Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-day 1944 - 2012

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
68 years ago - a few hours from now...

d-day2.jpg

Thank you!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Such an amazing day in history, full of hope, bloodshed, terror, horror, courage and strength.

May we never forget.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
I know as long as I'm alive, I'll always remember what happened on June 6, 1944 and how important it was in history. So many don't care or care to know how special today is...

-Kristi

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
As always on this date every year I listen to CBS News Coverage of D-Day, and reflect.... on a generation we, in the words of General Eisenhower "...may never see their like again". This is my grandparents generation... a generation who grew up facing the hardships and challenges of the Depression, and then when things seemed to be getting better marched off to War. It was this adversity that made them strong, it made them truly the Greatest Generation. To all those who fought on D-Day, my Grandpa included (D-Day +3), Thank you!!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
After supper, we were having our coffee, my wife said to me:
It makes you sad to think about, the amount of families who lost a son, a husband or a father on this very day - 68 years ago.
Let us never forget them. No matter where they lived. On both sides.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Such an amazing day in history, full of hope, bloodshed, terror, horror, courage and strength.

May we never forget.
Indeed, may we never forget. There are 9,387 soldiers buried in the Normandy cemetery. I don't know if they are all from the Allies, or both sides, but the cost was huge.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am afraid that the 9,387 buried, you mention, are "only" the americans at the US cemetery behind Omaha Beach.
Then you have lots of British and Canadian cemeteries. And a couple of very huge german ones too.
D-day2004437.jpg

The German casualties were so immense and heavy, that some unknown were buried five together in one grave.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112