Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban cigars now legal in USA.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
It will be interesting to see if I will still enjoy them quite as much now that they have lost some of the romantic veneer associated with being "contraband".
I've had a few. They were all wonderful. Maybe that they were gifts made them even better.

Also, there was a tobacconist in the DC area that had acquired a supply of pre-embargo Cuban tobacco from an estate. Fine stuff!

I've had a few. They were all wonderful. Maybe that they were gifts made them even better.

Also, there was a tobacconist in the DC area that had acquired a supply of pre-embargo Cuban tobacco from an estate. Fine stuff!

See bolded above. Sounds like the high-end version of the electronics guy in the '70s who used to have great prices because his stuff "fell off the back of a truck."

When should the first legal Cuban cigars be hitting the shops?

Bigger Don

Practically Family
See bolded above. Sounds like the high-end version of the electronics guy in the '70s who used to have great prices because his stuff "fell off the back of a truck."
I figure with all the lawyers in the DC area they would have been sued severely if they didn't have the provenance. The name of the shop was Signature (just looked it up). I spent a few Saturdays in the lounge watching baseball. Heckuva way to spend out-of-town time.

When should the first legal Cuban cigars be hitting the shops?
Dunno. Just saw a piece that tobacconists were complaining because tourists can bring cigars back but the shops can't order them for re-sale. I'm sure there will be no political deals for who gets to import them. Sure I am. Right.

I figure with all the lawyers in the DC area they would have been sued severely if they didn't have the provenance. The name of the shop was Signature (just looked it up). I spent a few Saturdays in the lounge watching baseball. Heckuva way to spend out-of-town time...

I'm sure you're right, the story just sounded so "off the back of the truck."

...Dunno. Just saw a piece that tobacconists were complaining because tourists can bring cigars back but the shops can't order them for re-sale. I'm sure there will be no political deals for who gets to import them. Sure I am. Right.

Everything is honest because we're told it's honest. :)

One of the percs of being a Canadian is (was) access to Cuban cigars. IMHO they are, in general, overrated/overpriced. Don't get me wrong, they are fine cigars but even the prices I paid in Havana were too high. The quality has improved from the spotty quality produced during the boom years of the cigar. The only great deals are to be had buying the cigars from the growers that would make a few on the side and sell them for a buck or two a stick. Not well made but it was Cuban tobacco and they smoked okay. But you had to travel outside the city to get them unless you had a trusted source.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I fired up a Montecristo this afternoon; accompanied by a nice Czech dark beer. It was mighty fine and the change in legal status didn't seem to bother me too much.

I don't smoke.

What's the word on Cuban rums? I would love to get a bottle of real Havana Club.
It is nothing special. When I first visited Havana I bought the Havana Club Anejo (7 year old) rum, $2 a glass but after a while realized they just served me the 3 year old ($1 a glass). So stopped ordering the expensive one and relaxed about it all instead of being "on guard" all the time. For the money there are much better rums on the market. In Canada we can buy Havana Club at our liquor stores and of the numerous bottles of rum in my bin it is rarely one of them. There is a rum available only in Cuba as far as I know, "Bocoy", the distillery is out by the big graveyard and it would be my Cuban rum of choice but have never seen it outside of Havana.

IMHO they are, in general, overrated/overpriced. Don't get me wrong, they are fine cigars but even the prices I paid in Havana were too high. The quality has improved from the spotty quality produced during the boom years of the cigar.
I would agree. Most of the good individual blenders & rollers have left for the US & stay busy with their own hand rolled cigars now.

AdeeC

Practically Family
It is nothing special. When I first visited Havana I bought the Havana Club Anejo (7 year old) rum, $2 a glass but after a while realized they just served me the 3 year old ($1 a glass). So stopped ordering the expensive one and relaxed about it all instead of being "on guard" all the time. For the money there are much better rums on the market. In Canada we can buy Havana Club at our liquor stores and of the numerous bottles of rum in my bin it is rarely one of them. There is a rum available only in Cuba as far as I know, "Bocoy", the distillery is out by the big graveyard and it would be my Cuban rum of choice but have never seen it outside of Havana.
Agree Havana Club is OK but my go to everyday rum is Santiago de Cuba Anejo. I find it far superior. After trying out a different rum I always find it comforting going back to this old faithful. In Australia it is about 20% cheaper than Havana Club Anejo. It is fantastic value.

One of the percs of being a Canadian is (was) access to Cuban cigars. IMHO they are, in general, overrated/overpriced. Don't get me wrong, they are fine cigars but even the prices I paid in Havana were too high. The quality has improved from the spotty quality produced during the boom years of the cigar. The only great deals are to be had buying the cigars from the growers that would make a few on the side and sell them for a buck or two a stick. Not well made but it was Cuban tobacco and they smoked okay. But you had to travel outside the city to get them unless you had a trusted source.

There are two issues at work:

1. Some experts estimate that up to 90% of all cigars in the world sold as "Cuban" are fakes. I don't know if it's 90%, but it's a high percentage, well over half. And that includes in Cuba. So unless you know exactly what you're getting, and you're buying from a trusted, high-end dealer, you're probably getting a cheap knockoff.

2. Cuba is capable of making some bad cigars, just like the rest of the world. Being made in Cuba doesn't guarantee that it's a quality smoke.

That said, there's still something special about the real thing. You can make all the cigars you want using "Cuban seed", but it's simply not the same as tobacco grown in Cuban soil.

As for availability here in the US, it'll be a long, long legal mess to get brands sorted out before you'll see your favorites in US retail shops. But, you will be able to get them legally shipped to you from retailers in Canada or Europe.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Years ago we had the tv advert for Manikin cigars with the dusky maiden rolling the cigar on her thigh. I was a teenager then and it did wonders!

Thing is, they were made in the Freeman's cigar factory on an industrial estate in Cardiff, South Wales, where I'm from. I used to see the "dusky maidens" coming out at the end of the day and I wouldn't touch anything rolled on their thighs! Some real old biddies!

Gareth

Years ago we had the tv advert for Manikin cigars with the dusky maiden rolling the cigar on her thigh. I was a teenager then and it did wonders!

Thing is, they were made in the Freeman's cigar factory on an industrial estate in Cardiff, South Wales, where I'm from. I used to see the "dusky maidens" coming out at the end of the day and I wouldn't touch anything rolled on their thighs! Some real old biddies!

Gareth

My grandmother was a cigar roller back in the day. But she didn't look like this:

7b2e6144aab20dcd027efd5dd02e08f6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana