Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customized Akubra Stylemaster

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
I recently bought an Akubra Stylemaster and after seeing a few other Akubras at JJ Hat Center I realized the Stylemaster wasn't exactly what I wanted. I wanted something closer to a traditional "outback" style hat with the down turned front and back and stiffer brim. I'd even really like a smaller leather band and a raw edge. At JJ Hat Center I found the perfect hat but unfortunately they didn't have my size and weren't able to order it (I'm a 53-54).

They offered to work on my Stylemaster and make the brim closer to that of the Lightning Ridge by ironing/reflanging it. Since I had no other choice I accepted this and they told me it will take them about a week. One day later they called me to tell me it was finished! I went to the store to pick it up and it came out nicely but not perfect. I brought it home and steamed it a little more myself and then put a washcloth over the brim and ironed the sides to straighten them out to the best of my ability. I've achieved a brim style very close to what I want. The sides are straight and flat and the front and back of the brim is turned down. I'm pretty happy with the hat for now but I'm considering buying a Coober Pedy from EverythingAustralian as a less formal hat that will be worn throughout the summer.

Here are some pictures:

Before:

After:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner