Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance in 40's USAAF Hanger in Norfolk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Trying to get to a dance (Glenn Millar band et al) that a friend is arranging at the old Hardwick USAAF base in Norfolk (UK).

David bought the base in about 1947 when he was discharged from the RAF (He was an airborne forward artillery observor on June 6, Normandie, and has managed to locate and rejuvinate his original spotter aircraft!).

The base must be one of the best preserved wartime American airfields in Britain, (and best kept secrets, took me a long time of travelling down country lanes to find it) and even has the officer's squash courts still! as well as all the rest, such as canteen, mess, bar..etc

David and his pal Maurice, fly an original P-51 Mustang out of the grass air strip to shows around the country, and you can just feel the ghosts of airmen and B-24s in this time trapped place, as you walk in the company of heroes.

Anyway, every year David uses an old hanger for a 40's wartime summer dance, with a full live band in AAF pinks and greens. The Mustang does a fly past through the Norfolk mist as the sun dips to the strains of the last post, creating a truely memorable evening.

Sorry guys, have to dash as this doll is hounding me on the phone for a date to the dance! Out with those pinks and greens again I guess!

So...I'm wondering, who would you take to the dance given half the chance....?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two timing broad!

That two timing broad didn't tell me she was already hooked up! How's a guy to know that?

Jeez, I'm so sorry about that! lol...!!! and me being an officer and gentleman...etc :)

She is a honey though, isn't she?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21