Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dave Brown Hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Anyone heard of them? Unless I read this wrong, He claims to have made the Public Enemies hat that we all know was made by Optimo!

http://www.davebrownhats.com/about_f.html

Click on clients then Johnny Depp and read what it says in the picture.!!!:eek:

Good find IC. Wow, none of that crafty language like Barons. This shady guy says flat out he made the Depp Dillinger hat. The funny thing is, the hats on his site look like any production hat you can get these days. Not too jazzed bout getting a custom low crowned tapered hat with mediocre ribbon work, but then again I'm not a celebritylol .

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
Gee, hatmaking isn't cutthroat..is it? ;)
It sure does disappoint though.

Have you ever heard of this guy, Art? I'd be inclined to call BS on alot of his claims to fame given this blatant lie.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I know of him & have advised him before via email. All I can say is that your instincts aren't far off target. I can't say that I know him personally, not like some of the other respected hatters here, but I put him in the same category as Baron's

I have no absolutely irrefutable knowledge of who made the hat Johnny Depp wears in that shot from the movie, although I have heard from enough sources I consider reliable to believe that it came out of that hat shop in Chicago, and not out of any shop in Southern California or Upstate New York, as has been certainly implied and now outrightly claimed by those who stand to gain from that apparent fiction.

It's a pity. The last thing the industry (such as it is) needs is a reputation as a refuge for charlatans. It's bad enough that some hatters continue embossing all those Xes on their sweatbands, as though they amount to anything more than an attempt to blow smoke up a would-be customer's behind. I can abide a certain amount of that sort of "marketing," although I wouldn't engage in it myself. But out-and-out deception is another matter.

theinterchange said:
Did you notice that he claims to have made the hats for "Leatherhead"... not Leatherheads? lol And... "The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons"

Randy

The admissions office at the Hatters Institute of Technology looks favorably upon applicants with backgrounds in brain surgery and rocket science, but they don't give a hoot about spelling and grammar and usage.

Mulceber said:
Aye, and I'd be inclined to believe it given that he's got pictures of himself on the set with Tom Hanks. -M

Which makes the less, um, verifiable assertions all the more troubling. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt that he turns out a good hat. It's apparently true that he's been at the craft for a good long while and that he has a well-equipped shop and access to first-rate materials and has made a goodly number of hats seen in movies. So why mislead?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Road to Perdition Hat

Apparently he made it and you can buy it with the overcoat.
4189631692_6c977bf163.jpg

http://www.propstore.com/product-Michael-Sullivan-s--Tom-Hanks--Overcoat-and-Fedora.htm

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dillinger

Optimo made the hats for Dillinger. And they made 80 hats for Road to Perdition. I know.

Remember....

Hats made for a movie, one hatter can supply the hats for, say, the main characters, and due to "extras"...other sources are found.

If you made the shit cardboard hats for extras in the bleachers for "Seabiscut" you could claim to have made the hats for the movie.

However, Art Fawcett made the hats for Seabiscut, and supplied the hats and some costumes for "Catch Me if You Can". I have seen the hats, the wardrobe tags, the invoice (they rent the costumes), and the actual hats.

Ask Art. Ask Graham.

Dave Brown did some hats for Tom Hanks. Wow.

I have seen the straw hats used in Seabiscut. They look great on camera. In person, they are the quality Art makes for
my garden hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana