Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Ties: A Volatile Trend or Real Fashion?

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Good evening,

When Nicolas Sarkozy became Head of State in France ten years ago, he was the probably first to be noticed starting a trend called: the darker the tie, the better. He brought black (or almost black) ties to fashion.

Well, perhaps just a volatile trend, I guessed. I was wrong.

His successor, Hollande, was also wearing mostly dark ties, of blue colour to be exact. And so -- and even more -- did and does Mr. Macron.

Another popular find on this topic is the relatively newly appointed Head of State of Austria, Alexander Van der Bellen. He and a not-black tie is a rare see. Actually, I have never seen him with a red tie, or just another, lighter colour, such as medium blue.

(An anecdote: When the Prince of Wales visited Austria, the agenda said, "black tie." His Royal Highness arrived in a perfect tuxedo -- and the Austrian President wore one of his standard black neckties with a regular lounge suit.)

Mr. Shinzo Abe of Japan is also a fan of muted colours, yet not as black as those of Mr. Van der Bellen or Mr. Macron.

So now, what's the purpose of black ties?

Black ties have pros and cons, regarding the so-called "color psychology." At first, they reflect the tenderness and calmness of a blue tie, but also contain a lot of power that otherwise just a red tie would offer, without representing the feeling of "bashing the head against the wall", which is the meaning of a bright red tie just like those of Mr. Trump.

I'm 27 years old, and I started collecting and wearing ties at the age of 15. In this time, I have learnt the following -- mostly by own experience:

You can't really do anything wrong with a blue tie. Mostly. It stands for competency, wisdom, and calmness.
However, if your daily task is to do something creative, you might want to try out a red tie (but at first, be sure to put on a dark red one, such as Bordeaux or Burgundy). This will show your opponent that you are accustomed to deliver creative work, work diligently, and produce own ideas.
To put this to a maximum, try out orange.
Pink or magenta also work for this occasion. That's why the EU-sceptical Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán often wears these colors: He wants to show activity, commitment to progress, yet independence from the EU forces.

If I need to reflect my about 70 ties, and which colour how often to wear, the math is easy:

50% Blue -- 30% Red -- 5% Green -- 5% Yellow -- 10% other colours (such as Violet, Rosé, Grey, Orange, Brown).

And black ties? Well, they seem to offer a mix of blue and red. If you choose a too "screaming" shade of red, people might ask you to turn your tie silent. Black also offers this power, however carries the blue colour's calmness within, without being as "loud" as a red tie.

So what's my problem with black ties? Well, I can tell you.

They are hideous.

Firstly, because wearers of black ties just seem to want to get themselves out of the affair. "Colourology" can only be applied to black ties in a limited manner. They don't really tell you much about the wearer, besides he is reflecting strongness and callousness.

Secondly, because they are so_bo_ring. What a wonderful world would it be if anyone dared to freely express their feelings by their ties!

Take a look at the Party Convention in China, currently taking place in Beijing. Those thousands of representatives mostly wear red ties, however, all in a very mute shade, and certainly not as "screaming" as Mr. Trump's bright red ties.

Now my question to the community:

What is your point of view on the modern trend of black ties?

You have put way more thought into this than I have. For me, I choose a tie that I think goes well with my entire outfit. No psychology involved.

I enjoy a wide palette of colors and can embrace them all when the circumstances are right. That said, I've only worn a long black tie to funerals and even then I think that other muted dark colors are a better choice.

Black long ties just look too stark to me. For formal or semi formal dress that specifies black tie I'm a stickler for wearing a black bow tie with the proper dinner jacket, formal shirt, etc. I'm all for making styles your own and bending rules but when it comes to formal and semi formal attire I follow all the rules with as much exactness as possible. This is not the time to put a modern spin on your garb. Certainly lapel widths and collar styles have changed a bit over time, but I think the ideal formal outfit would fit in in 1930 or 2030. The way you make formal attire your own is to do it perfectly, not to disrespect the rules. Nevertheless, I don't shun those who go "modern formal" or "Academy Award formal." I just don't like the look myself.

Back to the tie question: I don't know what the trend is. I like style, but don't care much for trends. The "it" colors or cuts or accessories just leave me bored. If you feel otherwise that's great. As for the psychology of colors, that sounds like some soft science. I don't doubt that there is some basis to it, but most people I know, even when dressing to impress, don't think about their selections in this way and based on their choices there isn't much going on unconsciously either.

Zachary

One of the Regulars
I don't doubt that there is some basis to it, but most people I know, even when dressing to impress, don't think about their selections in this way and based on their choices there isn't much going on unconsciously either.

Yes they do! Especially politicians don‘t leave ties to chance. One example: Mr. Van der Bellen. Originally, he was member of the Green Party. However, he ran for President as an independent, and was never again seen with a green tie.

The POTUSes consider very thoroughly which tie to wear for what occasion, however I believe Obama did that job much better than Trump.

Yes they do! Especially politicians don‘t leave ties to chance. One example: Mr. Van der Bellen. Originally, he was member of the Green Party. However, he ran for President as an independent, and was never again seen with a green tie.

The POTUSes consider very thoroughly which tie to wear for what occasion, however I believe Obama did that job much better than Trump.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm sure that presidents and prime ministers and a few others who are managed by teams and look for any advantage consider such things. Some would make animal sacrifices or waft sage smoke over their suits if there was even a hint of a possibility that it could make a difference. Having worked closely with my employer's executive management team, I can tell you definitely that they are not that aware of their tie selection. I've also seen other CEOs, etc. who don't put that kind of effort into the nuances. I can tell you that California Governor Brown, a life long politician, is not a sharp dresser.

There's nothing wrong with taking things to his degree, but most, even the very successful, do not. I also don't want to look as though a computer algorithm chose my attire. Just a personal observation. Perhaps this is why I'm stuck in middle management purgatory?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was a little surprised to see this thread, as my black knitted ties (along with several other colors) are staples of my wardrobe and probably get more wear than any of my other ties. I teach for a living and often wear dark jeans and either a patterned shirt or vest, so I find them extremely useful. I think I must have fifty or sixty ties, and very few of them are aggressively colored. As for politicians, I can honestly say that in all my years on this planet I've never looked to them as fashion icons in any way at all; well, maybe Boris Yeltsin.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
Ever seen any of the Transporter movies. Jason Stathum wears only black suits, white shirts, with a thinner black tie. And if anything happens to his uniform, he has several spare outfits wrapped in plastic in the trunk of his Audi. He’s basically ready for any occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
Ever seen any of the Transporter movies. Jason Stathum wears only black suits, white shirts, with a thinner black tie. And if anything happens to his uniform, he has several spare outfits wrapped in plastic in the trunk of his Audi. He’s basically ready for any occasion, and a hit with the ladies.

I was a little surprised to see this thread, as my black knitted ties (along with several other colors) are staples of my wardrobe and probably get more wear than any of my other ties. I teach for a living and often wear dark jeans and either a patterned shirt or vest, so I find them extremely useful. I think I must have fifty or sixty ties, and very few of them are aggressively colored. As for politicians, I can honestly say that in all my years on this planet I've never looked to them as fashion icons in any way at all; well, maybe Boris Yeltsin.

I think the original post was more just on muted colors with a side comment on black tie.

In the big picture, this is all just style and there really aren't any wrongs or rights. I don't feel a compulsion to wear a gold watch to match gold cufflinks even though the "rule" is to match all metals. I also see styles that others pull off wonderfully that I just can't do. When we conform to style conventions we are on safe ground, but that's not the only way it can be done and it can be fun to break the rules. As for black long ties ties, I think they can look smashing in the right combination even if I chose not to wear them.

I'll stick by my comments on no long ties for "black tie" events and that the bow tie needs to be black. I won't enter the discussion on how Hollywood action stars dress except to say that no one is ever likely to confuse me for one of them (I'm too tall :).)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wear ties that I like. My color (and pattern) selection seems to mimic colors that I like.

I don't call things I don't like volatile, hideous or boring, and I don't stir the political pot. There are others who don't feel the way I do about everything (imagine that!). If I don't care for something, it's not hideous. It's just that I don't care for it.

Clothes can be worn, in part, to make a statement. That much can be true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk