Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom made vintage repros...

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I was just wondering, how many of you have had custom made vintage repos made for yourself, whether through revamp, or any other maker like that. What was the experiance like? Did you feel like it was worth it? What era did you go for?

Snookie

Practically Family
NicolettaRose said:
I was just wondering, how many of you have had custom made vintage repos made for yourself, whether through revamp, or any other maker like that. What was the experiance like? Did you feel like it was worth it? What era did you go for?

My husband has had a hefty portion of his "vintage" wardrobe made by various tailors. It tends to be the same experience every time -- the more he has to show the tailor (whether pictures or actual items), the better they turn out. And it's always a learning process-- they never believe him that he wants the pants *that* wide. Until he makes them re-do it, and then they start to listen!

He's had stuff made by Jorge (La Bomba), and I've seen stuff that Annamarie (Revamp) has made. They do a fair job, but I think the prices are extreme for what you get. If you know what you want and can explain it decently, you should be able to go to any seamstress or tailor, as long as they're willing to listen to you. Most are so tired of doing alterations, they'll jump at the chance to make something interesting!

We buy real vintage for items that are in good condition and equal to or cheaper than having made (his gab shirts, jackets for both of us). We do repros for stuff that's rare to find in good condition - his pants, I make my dresses and skirts. We really love having new looking clothes. I hate stuff that looks like it's 65 years old.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Custom made repros

First, let me compliment the author on starting this thread. It's always good to hear about experiences and resources that are obscure.

I've had some custom work done for myself and my husband. I don't want to go into all the details, but the experiences ranged from absolutely fabulous to me firing the custom dressmaker for assuming I was an idiot since she padded the bill 200x of the actual work.

I've had work done from professional tailors to costumers, and the price and professionalism of the work varied. I've sat on costumer's beds while they hemmed my skirts, and had to have one pair of my husbands pants re-done four times in a professional shop on a platform with triple mirrors because they couldn't seem to get take the pants in correctly. I wish there was a pattern of purchase/result, but honestly, there wasn't.

I will say that I was the first person to fire the custom dressmaker, and over a decade later she still won't talk to me. [huh] She still can't believe that I figured out all the problems with my order myself because I don't sew and blames a mutual friend for "helping" me.

I would like to offer this word of advice: put everything down in writing. If you have a photo of the item, even better. But don't assume because you are hiring a professional that the result will be what you want. Keep an open mind to their suggestions, which are often good and can save you money. And be sure to watch for tell-tale signals of problems; your gut won't lead you astray.

Hope this helps.

Vintage Betty

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Betty and Snookie. I've had some very elaborate work done for me, but I did a lot of research to find these seamstresses too.

I don't sew, but I know the lingo and I know what I want and I know how it should be done. Also, be sure that you are on the same page with design, fabric, sizing, and lingo and cost.

I'm extremely picky and I'm pretty much "in it" the whole step of the way. I want to see pics of it in process, (since I'm in MO and she's in WA). I have her send me muslin mock ups if necissary. I hunt down and buy my own fabric and notions. I show as many pics, samples and my own sketches as possible. I get lots of fabric swatches from other companies.

I've had the flying gown from Titanic made, which many of you have surely seen. I wanted it as screen acurate as could be, and we also used some period patterns from the edwardian era instead of just the Simplicity costume pattern. I was delighted with the outcome and must say I think it looks better than even the J. Peterman repro.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/sets/72157600477992255/
Christine is my seamstress, http://ckhall.com/home.htm
She also made my blue mill jacket from Gone With the Wind,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/620856303/in/set-72157600477996491/
She also made 2 of my corsets.

I had a local woman make my wedding dress. She did a wonderful job but our schedules clash so much that it is actually easier for me to get my seamstress in WA. But she was great with my sketches and knowing what I wanted. She also had good advice to give.

I'm now having Christine make another repro for me, Scarlett's Christmas dinner dress from Gone With the Wind.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/sets/72157601904689562/

Be sure you ask for their portfolio and see if they prefer doing certain styles or eras.

Gowns such as the ones I've done take a lot.. interfacing, lining, boning. Knowing how to sew delicate fabrics and velvets. And knowing how to fit the customer is KEY.

If you are thinking of having 20s, 30's, or 40's styles done, you do need someone who knows what they are doing. Many different darts and bias cuts can be too difficult for someone who just makes bridesmaid dresses, ect. and doesn't have the experience.

Nikki

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
For Mens clothes I have had stuff made by Jorge from "La Bomba" in Long Beach for about 10 years. His specialty is Vintage Repro , and some of his First Pieces were made for me, when his Label name was called "Tin Tan".

Check out Big Sandy , Royal Crown Review , Big Bad Voodoo Daddy for some of his creations...

If your Looking for just a Costume, then he would probably be too much...and Revamp would probably be better, as their Lines are amazing for the Price.

I have both, and I'm happy with Both....

Bottom Line I Believe is, Ya get what ya pay for...

Good seeing you out Last weekend , Snookie!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I got the dress back from TopRunway and it's a pretty exact replica! It fits well and is really well made. The seams are all professionally serged and her communication was excellent. I highly recommend her and will definitely commission her again. I'll post pictures soon since I'm going out tonight to hear the Dan Zola big band.

Snookie

Practically Family
twobarbreak said:
Good seeing you out Last weekend , Snookie!

yeah, it's been too long! I didn't know you've been hanging out on the Lounge lately - I've only been checking the girlie forums and missed your posts. Nice pics of stuff Jorge made. I like the contrast piping on the seams.

Has anyone has custom shoes made? I got a tip about a guy in my area that makes custom salsa shoes, and I'm thinking about trying for some vintage repros. Other than bringing in pictures to show him, is there anything else I should do? Maybe bring a pair of shoes that fits well? Shoes seem like a whole other ballgame...

Miss 1929

I love my TLQs!

My friend Theresa LaQuey makes custom vintage-styled clothes, and also does retro (and doll) patterns for Simplicity.
Not cheap, but well worth it to get exactly what you want, that fits!
I had a great "suite" made in pebbled crepe satin - long slinky bare evening gown, matching jacket, matching cocktail length skirt (these three all in black), and a beige blouse in the same fabric, that can wear with the skirt or over the long gown to make a dinner gown.
Here's the gown and jacket, with sapphires and far too many association badges on my lapel:
l_744d297e7d1299d06ab6ae903cbab0ef.jpg

She also made me this nice day dress:
l_366ffdd5283df200e416591a03c1127e.jpg

And this swell white crepe gown and cape!
l_a95b27576d97f010e7a34c4c52bb9b41.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend her! Always on time, professional and fun!

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss 1929, those photos are enough to make anyone go repro!

What an incredible meeting of backdrop, evening sunset, model and clothes - they're all faultless!

lonestarcasie

New in Town
NoirDame said:
I got the dress back from TopRunway and it's a pretty exact replica! It fits well and is really well made. The seams are all professionally serged and her communication was excellent. I highly recommend her and will definitely commission her again. I'll post pictures soon since I'm going out tonight to hear the Dan Zola big band.

Pardon me if this is a question that is answered elsewhere, but where can I find Toprunway. Website?

Miss 1929

Thanks for all the compliments!

I owe it all to Theresa LaQuey... 510-635-6554!
She's in Oakland.
She also does the Retro Simplicity patterns, although I think hers are out of print? I will ask her. I didn't find them on the Simplicity site. there is a slinky 30s evening gown with fur and fabric wrap stole, and a really cute 40s swing dress with a sweetheart neckline. Search her name on Ebay, eventually they will come up.
I also sew, but nothing like that! She is a genius.

TessTrueheart

I just thought I'd bump this thread since I was just looking through the toprunway store and she has so much vintage inspired clothing at the moment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana