Cushionaire, Cushioned for Comfort, Comfort Fit, Cushion Comfort, and Air-Vac Sweatbands

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Sep 10, 2019.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I’ve been noticing similar sweatbands on various make hats and wondered if anyone knows their story. I also see the same style of sweat using the name “Cushioned for Comfort,” Comfort Fit, and Air-Vac names. I thought they might have been used by a single company making hats under different names. It could also be that it was just a sweatband that any maker could buy to use on their hats.

Please educate me/us and post photos of your Cushionaire, Cushioned for Comfort, Comfort Fit, and Air-Vac sweats. Thanks!

Volk Hats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MacLachlan:

[​IMG]

Jobber hat made for the store Charles Royce

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caxton

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    hatsRme, Tukwila, Frunobulax and 5 others like this.
  2. Steve1857

Steve1857 Call Me a Cab

Interesting topic, Brent. I too would love to hear more about these sweats.

I have something similar on a 1920s Moores & Sons' Bowler. One of the great group of Manchester based hat makers. No vents on this one though.

On mine, the sweat seems to expand due to the heat of my head, vacuuming it to fit tightly, if that makes sense. There's no way it will fall or easily be knocked off. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

hatsRme, Tukwila, BobHufford and 3 others like this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

I’ve wondered the same for some time.
    As an observation, in no way definitive, i have a branded Stack hat that does not have the Air Vac sweatband while other pics of Stacks did.
    I can only surmise it might be an upgrade at the time.
    Also, they all seem very similar across different brands. I wonder if there might be a stamp or logo on the insides??
    B

deadlyhandsome and Steve1857 like this.
  4. deadlyhandsome

Are you willing to risk an avalanche and add photos of the Stack? Love to see it for comparisons.

Tukwila, AbbaDatDeHat and Steve1857 like this.
  5. AbbaDatDeHat

Sure. Let me find it. It will be anti-climatic though.
    B

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

I believe those are hats manufactured by Mac Lachlan for other brands or specific hat stores to sell under their own label. I am pretty sure the cushion air and airvac in particular indicate they are Mac Lachlan made; we can know for sure by looking up the trademarks.

All of the hats I have seen with those unique padded air holes in the sweat have Mac Lachlan manufacturing tags behind the sweat.

7. deadlyhandsome

There are some old postings here that mention Dobbs and others with these sweatbands, but unfortunately the photos are dead.

I wonder if they were also available as replacement sweatbands? It also be a completely different sweatband using a similar name “Cushion-Aire.”

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  8. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

That’s interesting, I have not seen them on other hats.

As a rule I assume when I see one of those sweats that the hat is a Mac. Now we’ll have to keep our eyes peeled!

Tukwila and deadlyhandsome like this.
  9. deadlyhandsome

I haven’t “seen one” either. I wish the photos still worked.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Just Daniel likes this.
  10. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

I've found this ad in the Hat Life yearbook of 1946

034.jpg

Seem that MacLachlan provided the felt bodies and the hats were finished by Stack. Likely they did the other brands like Volk and Caxton too.

11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

CIMG7362.JPG CIMG7364.JPG CIMG7365.JPG CIMG7366.JPG

steur, hatsRme, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  12. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Here’s my circa 1943 Stack, with an earlier version. What’s difficult to show here is the (distinct when new) embossing in the felt on the underside of the brim in the front of these hats. I tried, but am hoping someone with a better example will post a good shot.

9A301B2B-A03A-42D0-A7BD-39AD60B1F489.jpeg C086CA7D-01D7-4BF1-B6E6-DF9828443002.jpeg A9AF961A-845B-4242-A0AB-8EB6A0C5F957.jpeg

13. deadlyhandsome

Interesting, Charlie. Did the vented pillows on the sweat come after the style on your Stack, or were both styles offered at the same time?

Steve1857 likes this.
  14. suitedcboy

suitedcboy One Too Many

I had a Caxton fedora with the cushion-aire sweatband. I don't have it now and I am unsure of the actual wording as I also think it might have been Comfort-Air. It did have a sweat in great condition and the perforated area was "bubbled" up from the embossing. I had one of the Borsalinos with the corrugated piece under the sweat at front and for the times I wore them I thought the embossed and perforated system worked better.

Bamaboots, steur and deadlyhandsome like this.
  15. AbbaDatDeHat

CF5923C8-0933-4271-8F5F-4B9CFBA445D4.jpeg B54BAC6C-B903-4E68-893E-E11114F58C05.jpeg 44976CDA-27F6-476E-BA9E-E110F225B874.jpeg B4FB6ED5-9800-40F6-A55D-8218F7CB6CC1.jpeg Greetings All:
    Here you go Brent et al.
    Requested anticlimactic pics of a nice Stack hat with a plain sweatband. Sorry so tardy, it was well hidden and i was well...forgetful.
    B
    Ps: now that i played with it...it is a very thinly felted, pillowy crowned hat. A nice ORish style.

16. deadlyhandsome

Thanks, B. Nice hat all around...and a 7 1/2...you haven’t been sending hats to Ignacio have you? ;)