Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom-made vintage 'CHIPS' bike jacket

H.Johnson

One Too Many
For sale
-------------------------------------------
A custom-made bike jacket, modeled on a Langlitz (or was it a Tauber?)
Let me explain. Almost five decades ago I was a motorcycle-mad young buck working for a famous manufacturer of motorcycle clothing. Pretty much heaven - can you imagine being paid to attend the Isle of Man TT and meet Mike Hailwood?

Anyway, the marketing department used to obtain examples of clothing by other manufacturers as a part of its product development programme (read 'to copy'). One year, one of the sales force visited the USA and came back with some examples of American bike jackets. A revelation! Being familiar with Lewis/Aviakit, Ketts, etc., we had never seen anything like the Langlitz and Taubers etc. The US-influenced British jackets (e.g. Bud Ganz's Bronx design) didn't seem the same somehow.

The sample department was commissioned to make copies of a few of these jackets to assess production and marketing etc. The jacket I have for sale was one of those copies, which never went into production. I can't remember whether the jacket that was copied was the Langlitz or a Tauber. As if it matters. The jacket for sale is in very heavy British hide (probably bovine, although it shows many of the characteristics of horsehide) and has chunky 1970 brass YKK zips - six of them including pocket and sleeve zips - all working perfectly, as do the many US-style ring snaps. The lining is the top specification Silesia cotton and is unworn. There is a detachable throat latch, a leather-piped inside pocket, working epaulettes and it has an 'action back' - two semicircular 'bi-swing' pleats joining the shoulders and armpits. The kidney panel is properly reinforced and cross-trepanto-stitched, the belt loops are entire and the waist has the usual adjustable lacing. This is one tough jacket.

As you may guess, as a sample it was made to the most careful standards and has held up well. The lining is intact. The only fault (these things are relative) are some tiny pin-holes in the lapels - I went through a stage of wearing enamel badges, which unfortunately I didn't keep. It will come with an issue police belt with brass buckle (which I haven't yet found but will post photos when I do).

jackets001-1.jpg

jackets002-1.jpg

jackets003-1.jpg

jackets004-1.jpg

There are no labels other than an orange leather label with '38' written on it. That's a bit optimistic in today's sizing. I feel it would be a better fit on a slim 36" chest, 29"-30" waist and just under six feet tall. It fits me really well - just not my style anymore and I need the space. The actual external approximate measurements laid flat are as follows:
Armpit to armpit = 19 1/2" across flats
Waist (laces loose) = 34" all around
Tailor's arm (nape to cuff) = 33"
Outer arm (shoulder to cuff) = 23"
Back length (nape to end of kidney panel) = 24"
Front length (nape to hem) = 23"
Across top of shoulders (seam to seam) = 18"

I believe I am justified in asking 100 GBP for this vintage (I would date it to 1971) and charismatic (amazing style and patina) jacket. A real Langlitz Columbia or the same period or Tauber would certainly cost at least twice as much as this. Shipping will be extra at buyer's expense (it is heavy, of course).

Please PM with interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points