Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating and identifying a Vintage Stetson Cowboy hat

boxofmatches

New in Town
Dear Sirs,

Today I bought a vintage Stetson hat in Poland. If you are able to, could you help me with identification of this hat, please? Name of the model, the year of the production, the colour and so on. Every information means a lot to me.
I found "The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union" stamp inside so I suppose that the year of the production is between 1976 and 1995.

Photos of the hat:

qKBplzH.jpg

IbzTWkS.jpg

Evkyomp.jpg

ajHdcpn.jpg

xjtqOAi.jpg

je7JDTU.jpg

5vaCNAi.jpg

2NMYMP0.jpg

hsbs93d.jpg

xVt5FEa.jpg

Hope this helps!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Unless there is a tag behind the sweatband, model name is near impossible to be known.
The color (based on the pictures) can be "gun metal", "granite"... It the tag is still there intact it will have the color name.
The year... based on the liner and size tag, it can be from the 70's to "modern days" since Stetson still uses the same liner and the size tag.
The tag behind the sweatband is this one. It can be different since Stetson changed it in the 90's or 2000's.
tommix06.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge ! From the Hat Band it looks like a Carson , but I think they may have used that type on another Model or two . Boy if you wear a 56/7 the Hat World is your Oyster if you were over here . Pinheads get all the great Hats as Joao says . :cool: But for a guy in Portugal he does better than most here , must have a Hat Homing Locator device . That Hat could be Caribou , too , I guess , its a gray color . But it may just come on the OR and Dress Hats , still just a gray , but nice .

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
The Union label on your hat indicates it was made between 1983-1995. Not really vintage. Hope you didn't pay too much for it. Most people tend to think that any hat with the word "Stetson" in it has value.

Of note, any Stetson hat made at the original Stetson factory in Philly would not have had any union label inside, pre-1985 or otherwise. The Philly factory never used them. Only hats made after the Hatco buy-out, and once the hats started being made in Texas at the former Resistol plant, would have a Union tag inside them.

View attachment 127708 View attachment 127710 View attachment 127708 View attachment 127709 View attachment 127710 View attachment 127711 View attachment 127711 View attachment 127712 View attachment 127714 what do you think of these? They don't have a union label but do the x marking. 3rd and fourth photographs are of the brown, 5 is used for bpth, and 6 of the white.

I like the long hair finishes. Those hats are fairly modern, but their straight-sided crowns make them good candidates for conversion to fedoras. Are the crowns reasonably soft and the brims stiff? Do the size tags have metric and US sizing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musher

One of the Regulars
They are new old stock hats for sale on eBay for $125 plus shipping. They have 2 of the white and 3 of the brown left. Largest size available is 7.5. Search for Vintage NOS Stetson Cowboy Hat Beaver on eBay if you want to take a look. I thought about buying the white one but decided to pass.

They are new old stock hats for sale on eBay for $125 plus shipping. They have 2 of the white and 3 of the brown left. Largest size available is 7.5. Search for Vintage NOS Stetson Cowboy Hat Beaver on eBay if you want to take a look. I thought about buying the white one but decided to pass.

Too small for me, and for that style of hat and what I do with them I buy them cheap.

Asudef

New in Town
Does the cowboy, horse liner indicate a western weight or western hat?

When did Stetson change to the logo of a cowboy on a bucking horse? I can't seem to find pictures of that to compare.

I have my eye on a hat with a narrow ribbon, cattleman crease and bound edge. The logo is gold printed on the liner but it's too small to see any more details but doesn't appear to say John B. Stetson anywhere but can see that it's a cowboy on a horse.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Does the cowboy, horse liner indicate a western weight or western hat?

When did Stetson change to the logo of a cowboy on a bucking horse? I can't seem to find pictures of that to compare.

I have my eye on a hat with a narrow ribbon, cattleman crease and bound edge. The logo is gold printed on the liner but it's too small to see any more details but doesn't appear to say John B. Stetson anywhere but can see that it's a cowboy on a horse.
I believe it was Resistol that had the Bronc Rider riding a Bucking Horse . I would say most western hats are western weight felt , but there are exceptions . I would say the last drop liner would be western weight . Stetson Open Road are a cross over Hat and dress weight and doesn't have the last drop liner .

I think @Michael R. is right about the Resistol western and the bucking horse. I have a Nutria Quqlity Stetson from the 40's with an embroidered liner of a horse and rider and a 3X OR with an embroidered last drop liner. These are the only liners I'm aware of with horse images.

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
@Asudef try going to the Forums and go to Classifies , thats one place to list it , and maybe on the Resistol Roundup , or WHAYWT Thread just to let folks know its For Sale . Looks like a Resistol San Antonio which is similar to a Stetson OR except with a 2 5/8" Brim as opposed to the OR's 2 3/4" Brim .

Thanks @Michael R.! I went and looked at it today and it is indeed a Resistol with a cowboy on a horse. Not sure the best place to advertise this but it's too small for me at size 7 but is in great condition if anyone is interested!
It really is as clean as the pictures convey.

W2yGnfC.jpg
uMNlYBU.jpg
wKFY13R.jpg

For sure list it in the Lounge classifieds. Make sure you include lots of photos of the hat including any markings on the sweat, the liner, and anything hiding behind the sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider