Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CXL Horsehide VS. Vicenza

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here. I have been working on an order with Aero for the first time in years, and sorting out my options. My plan was to use Chromexcel Horsehide, but I recently got to try out a jacket in Vicenza Horsehide and I was really impressed. I love the beefiness and appearance of CXL, but it can be harder to move in when new - kind of like a suit of armor. The Vicenza seems almost too good to be true - it's much softer, almost like lamb. I would describe it as "easier to live with" right out of the box. However, it's also $100 more, and perhaps it's not as durable given how soft it is?

I am hoping there are some people here who have lived with both in the long term who can give me their opinions. How does the Vicenza hold up durability wise, and does it change appreciably over time? How long does it take for CXL to become more broken in and easier to move in? I had a CXL HH jacket in the past, but it was too big, and I never really felt like it was broken in. I'm not opposed to a beefy jacket, I was just pleasantly surprised how comfortable the Vicenza was after years of heavy Aeros, Vansons, etc.

Anyhow, here's a fit pic of the Board Racer - it's a little big around the chest / midsection, I'm still debating whether I like it or not.

Please forgive the hand prints on the mirror - my children are savages.

Aero Seal Vicenza Board Racer 46 - Fit Pic by jimmacnair, on Flickr

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have yet to handle a Vicenza jacket, but I think CXL *can* be stiff at first, but isn't necessarily. The heavy weight stuff they use does take some time to break, but the midweight is plenty comfortable and flexible out of the box, although I wouldn't say it is as soft as lambskin.

The other downside to CXL that I don't hear talked about as much is that the surface topcoat wears pretty quickly, and is especially prone to scratches. Which can be just what some people want if they are looking for a jacket that will look old and beaten in after a few short years. But it's something to consider.

There's also CXL Steer, which breaks in very quickly, and is softer and less stiff compared to the FQHH CXL, but is every bit as lovely and durable.

And don't forget about goat.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
for me it depends on the jacket style. Some just don't work as well stylistically in the CXL, and some like the motorcycle crosszip styles don't work in the Vicenza in terms of practicality

Psant25

One Too Many
i have had cxl horse, cxl steer, and vicenza. i would go with cxl steer again. really well worn i am not a huge fan of vicenza as others have said too. the cxl steer was substantial when new, broke in faster than horse, and i really liked the feel and grain better than horse. just my opinion. i have had vansons in comp and z150. i have had johnson leather in naked brown, naked black, heavy PD leather black. my favorite of all is the johnson leather 3.5 oz dark naked brown. soft and supple right out the gate. have another on the way.

AlexB

One of the Regulars
I am not experienced with both but I own a CXL FQHH Board Racer since beginning of September. Before that I only had goat and lamb skin jackets.

When new the jacket was really stiff and stood up by itself. Since then I try to wear the jacket as much as possible which is due to my job limited to weekends. Additionally I used to wear or sit on the jacket while watching a movie or so. I also slept in the jacket twice. So far I only had the chance to wear it in the rain once.

Now, after two month the jacket feels completely different: it’s way softer and grain comes through more and more. Greasing is also already visible.

I had to make the same decision when I bought the BR and Burkhard from Gasoline Alley recommended to use the Vincenca for a slimmer fittted BR when only uses to thin leathers. However, I was sold to FQHH when he showed me worn in jackets from both leather. Vincenca looked pretty much the same as in the beginning but the CXL was like a painting looking different from every angle.

All in all I am more than happy with my decision and love how comfortable the jacket feels (no, it does not feel like my goat jackets)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'm a fan of CXL Steer, and CXL FQHH, but I have not handled Vincenca, I prefer heavier to lighter, so have not tried it yet.

ksozay

One Too Many
I have Aero jackets in Steer/Horse/Vic. I also have Vanson in Comp/Z150 hides.
  • If your priority is wear-ability first, durability second - Vic/Steer/Horse.
  • If your priority is durability first, wear-ability second - Horse/Steer/Vic.
  • If your priority is paying the discomfort tax up front to enjoy max comfort later - Comp/Horse/Steer. Sorted in order by length of discomfort time before achieving comfort time.
I like Vic hide, I don't love it. Like wearing the top half of a normal horse hide that "feels" more like a fashion jacket than a jacket of substance (i.e. I'd expect to pay more for the heavier leather, not less).

I love the FQHH and CXL Steer from Aero. I love everything about these hides for different reasons. From the smell, texture, fit and finish, how the leather molds to my body over time, etc. Each jacket is a living history of the experiences I've had in it.

Vanson comp hide is like wearing a brand new baseball glove. I feel like a shoe tree when wearing that jacket. After two years of wearing that jacket, a little more break-in happens each time. I have earned every crease, every give in that jacket. I wear that thing like a badge of honor. If you want an out of the box comfort jacket, it's not a Vanson comp weight leather jacket.

I like wearing vic hide jackets. Super easy to wear, easy to wear in multitude of seasons, looks nice. I love wearing my other jackets.

Just my experience. Your results may vary.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vicenza for the win!

Vicenza HH is wonderfully robust and durable, yet pliable and comfortable from day 1. If you are seeking maximum protection while riding a motorcycle, there are even stronger leathers available. On the other hand, if you are merely wearing your jacket about town, as opposed to participating in medieval jousting, Vicenza HH will likely last your lifetime.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've jackets in all three hides from Aero. As stated above I find my Vic jackets comfortable and they break in really well. I don't ride so I'm not worried about hitting the pavement in one. I like CXL steer A LOT! I've a used Highwayman in it that just reeks strength and comfort. It's developed so much character I have to remind myself to wear other black jackets and coats. Horse... hmmm I've many horsehide jackets and except for my Thunder Bay I can't say I really "love" any of them. Even the one's that are comfortable just don't seem to have "it" I don't know if it's the style of the leather... but I wear my horsehides less than anything else. Just my experience.

Worf

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Hides like Vicenza do not lack for durability. It is not a lightweight hide, it just isn't as heavy as CXL. I massively prefer Vicenza to CXL. I think the color depth, grain, and aging are all superior. If you aren't riding, it should last more than your own lifetime.

willyto

One Too Many
Hides like Vicenza do not lack for durability. It is not a lightweight hide, it just isn't as heavy as CXL. I massively prefer Vicenza to CXL. I think the color depth, grain, and aging are all superior. If you aren't riding, it should last more than your own lifetime.
I don't think we'll ever get rid of the heavier and thicker equals better in this forum.

Half the people who go for that don't ride a motorcycle and even then the leathers used for riding in motorcycle competitions aren't even close in thickness or weight to what people believe is needed for riding.

For the most part they're made of cowhide or Kangaroo and quoting Alpinestars makers for the Moto GP suits:

Jeremy Appleton: We choose the best quality leather hide. In most cases we use cowhide, but we do use kangaroo as well. Bovine is used mostly though because it is very wear resistant, and it's usually between 1.2 and 1.4 millimetres thick.
The leather itself is of a very good quality so the filaments in the leather retain a lot of strength, and therefore provide a good deal of abrasion protection.

About the weight:

Overall the average suit weighs about 4.5kg. It depends on slightly different specifications we build into the suit.

Source of the interview: HERE

People like heavy leathers and thick leathers, I don't have a problem with that although it's not my preference. What I don't like is reading all the time about how other leathers are not as great because they won't protect you, blablabla because only the heaviest of the heaviest will because that's basically not true.

I've seen even a Himel jacket online that had been on a motorcycle accident and the shinki leather held up pretty well for a "fashion" leather as some call it.

liiPktQ.jpg

rFGF3p2.jpg

Even vintage leather jackets and trousers used for motorcycles and racing are lighter and thinner.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I don't think we'll ever get rid of the heavier and thicker equals better in this forum.
rFGF3p2.jpg

Even vintage leather jackets and trousers used for motorcycles and racing are lighter and thinner.

I mean, the leather wore all the way through the elbow there. Not thick enough!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You'll have more fun with CXL. The Vicenza is not far behind. I'm 65% CXL 35% Vic. The colored Vicenzas I've owned (Navy and olive) lack definitive color nuances you see in natural-colored leathers. Much more of a painted on appearance (which too, isn't bad if you're going for a bold color). I liked the seal, but is more plain of a leather visually than the interesting, varied CXL with it's pull up effect. Not to say that you won't find leather nuances on the Vic. It can get rather groovy under certain lighting conditions. This is all so subjective...

That said, Vicenza wears nice enough to feel like goat. It has a very soft hand and drapes better than thinner horsehides I've worn. Most comfortable un-horselike feel when worn I've ever tried. If you are really into the visual characteristics of leather and aging (and don't mind weight or the pull-up, waxy texture), go CXL. If you feel that feel of a jacket when worn is more important, but still appreciate leather feel, go Vicenza.

Steer CXL, of course. Lol. Your first day with a CXL jacket is your worst day. They genuinely look horrendous out of the box. You need a couple of days for the jacket to take form.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So you're saying with absolute certainty that CXL would not have worn through or that there is no situation where a CXL jacket would wear all the way through? If you're that much of an expert, please inform us.
Of course I'm not saying that.

Everything has limits. No protective gear can protect you from every accident. Leather-only cannot provide the same level of protection as full leathers with armor. And there is bulk and comfort to factor in.

But to say "I don't see why you like thick, medium is enough" and then showing an image of a worn-through elbow as evidence that you are right is silly. Unless that jacket is made from heavyweight and STILL wore through, maybe?

Peacoat

Bartender
I mean, the leather wore all the way through the elbow there. Not thick enough!
Yep, needs to be thicker and heavier. That's why I like thicker and heavier on the motor, and thinner and lighter on the street. Just easier and more comfortable to wear that way when thicker and heavier isn't needed..

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Yep, needs to be thicker and heavier. That's why I like thicker and heavier on the motor, and thinner and lighter on the street. Just easier and more comfortable to wear that way when thicker and heavier isn't needed..

But anyway the real reason I love the heavy leather isn't as much to do with its protective quality, it's how it feels when you wear it. if you read about anxiety disorders, some people feel calmed by wearing heavy blankets.... I just like mine to be made from a horse or cow and have sleeves and a zipper. It might not be "comfortable" for someone who likes a mid or light weight leather, but it is a comfort of a different sort.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
But anyway the real reason I love the heavy leather isn't as much to do with its protective quality, it's how it feels when you wear it. if you read about anxiety disorders, some people feel calmed by wearing heavy blankets.... I just like mine to be made from a horse or cow and have sleeves and a zipper. It might not be "comfortable" for someone who likes a mid or light weight leather, but it is a comfort of a different sort.

Now this all makes sense! *pops pill*

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Well that makes perfect sense. It's a preference thing. I don't dislike heavier leathers, I just don't like CXL personally.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I am not experienced with both but I own a CXL FQHH Board Racer since beginning of September. Before that I only had goat and lamb skin jackets.

Now, after two month the jacket feels completely different: it’s way softer and grain comes through more and more. Greasing is also already visible.

Good to know that CXL is worth the effort.

I had to make the same decision when I bought the BR and Burkhard from Gasoline Alley recommended to use the Vincenca for a slimmer fittted BR when only uses to thin leathers. However, I was sold to FQHH when he showed me worn in jackets from both leather. Vincenca looked pretty much the same as in the beginning but the CXL was like a painting looking different from every angle.

This was a big part of my curiosity - how does Vicenza look after you've had it a while. It sounds like it stays about the same appearance wise, while CXL will change more with use.

I have Aero jackets in Steer/Horse/Vic. I also have Vanson in Comp/Z150 hides.
  • If your priority is wear-ability first, durability second - Vic/Steer/Horse.
  • If your priority is durability first, wear-ability second - Horse/Steer/Vic.
  • If your priority is paying the discomfort tax up front to enjoy max comfort later - Comp/Horse/Steer. Sorted in order by length of discomfort time before achieving comfort time.
I like Vic hide, I don't love it. Like wearing the top half of a normal horse hide that "feels" more like a fashion jacket than a jacket of substance (i.e. I'd expect to pay more for the heavier leather, not less).

I love the FQHH and CXL Steer from Aero. I love everything about these hides for different reasons. From the smell, texture, fit and finish, how the leather molds to my body over time, etc. Each jacket is a living history of the experiences I've had in it.

I like wearing vic hide jackets. Super easy to wear, easy to wear in multitude of seasons, looks nice. I love wearing my other jackets.

Great post - thank you. Would you go with Steer or Horse CXL?

You'll have more fun with CXL. The Vicenza is not far behind. I'm 65% CXL 35% Vic. The colored Vicenzas I've owned (Navy and olive) lack definitive color nuances you see in natural-colored leathers. Much more of a painted on appearance (which too, isn't bad if you're going for a bold color). I liked the seal, but is more plain of a leather visually than the interesting, varied CXL with it's pull up effect. Not to say that you won't find leather nuances on the Vic. It can get rather groovy under certain lighting conditions. This is all so subjective...

That said, Vicenza wears nice enough to feel like goat. It has a very soft hand and drapes better than thinner horsehides I've worn. Most comfortable un-horselike feel when worn I've ever tried. If you are really into the visual characteristics of leather and aging (and don't mind weight or the pull-up, waxy texture), go CXL. If you feel that feel of a jacket when worn is more important, but still appreciate leather feel, go Vicenza.

Steer CXL, of course. Lol. Your first day with a CXL jacket is your worst day. They genuinely look horrendous out of the box. You need a couple of days for the jacket to take form.

Are you recommending Steer CXL over Horse? My only concern with horse CXL is that I see a fair number of these jackets that don't look like they have aged gracefully - the leather looks more sharply creased, almost crumpled up for lack of a better word. Perhaps that's just poor treatment? I am surprised how many people are recommending the steer.

Well that makes perfect sense. It's a preference thing. I don't dislike heavier leathers, I just don't like CXL personally.

Yeah, I can see this. Now that I've experienced both CXL and Vicenza, they're pretty much night and day different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto