Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Dating Vintage Stetsons by size tag

I found this interesting. The Centennial box shows that the block rectangular size tag was being used by 1965. It also helps place the use of “crafted edge.” I wonder if the “keyhole” size tag had been completely discontinued by this time.

75366FBB-7AFD-46F2-AEFF-AAD9B75E4E28.jpeg
DDB0F0B2-14CC-405C-8713-F910FF553460.jpeg
46192B58-84EF-45B8-8A76-F0EE57588024.jpeg
D1F13E04-FF90-4106-9B26-67ACA61ABBF6.jpeg

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
I found this interesting. The Centennial box shows that the block rectangular size tag was being used by 1965. It also helps place the use of “crafted edge.” I wonder if the “keyhole” size tag had been completely discontinued by this time.
From my recollection, they still used some of the special keyhole tags for several years into the 60s. Like the wide ovals, etc, the ones that were used less often than the straight sizes.

I have a 3X OR that came in one of those boxes. FWIW, it has the tan keyhole tag as it's labeled a Wide Oval.

From my recollection, they still used some of the special keyhole tags for several years into the 60s. Like the wide ovals, etc, the ones that were used less often than the straight sizes.

A couple of years ago someone here wrote that the long oval, and presumably wide oval, keyhole size tags didn’t neatly conform to the date standards we used on the regular oval hats.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Also the keyhole tag with the whole number and fraction together may have bled over into the early 60s.

They are at least an indicator of the later 50s.

View attachment 354164 View attachment 354165 View attachment 354166 View attachment 354167

Also the keyhole tag with the whole number and fraction together may have bled over into the early 60s.

They are at least an indicator of the later 50s.

My understanding, as cobbled together from by betters here, is that the keyhole size tag with the mixed number sizing started sometime in the mid or latter 1950s and ended sometime in the early or mid 1960s.

M Hatman

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This hat (not mine) is interesting in that it has:
1) Black Sweatband
2) The 3X Roundel on the sweatband,
3) The “green” liner
4) A Selv-Edge
5) Manila keyhole Long Oval size tag without the whole number
6) And a 1960 dated sweatband
Well.....it IS a "Chameleon" after all.......
I do have some mid-60's hats with the roundel, but, as on this example..........they are not very well done...are smaller and have less detail with an almost "blurred" look.