Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom canvas jacket options

adam brown

New in Town
Hi all,
I have been a longtime lurker and appreciate the pride and enthusiasm everyone takes in leather jackets and clothes in general. I have owned a lot of leathers, never a custom one but haven’t found any that really check all the boxes. I am close to getting on the wait list for a Fields leather (there’s a modified Dakota I love)but am concerned I wouldn’t wear it enough to justify the price.
I would like a waxed canvas jacket in the style of a single rider jacket with a mouton/shearling collar and a wool liner.
Does anyone have suggestions on where to look ?
The Freenote RJ2 shearling lined denim jacket while different kinda fits what I want but at a $1000 I feel like I’m in custom territory pricing.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Goel

A-List Customer
I happen to be looking for a custom waxed jacket as well, although the opposite of what you want (a lighter weight rancher/trucker with snaps and an action back). The first one I thought of was Ciano Farmer, but his wait times have skyrocketed and you might be waiting years. So any of the custom leather jacket manufacturers should be able to use textiles, as they already do with fit jackets. I know Aero has done canvas jackets, so has Johnson Leather and I much prefer their patterns. JL has or had some 24oz waxed canvas they used for a project, they also have access to some nice New Zealand shearling. If you supply your own materials it comes out a bit cheaper too.

adam brown

New in Town
I happen to be looking for a custom waxed jacket as well, although the opposite of what you want (a lighter weight rancher/trucker with snaps and an action back). The first one I thought of was Ciano Farmer, but his wait times have skyrocketed and you might be waiting years. So any of the custom leather jacket manufacturers should be able to use textiles, as they already do with fit jackets. I know Aero has done canvas jackets, so has Johnson Leather and I much prefer their patterns. JL has or had some 24oz waxed canvas they used for a project, they also have access to some nice New Zealand shearling. If you supply your own materials it comes out a bit cheaper too.
Thanks for the info! I reached out to Ciano farmer a while ago and never heard back. I also noticed that their slim fit is not that slim. I am fairly tall and thin with about a 9" drop so the fit can be challenging for me. I'll check out Johnson leather, not sure if Aero is the right aesthetic for me. Johnson Leather looks good but there isn't much info on their website and social media isn't great either when trying to determine their overall fit and styles they do well. I would like to find someone that already does what I want well and just tweak it a little.
Good luck with your search, I think Freenote does waxed jackets with an action back but theirs button.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
You might want to check in on Johnson leathers. I remember one of their instagram posts was a heavy waxed jacket. I bet they let you add custom options.

Goel

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info! I reached out to Ciano farmer a while ago and never heard back. I also noticed that their slim fit is not that slim. I am fairly tall and thin with about a 9" drop so the fit can be challenging for me. I'll check out Johnson leather, not sure if Aero is the right aesthetic for me. Johnson Leather looks good but there isn't much info on their website and social media isn't great either when trying to determine their overall fit and styles they do well. I would like to find someone that already does what I want well and just tweak it a little.
Good luck with your search, I think Freenote does waxed jackets with an action back but theirs button.
Yeah I think JL would be a good bet. They have plenty of rider styles and they can either make a canvas test jacket or just send you a stock one and you can make whatever modifications from there. I'll probably end up going with them myself if they can work with lighter weight fabrics, but they've done everything from ultra thin lambskin to a 6 oz shearling lined bullhide jacket so I'm convinced they can make anything work.

adam brown

New in Town
Yeah I think JL would be a good bet. They have plenty of rider styles and they can either make a canvas test jacket or just send you a stock one and you can make whatever modifications from there. I'll probably end up going with them myself if they can work with lighter weight fabrics, but they've done everything from ultra thin lambskin to a 6 oz shearling lined bullhide jacket so I'm convinced they can make anything work.I am new to have something custom made.
Yeah I think JL would be a good bet. They have plenty of rider styles and they can either make a canvas test jacket or just send you a stock one and you can make whatever modifications from there. I'll probably end up going with them myself if they can work with lighter weight fabrics, but they've done everything from ultra thin lambskin to a 6 oz shearling lined bullhide jacket so I'm convinced they can make anything work.
I am new to having something custom made and am apprehensive about getting the fit right when doing it remote. But it sounds like they know what they are doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy