hat, but may be worth a try.

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Ne
Hello!

Anyone dealt with this?

I am thinking of:

Any ideas?
Next hat give some serious thought to buying an Akubra. Good fur felt, they will stand up to all manner of use and abuse. Buy direct from Aus you will get a much better hat, that will look good and last much much longer than a low end Dorfman. Akubra is much better value for your money.

Who?

Practically Family
Ne

Next hat give some serious thought to buying an Akubra. Good fur felt, they will stand up to all manner of use and abuse. Buy direct from Aus you will get a much better hat, that will look good and last much much longer than a low end Dorfman. Akubra is much better value for your money.
This man knows whereof he speaks.

Since the company has been sold, it may be smart to grab one now, before the new owners can tinker with things. (as they inevitably will)

Joe45

New in Town
Ne

I agree. I have an Akubra Territory purchased over ten years ago or so. It's been crushed, stepped on, sat on, disappeared under some boxes while moving... damn thing still is in good shape! I just need to do something to stiffen the brim a little, since it's gotten a bit soft. Also, it stayed in the sun once or twice for too long and then wouldn't fit. I discovered that the hat band had shrunk considerably. I removed it and put a hat stretcher contraption in the hat, steamed it, and slowly stretched it a little. Did the trick.
My only beef with that hat is that the leather sweat band gets slimy in the summer, and stiff and cold in the winter. Would rather it have a cloth band.

Yesterday I received a brand new 28 Eastern Byron from OZ, and will order an Akubra Stylemaster soon-this one being, obviously, for more subdued endeavors than tromping around the outback.

I thought the dorfman would be a little better thought out. It'll be fine though, for some things. Still, I agree: would rather wait next time and spend three or four times more on an Akubra!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner