Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuba changes stand on public smoking

Michaelson

One Too Many
I just read a news blurb (I guess that's a real word. (grins) that states Cuba has decided to take a stand against public cigar smoking and smoking in general, considering second hand smoke to be a public hazard, and trying to curtail the start of young folks from taking up the habit.

This is news in itself, but the list of the public places is what amused me....they included all government offices, hospitals, hospital parking lots, public transportation, taxi's and taxi stands...and FUNERAL HOMES!!!

Uh, isn't a bit late by to worry about it there? [huh] :)

Regards. Michaelson

up196

A-List Customer
Well I dunno . . .

. . . about the smoke at the funeral, but I remember my father's tale of a wake he attended at the home of the deceased in Pearl River in the 1930s. After most of the mourners had left, a few of the men remained through the night, and at some point, the whiskey bottle and a shot glass made an appearance. Before long, they had the casket propped up against the wall so that everyone there, and I mean EVERYONE, could take turns having a shot!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Now THAT'S how a funeral is SUPPOSED to be run, in my personal opinion! And I should know, as I once worked in that area many many years ago! One should be celebrating one's life, rather than wringing out as much misery as one can from the family and attending friends with the canned Hammond organ music coming from the speakers, and folks talking in 'hushed tones'. I mean, who do they think they're going to disturb? The fellow in the 'flip top box' isn't going to care one way or the other.
Sorry if I seem a bit brusk, but man, I've had to sit through some really sad affairs, and I surely hope than when it's time for ME to move on, my family decides that it's going to be a celebration of my life that is performed as a funeral ceremony, rather than a durge. Play some foot stomping ragtime music as they cart me off! I may decide to stay! :p :cheers1: High regards. Michaelson

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
Play some foot stomping ragtime music as they cart me off! I may decide to stay! :p :cheers1:

Ooh, that threat right there is probably what's gonna make them go for the canned Hammond organ...(that sounds a lot like Spam...)

My family is big and Irish. It's usually fun, it's usually a bit loud. Crying? Sure, but also a lot of that celebration you're wishing for. Give me a call after you pass on and I'll swing by your funeral to help liven it up. [huh] [angel]

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
You can bet that if a bully like Castro gives up smoking everybody else was gonna have to. That is the part that makes me ill. If the man ever gave up sex Cuba would be doomed. Sex would be outlawed just because he didn't enjoy it anymore. I think I will light up a Cuban cigar right now in memory of all those under his oppressive rule. :cool2:

farnham54

A-List Customer
I'm with you guys on the Funeral thing. Before I took this trip, I had to write out a will for insurance purposes (Insurance wouldn't cover Legal fees of organizing my "estate"--uhh...computer, air matress, and TV?? Who wants THAT!)

In the will, I had to include plans for my own funeral--now, after bequathing all of my posessions to the appropriate people, and being only 19 with death about as far away from my mind as Graduation, I was mighty down about the world. Wills are depressing things. But, I made myself feel better with my funeral plan.

Hawaiian shirt policy. No casket, just a photo. After the service, open bar at local hall, with not-depressing music playing. Required that everybody tell at least ONE good story about me. Story must be funny, not sentimental. Anybody crying excessivly (what excessive is to be decided by my ever-optimistic friend Will) will be shot....with a rubber dart gun.

In other words, a happy memory with a bit of absurdity, a fair bit of drink and music, and a lot of easy going goodness. The summation of my life so far :D

Cheers,

Craig

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Farnham - It's interesting that you made out your will at such a young age. I never had to think about such matters at 19 years of age either. Don't let the action of making a will depress you: its an expansive act, changing your focus to planning for the future.

If you were to die tomorrow, your family would appreciate the planning and certainity that a will provides. In times of death, emotions are high, and a will/funeral plan helps direct the energies of those left behind. I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that the addition of a living revocable trust and a health-care advanced directive/durable power of attorney are helpful as well. A will can be challenged in probate court, and my be deemed null and void in several states. In addition, a will is not in force unless you are dead, in other words, useless if you are incapicated. A LRT would provide an additional degree of protection. Advanced directives/DPA would outline your wishes for care should you not be of sound mind to make your own medical decisons, and appoint someone you trust to make those decisions.

Having these documents drawn up by a lawyer should only cost a few hundred dollars - even less should you choose to use a computer program to make them yourself. It might seem needless right now, especially for those who don't have a lot of assets (home, car, recreational vehilcles, investments), but it becomes more important down the road.

Lastly, it's my opinion that planning for such things is the final gentlemanly statement that can be made in one's lifetime. It reduces the burden to one's survivors. It also can save alot of money if you do have sizable assets, as it reduces estate taxation of assets, especially in instances where one doesn't have a spouse.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Well said, particularily the last part about Gentlmanly Acts (I'm at a net kiosk and cannot cut and paste)

I honestly would never have even thought about doing a will--if it were not for the travel insurance requiring it I still would not have one. However, I must say, there were times (Particularly the day I rented the scooter in Rome :eek: ) when I was real glad I had it!

Yes, as others who had a similar idea pointed out, having a "fun" or non-melancholic (sp?) funeral seems like a very nice idea, however, it's the next of kin who really get the say--I may be alone here, but I can see my traditional, Irish-farm raised mother to be somewhat opposed to Hawaiian Shirts at her "little boy's" funeral. And I can see why, of course, I wouldn't blame her for not likeing the idea. But god bless her, I know she would go with it if it was what I wanted.

However, let's cross the bridge of my funeral when we come to it. Hopefully quite a few years from now!!! :D

Cheers,

Craig

Canadave

One Too Many
Brad A. Cox said:
You can bet that if a bully like Castro gives up smoking everybody else was gonna have to. That is the part that makes me ill. If the man ever gave up sex Cuba would be doomed. Sex would be outlawed just because he didn't enjoy it anymore. I think I will light up a Cuban cigar right now in memory of all those under his oppressive rule. :cool2:

He quit almost 20 years ago. These new laws are just the way of the world.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff