Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cuff links

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Its a small detail, but could be a nice one. Do you know if there were special designs for cuff links in the Golden Era, something modern ones did not look like, or were they the same as today?
Id thought about it, this morning, when I took mine on, some normal with black stones in it.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Speaking from personal experience, chain-linked cufflinks can be a #@^% to manage. I had a pair once and threw them out rather than subject anyone else to the difficulty of trying to take them off. They were new, and weren't terribly nice-- some kind of dark gray metal, with a "9" engraved in one side-- so it was no real loss of some vintage treasure, or else I would have kept them just for novelty. But, yeah, I cannot really reccomend the chain-linked sort unless you have very nimble fingers and/or a great deal of time and patience.

There is a style where a decorative length of mesh is attached to the stud portion, and it wraps around the outer edge of the cuff and is fastened to the inner part of the sleeve by hooking it over the latch of the cufflinks. (Sorry, I'm not particularly well-versed in clothing terminology). I've read that these were favored in the "swinger" scene of the 1950s-- maybe someone here can shed some more light on this style and their history.

Erewhon

New in Town
... the links that are missing are the snap linked ones, these allowed you to roll your sleeves up as you worked on your novel or designed a skyscraper - without removing the cufflinks. Generally in bright machined metal, or in pearl.They are easy to put in, don't catch on anything, and don't fall out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points