Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curlers and hair loss

CaliBombshell

New in Town
Hello all! I have a question about rolling my hair. I have been putting it up in curlers once sometimes twice a week for about nine months. I could be nuts but I think my hair is thinning out where I put the curlers. It seems like everytime I section it the part is wider. Does rolling your hair pull it at all? I am freaking out. I totally need my hair. What should I do? Please help. Thanks in advance.

CaliBombshell

New in Town
I use the kind that snap. I can't remember what they are called right now but they are leopard printed and they have snaps on the ends. My hair is long. It goes down to the small of my back in the back and just below my shoulders in front ( I have a "U" ish haircut that I snip myself). The curlers with the snaps work well for me because my hair can spiral around the whole rod. Should I change to something else? That won't make a new hair loss pattern? Ah! When I go to bed with curlers I tie a silky scarf around my head so they don't rub and pull. Any help or suggestions would be fantastic.

Should I get a perm and insist they roll it the way I have been rolling it? I'm very terrible at getting hairstylists to do what I want. I always leave upset. That's why I cut my own hair but if it would work I guess I could bring someone with me as a backup spine. Thanks again!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The kind you're using are called pillow rollers. I also use them and think they're the best. Are you sure there's actually a problem? Unless you're sectioning your hair in the exact same spots every time, I just don't see how this is possible. If for some reason you are sectioning it the same every time, try moving your sections around.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I agree with Kitty. The rollers you are using, IMO. are among the most gentle on the market. I've been using perm rods, and occasionally brush curlers (definitely not for sleeping), and I haven't noticed any hair loss, or excessive damage.

Blondie

Practically Family
CaliBombshell said:
Hello all! I have a question about rolling my hair. I have been putting it up in curlers once sometimes twice a week for about nine months. I could be nuts but I think my hair is thinning out where I put the curlers. It seems like everytime I section it the part is wider. Does rolling your hair pull it at all? I am freaking out. I totally need my hair. What should I do? Please help. Thanks in advance.
What happens is ,over time, where you section the hair, it pulls, then the hair stops growing there, STOP using rollers straight away and use pin curls, dont pull it tight either !
This happens alot with black women who braid their hair, plenty of info on it on the web. Also ballerina's who pull their hair straight back off their face into a tight bun,eventually their hairline receeds.
If you stop rollering it now it will not get any worse & may grow back, maybe try bangs for a while ?
Hope that helps answer your question ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Blondie said:
What happens is ,over time, where you section the hair, it pulls, then the hair stops growing there, STOP using rollers straight away and use pin curls, dont pull it tight either !

Why wouldn't just changing the location of your sections work? I know when I curl my hair, my sections are never in exactly the same place.

Also, you will not get as good of a curl if you don't have the hair wrapped tightly around the roller. You will find this info in any cosmetology book.

Inky

One Too Many
Hi CaliBombShell and welcome to the Lounge.

I agree, those are generally very gentle rollers, especially since you don't have to use any damaging heat, but if you are pulling tight when you roll, and/or your hair is heavy and long, and/or always rolling in the same setting pattern, you could be putting strain on the hair in that section and causing some loss just like Blondie mentioned.

I lost a great deal of hair after a major surgery in 2007, but it's all growing back, so there is hope :) I really noticed the loss most in my part area as well because my hair was very long and heavy at the time, and I changed from a center part to a side part (which I prefer, go figure) to help with the obvious look of my hair loss.

I would first give your hair a break from setting for a few months or setting it less often and definitely try a different setting pattern (changing it up often so you don't cause the same problem in a different area) in order for the rolling stress to be moved around on your head. Using a silk scarf as they dry to hold the weight and when you sleep is a great idea, keep that up.

I would avoid a perm at this point myself as I wouldn't want to add any more potential damage to the situation.

Good luck and post a pic of yourself sometime :)

Blondie

Practically Family
You could try changing the sectioning parts, all that will happen is you will get the bald lines there too after a while.
For some women the action of pulling the hair around a roller leads to bald lines, i have done a lot of research on this topic, and everything i have read leads me to the same conclusion, either use pin curls or change to bangs to give the hair a rest if you are one of the unlucky ones who leans towards this problem.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Hair loss can be a result of a other things as well. If you are very stressed right now it can certainly cause hair loss. Also many women suffer hair loss as they get older. I noticed mine thinned out a bit after I hit 30 or so. It hasn't gotten any worse but a number of women I know have had the same thing happen. I also have read that if your diet is unbalanced or unhealthy that thinning hair can happen.

As far as the curlers go, I did notice breakage in mine when brushing mine out until I got a paddle type brush.

Good luck-

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
CaliBombshell said:

I agree with everyone else, stop using them. I don't like them because I roll around a lot, in bed, because of my back. The rollers drive me flipping nuts!
I was once on medication that made my hair fall out...I about died(my self esteem went down the drain with the hair)....I went straight to womens Rogaine...I think I caught it in time, my hair quickly restored itself...now I am back to breakage issues. :eusa_doh:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
There is such a thing as traction alopecia. That is hair loss caused by repeated pulling. It is sometimes caused by repeated tight braiding. If you pull the hair tight when you curl, this could be the culprit. I'm no expert, but I don't think adding chemicals to already unhappy hair is a really good idea. I'd say consider a less pulling method for curling or combine that with an entirely new pattern for setting to give the affected area a break.

On the other hand, the other gals are right, there are other causes to hair loss. If your hair is thinning anywhere but where it could be traction alopecia, you may want to consider a trip to the doctor. Hair loss can be a sign of many conditions from nutrient deficiency, to stress, to disease.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I shed a lot just naturally (and I mean a lot). Washing my hair, combing it, running my fingers through it all takes out little hair clumps. But I've never had my rollers cause any loss.
And your only doing in twice a week so that's really not a ton of stress on the hair. Does your hair break or fall out easily from other activities? (washing, brushing ect)

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Depending on your hair type, texture and services it has recieved you could be breaking your hair off with the rollers. It would be best to do a test run for a month or so of not using them and use a curling iron if you need curl in your hair. Don't use hot rollers as they are heavy and could cause more of a hair loss.

CaliBombshell

New in Town
Thanks for your responses ladies. I appreciate all the info. I do section my hair in just about the exact same sections every time. I don't pull it too tight but it is long. Will pin curls be a nightmare for long hair? Can I make larger sections or should I keep the sections at one inch ish? How long should I wait to see improvement before I go to a doctor? Thanks again for the guidance. I appreciate it.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I've heard that parting your hair in the same place every time can lead to breakage. I keep trying to remember to change up my part a bit, but it's easy to forget.

I stopped using curlers when I was in NY because they wouldn't hold anyway, and for those 10 days, I had a lot less breakage. However, I do use Hot Sticks, not pillow rollers, and my hair tends to stick to the rubber and snap. I found some good replacements though that are essentially heated "pillow" hot sticks, so I might switch to them in a bit.

My hair tends to bounce back pretty quickly if I give the curlers a rest though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points