Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curious George: Bad for kids?

Feraud

Bartender
It is fascinating to read the changes in the storylines and the Curious George character with hindsight.
This quote is interesting.
Greenstone suggests that the Reys lost faith in their original madcap vision and hitched George to psychological theories that viewed children as sensitive flowers and potential neurotics.
I question whether the authors of the Curious George books intendedto take the character in a different direction. Is it possible the changes were unconscious and merely reflecting the authors' personal feelings? I wonder if Greenstone provides any real proof the Reys chose to soften the Curious George stories. Greenstone is criticizing with 65 years hindsight.

Did anyone see this remade movie? Is it the "old" Curious George or the newer "wuss" version? :)

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Interesting read- I remember George from gradeschool days and in recent years upon picking up the Rey books had noticed the "stuff" the referenced author was sharing as well.....

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
HEY!!!

Hey, whats wrong with you dudes any monkey whose friend wheres a big yellow hat is a made gone cat @ this website!

SC :p

matei

One Too Many
They made a film about this? How bizarre...

I know what/who Curious George is, but I never learned to read with those stories. I think it was a bit before my time?

Irena

One of the Regulars
matei said:
They made a film about this? How bizarre...

I know what/who Curious George is, but I never learned to read with those stories. I think it was a bit before my time?

I remember reading Curious George books when I was little, and I'm only 18. But then, my mom read them as a kid, also.

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
My favorite

Curious George was my favorite when I was growing up in the 60s. I don't remember the psycologically correct ones. I still have some of them, and my children love them too.

The Rey's also wrote a wonderful book on constellations. My oldest daughter knew more constellations at 5 than I know now. Elizabite is a great peom about a botonist finding a venus fly trap that has a fantastic appetite.

I guess I think as much of psychological correctness as I do of political correctness.

Robert

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I am glad you shared that article with us. I read Curious George as a child because my aunt let me read her anthology of his stories. I have never bothered to check out the modern Curious George stories as they do not interest me and I believe the first few did the job just fine. But because I haven't read the originals in such a long time I can't quite make the connection between the original George (though I remember his antics in the first story and the one with the hospital) and this "wussy" version. It does however spark my own curiosity and I think when I eventually buy my own copy of the anthology (whenever I have children more than likely) I'm sure I'll remember this and give it some thought.

L_H

Dalexs

Practically Family
It's always a pleasure to share interesting items like that, because I know it usually isn't available elsewhere. And I know that a large part of this crowd would appreciate it.

It showed up in our paper, most likely becasue the Reys were local.
In fact I worked with her niece for a number of years.

The funny thing is, I grew up reading CG, I have a bunch of the earliest books including an anthology version, I love reading them to my kids and they love them too.
I never really looked at the stories in the light the author was talking about.

Some people really know how to ruin childhood memories.
Everything today is too PC. How dull is that.

It reminds me that I have a really cool story my boss sent me which I will share when I find it. (Mostly about surviving growing up in the 50/60s'.)

Dalexs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana