Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customs fee

new2hats

A-List Customer
I am tempted to purchase a hat from outside this country. Even with 'free shipping', I know that there is a certain customs or duty fee.

Can anyone throw me a clue as to how much these fees are, and if it is worth the effort? Is it a % based on value of the hat, or a flat fee? Will they ship it to my home, or will I have to travel to a certain special place where they hold them? Anyone have experience with this? Examples of prices and customs fees would be wonderful! :confused:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I find it best to have things sent by mail. They come to my local post office where I can pick them up in person. Usually there is no inspection or tax. The sender must paste a green sticker on the package and write on it the contents and its value. The post office supplies the stickers. They have the right to open the package for customs inspection but usually don't bother. Any time they did this, they waited till I arrived and had me open the package while a post office clerk watched, then inspected the contents of the package. There is no charge for this inspection.

If there is a tax it will be based on the value of the goods.

Things sent UPS or courier are stopped at the border for customs inspection. You have to pay a custom broker fee, about $30 minimum, and it delays the package for a week. Whatever the goods cost, figure on paying just as much for shipping, customs broker, and fees.

It is better, cheaper and faster to have things sent by mail.

This applies to things sent to Canada from the US. You may want to check with your local post office, and UPS office to see if the same applies to you.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I doubt there is import duty on hats or clothing. If there is it should be minimal. You can check with the post office or maybe they have a web site.

tealseal

A-List Customer
My Fed IV from Hats Direct had a minimal customs fee; at that time, I was living in Canada, for what it's worth. Well worth the money anyway (in the range of $14, IIRC).

new2hats

A-List Customer
I've yet to have to pay a single duty on items from Canada, England, Bulgaria, Spain, Australia, Scotland & others I cannot recall. FWIW.

I am thinking Italy, Ecuador, England. Have you bought something recently? Don't know if things change all the time!

new2hats

A-List Customer
I find it best to have things sent by mail. They come to my local post office where I can pick them up in person. Usually there is no inspection or tax. The sender must paste a green sticker on the package and write on it the contents and its value. The post office supplies the stickers. They have the right to open the package for customs inspection but usually don't bother. Any time they did this, they waited till I arrived and had me open the package while a post office clerk watched, then inspected the contents of the package. There is no charge for this inspection.

If there is a tax it will be based on the value of the goods.

Things sent UPS or courier are stopped at the border for customs inspection. You have to pay a custom broker fee, about $30 minimum, and it delays the package for a week. Whatever the goods cost, figure on paying just as much for shipping, customs broker, and fees.

It is better, cheaper and faster to have things sent by mail.

This applies to things sent to Canada from the US. You may want to check with your local post office, and UPS office to see if the same applies to you.

Thanks for the reply- very helpful!

I have many hats shipped via Deutsche Post and haven't had any custom fees. US Customs will inspect on occasion so that can delay the delivery.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
You lucky guys! Here in Germany not a single parcel slips through. I suppose our government needs every Euro-Cent for playing their financial games... :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points