Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curious George

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
New animated film based on the popular 1940's childrens book. Rated G. Some woman in California is complaining that it is offensive to her 4 year old who complained to her that George is being treated unfairly and inhumanely. What some people will do to get attention and their names on the news.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Yep, it's official:

So-called political correctness is out of hand. The masterminds behind Curious George, the movie, decided that it was bad form for "the man in the yellow hat" to capture George to take him to a zoo. Instead, TMITYH now is an archaeologist who was in Africa searching for artifacts, and he captures George quite by accident, as earlier noted. The film's director told USA Today back in December that capturing a monkey for a zoo would seem overly harsh in today's society -- that viewers would be off-put by such a story line.

What's off-putting for me is changing the original story like this. I have to confess, I love Curious George. (I still have the stuffed animal I was given for my second birthday. I'm 33.) I gave my first niece a copy of the complete CG stories, and she never had any moral or ethical qualms when the stories were read to her. People need to learn to leave the classics alone.

What's next -- doing a remake of Winnie the Pooh, where Pooh swears off honey and condensed milk, instead taking to a low-carb diet to satisfy the food police?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I loved Curious George, too.
It never occurred to me that the concept was deep enough to be politically incorrect, just a set of silly stories about a monkey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider