Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and cuffs

Canadave

One Too Many
I've owned a couple of shirts with french cuffs over the years. These are the cuffs that fold back over themselves and receive cuff links. (Is this the same cuff that Matt refers to as "double-cuffs" in another thread?)

When I ordered my custom shirt, there was another option for a cuff that received cufflinks, but it basically looked like a normal cuff without buttons and with a button hole on each end of the cuff (for the link).

Does anyone know anything about this style cuff? How available are they off the rack?

Thanks,

David

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's called a "single cuff" (as opposed to double) and is the technically correct cuff for formal wear. I don't know where you would get one in RTW, but they would be perfectly appropriate for business use; I want to get some shirts with the single cuff myself.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I just bought 2 custom shirts, and I asked for convertible cuffs. It has a button, but there are two holes ( the button is next to one of the holes). The holes are used for cuff links, which would be a single cuff, but you can choose to just wear it with the button, which is good for days when you don't want the hassle of putting in the cufflinks.

Canadave

One Too Many
Ghos7a55assin said:
I just bought 2 custom shirts, and I asked for convertible cuffs. It has a button, but there are two holes ( the button is next to one of the holes). The holes are used for cuff links, which would be a single cuff, but you can choose to just wear it with the button, which is good for days when you don't want the hassle of putting in the cufflinks.

I recently noticed that I have this on a ready-to-wear shirt. I hadn't noticed the extra buttonhole before! (Still haven't tried it out, though. :rolleyes: )

David

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
i have this on a couple of ready to wears as well I like em well enough to show off my cuff links but they arn't as nice as say my fench cuffed shirts.....one thing I like to do is wear the french cuffed with the cuff folded out some days and other days folded in......mind you I don't wear sits to work......but it has a eclectic feel which suits me well

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I wear my french cuff shirts like that too: sometimes I'll button both ends (all four layers) of the sleeve, which is the traditional means. Other times, I won't button one of the layers on the sleeve, and other times just the two inside layers (with the other two outside layers unbuttoned). It's usually easier to do this with either silk knot cufflinks or a double-button fastener...which is two buttons stitched with about 1/4 inch between them.

The look is particularly hot with a blazer and a pair of jeans. You are, in effect, just 'zsu-zsu''ing the sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk