Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

curls vs. waves

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I picked up some hot rollers and gave them a try. When I set my hair in rollers or pin curls, it takes about 24hrs to dry, so I don't do it very often. The hot rollers gave me tight curl in less than an hour. However, no matter how much I tried to brush through the curl, I didn't get the nice wave that I usually get with a set. Any recommendations or suggestions?
kamikat

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Did you try spraying your hair with hair spray while the rollers were in? Also, I find my curls last longer if I curl my hair right after I've dried my hair with a hair dryer...but I can't have damp spots or it'll go limp. I tried sponge rollers this week and man does the curl last...very tight curls. But yeah, hot rollers are much easier and less time consuming. What kind of a wave are you trying to get?

Shorty

New in Town
Here's tip when using rollers or hot rollers.

Spray some setting lotion to your hair before rolling it.
Setting lotions are usually used to towel dryed hair (I don't know other words to say that, I'm from Finland remember...). After applying setting lotion roll your hair and dry it with a hair dryer. Heat from the hair dryer activates the setting lotion and it gives support to your hair and makes better curls.
Some of the lotions can be used in dry hair if you want to use hot rollers.
I've never tried pin curls but when I have some spare time I'll try.
I think I will lose my nervs trying to do pin curls but I want to see if I can really create a 40's hairdo that way.

Hope you understood what I'm trying to say...

:rolleyes:

ITG

Call Me a Cab
You're the 2nd person to tell me about setting lotion. Is that the stuff African American's put in their hair? I'm really not familar with "setting lotion".

Shorty

New in Town
I use Goldwell Trendline Volume Lotion which you can find from hairdressers. I use only products sold at hairdressers. They may cost little bit more but they are worth it!
No these poducts are not that thing African American use in their hair.

I don't know which are popular products in USA but here in Finland Wella and Goldwell are very popular.
I'd like to attach a picture from a Volume Lotion bottle but I don't know how to do that....

Visit this website www.goldwellusa.com choose Products => Styling => Trendline. There you can find styling products but I didn't see the Trendline Volume Lotion in these sites. Maybe not all products you find in Finland are not sold in the USA.
But now you know what I'm talking about.
Just visit a hairdresser and she/he will tell you which products to use with rolls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points