Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cycling outfits

Apple Ida

New in Town
Hi ladies,

Although I have been reading this forum on and off for the past few years, I am only now making my very first post. Feel free to merge with another thread if I'm doubling up, but I haven't found anything on this topic in my searches as yet.

I am looking for some advice and inspiration on vintage outfits to wear to cycle to work. I was riding quite regularly through the autumn and winter, and could comfortably ride the 18km round trip in girdle and wool stockings, but now that the Australian summer is coming on I'm at a bit of a loss for what to wear. In fact I'm sure that my outfit woes are the reason I haven't ridden in several months (and not just that I'm feeling lazy!).

In particular I need a few outfits that are cool and comfortable enough to ride in without hems getting caught in chains ad spokes, but also stylish enough to wear all day at work if the ride is not too hot and sweaty and I don't feel like getting changed. I just don't feel myself if I'm not properly dressed up in my vintage attire. I've made myself one pair of culottes that I have been pairing with a linen shirt and cropped tweed jacket, but that's about as far as my sports wardrobe extends. I plan to make a few more lightweight pairs for summer, but I don't want to go around in just culottes and the same blouse and jacket five days a week. A girl needs a little bit of variety! Any suggestions, pictures or tips you have would be very helpful to get me back on my bike again.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dear Ida,

Please find the 'thread link' (below) to an ongoing piece in THE GREAT OUTDOORS section of TFL, on vintage bicycles and cycling that you might be interested in.

There are a few ladies who are into vintage cycling & also members of TFL. So GOOD LUCK in your search for information on appropriate 'attire' whilst riding your bicycle 'Down Under!' :)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?12519-On-yer-bike!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hello and welcome!!

How about a pair of sturdy, wool, or tweed trousers with a tapered leg. I have a few forties and fifties pairs which i do wear on the odd occasion i get my backside onto a bicycle. They do away with the need for cycle clips, although i do love a cycle clip it has to be said, plus you can wear them as part of your everyday ensemble. Other than that i would say a pair of wool or tweed plus fours would be great. I have just bought a vintage pair of men's ones, which luckily fit me. They look great with a shirt or jersey and a tweed jacket, plus you could really go to town with a shirt and tie and/or a cravat, chunky socks and a pair of sturdy brogues and you would look the bees' knees. There is a whole thread for 'girls in guys garb'. I think it is an ultra feminine look.

The culottes sound lovely btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany