Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB suits and pocket watches

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
WolfeMan said:
How about in a single breasted suit?
Watch in one vest pocket, chain running through one of the buttonholes, and into the pocket on the other side. (Pocket watches were already largely displaced by wristwatches by the time men stopped regularly wearing vests with their suits.)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
WolfeMan said:
I haven't got a vest

That should be remedied. Odd waistcoats (non-matching vests) add a bit of flair to an ensemble, as well as providing space for a watch, and covering shirtfront, which always looks sloppy no matter how much you iron it and giving one a place to tuck one's tie, which would otherwise wander and flop. Unless you wear a bowtie, in which case, the waistcoat frames it nicely.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Currently, Ive got a sport coat, and mostly bow ties,(with an old clip on and a looney tunes neck tie ) but i hope to remedy that. Any idea where i could get a 3 piece suit that isn't too pricey? Or a 2 piece and i could locate a vest.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Dunno if this helps any, but:

j-w-portrait-jeeves-and-wooster-461816_962_1462.1234080489.jpg

Jeeves (Stephen Fry) and Wooster (Hugh Laurie), sitting (in the black, three-piecer) and standing (in the grey, three-piece DB) in a publicity shot. Note the locations of their watch-chains.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
That is a single-breasted suit that Mr Laurie is sporting there. I was watching the DVD only last night.

I love this suit and am very close to ordering a replica from Magnoli Clothiers. I think their Fairbanks Suit in a light grey herringbone would be a close match.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Shangas said:
Sorry, I was referring to the waistcoat...Unless I've made a serious error in terminology...for which I apologise.

Ah, I'm with you. Yes that makes perfect sense.

If I am not mistaken however the OP was asking where one would wear the pocket watch on a DB suit because such a suit would either not have a waistcoat or the waistcoat would always be covered because the jacket would always be buttoned.

If that was the question then Dinerman answered it perfectly.

But I could be completely wrong...

I'm going to have another look at that picture of Hugh Laurie's suit. Thanks for posting it...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Anton,

Yeah sorry about the confusion there. I was referring to the double-breasted waistcoat that Laurie was wearing, not the actual suit-coat.

If that was the case (DB suitcoat), then I think putting the watch into the breas-pocket and putting the chain through the lapel buttonhole would be the best thing to do. It would keep the watch nice and accessible and it would add a nice bit of colour to the suit. I've done something like this before (but with a single-breasted overcoat) and to pull off this effect nicely, the OP will need an Albert chain.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Shangas said:
If that was the case (DB suitcoat), then I think putting the watch into the breas-pocket and putting the chain through the lapel buttonhole would be the best thing to do. It would keep the watch nice and accessible and it would add a nice bit of colour to the suit. I've done something like this before (but with a single-breasted overcoat) and to pull off this effect nicely, the OP will need an Albert chain.

Hi Shangas

Agreed. Or a short leather strap works too

lg-promo-jeeves-and-wooster-1.jpg

(...keeping with the J&W theme.)

Regards
Anton

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Charlie Huang said:
There is a site that sells these pocket watch straps but I forgot where!

If you do remember or stumble across that site again please do post back, Charlie as I'd love to get one.

Charlie Huang said:
IMO, these straps are for casual/country wear in lieu of City wear.

We don't do the 'brown in town' thing anymore do we?

Nice pic Shangas, thanks.

A

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Jeeves (Stephen Fry) and Wooster (Hugh Laurie), sitting (in the black, three-piecer) and standing (in the grey, three-piece DB) in a publicity shot. Note the locations of their watch-chains.
Sorry to be picky, but the black suit is not a three piece. It's a stroller, since the trousers are black and grey striped if you look closely. Very common for bankers and businessmen in the Golden Era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21