DC-3 / C-47

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Tiki Tom, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

DeaconKC and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Practically Family

Today is happy 75th birthday of Princess Amalia - famous C-47 PH-PBA

[​IMG]

3. DeaconKC

DeaconKC One Too Many

So glad I found this thread!

3fingers likes this.
  4. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Practically Family

Now that is a thing of beauty!

Mike

Flightengineer likes this.
  5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Richard Branson had a couple of DC3's restored and flew them out of Florida in the 1980's. Try as I might to get a couple of seats on one of them, they were booked out months in advance, never did fly in one.
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/863213453547783944/
    It might well be, arguably, the greatest design ever, but as we were disappointed over not being able to fly in Branson's DC3's, I made sure that we had seats on something else from the era last June, as we celebrated our golden wedding anniversary. The plane is a Dragon Rapide:
    dragon-rapide-570-3.jpg

glwanabe, Tiki Tom, arkadijs and 2 others like this.
  6. arkadijs

arkadijs Familiar Face

Photographed at the airport of Addis Ababa. In the distance a little destroyed by DC-3 is visible DSCF0473_обработано (997 x 665).jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  7. arkadijs

arkadijs Familiar Face

Iceland, Reykjavik. The airworthy Douglas C-47 (now made up to look more like its civilian equivalent, a DC-3) TF-NPK in the museum spends the long, light northern summers outside, where the golden orange of Icelandair’s accent colour really pops. (The modern Icelandair livery, of course, is not historically accurate, but reflects the assistance of the national airline in the preservation of this aircraft, which played a significant role in soil convervation efforts across the country.) DSCF2055_обработано (997 x 665).jpg Sin-título-1-157-680x365_c.jpg

8. Flightengineer

So sad...

Tiki Tom likes this.
  9. arkadijs

arkadijs Familiar Face

Flightengineer and Tiki Tom like this.
  10. arkadijs

arkadijs Familiar Face

Li-2 (Lisunov model the 2nd) — the Soviet military transport plane which production was begun in 1942 in Tashkent on the basis of the passenger PS-84 (1939) plane created, in turn, on the basis of license production of the American Douglas DC-3. 1436012983_1363785551_1415282_обработано.jpg 1436012203_c3ec8fc54bb2133fd7346d8b73b98067_обработано.jpg li-2.h58_обработано.jpg

11. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

Viewing that photo, at first questions spring to mind. These are followed by hypothetical destinations and possible high-stakes missions. Finally slightly disreputable, romantic characters wander into the imagination; a captain in his old WWII crusher and a leather jacket, a beautiful drifter on a quest, a hard-drinking smuggler with a heart of gold. The Dakota is almost out of fuel, leaking gas, all shot-up, and is coming in on a wing and a prayer... Is it possible to view a wrecked DC-3 by the side of a runway in a third-world country without conjuring up a story worthy of a dime novel or pulp magazine?

Flightengineer and arkadijs like this.
  12. Flightengineer

We lost Li-2 from the last photo in a catastrophe in 2004, it was the last flying Li-2 in Russia. It was a great loss of good friends and rare plane. Now there is the last and only one flying Li-2 in Hungary.

13. Flightengineer

Li-2 was not based on PS-84. PS-84 = Li-2. Since 1942, it's began to call planes according to the new system approved by the USSR according to the first letters of the designer. In this case, Lisunov was the chief engineer of the plant and led this plane implementation.
    Production was started in 1938-39 in Moscow (in Khimki) and in 1942 continued in Tashkent.

arkadijs likes this.
  14. arkadijs

arkadijs Familiar Face

Yes, in the last photo Li-2 (issue date 1952) shortly before plane crash on June 26, 2004.

15. Flightengineer

Also...The middle photo (black /white) was taken at Vnukovo airport and on it is not Li-2 but DC-3 (or maybe C-47).

16. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

17. glwanabe

glwanabe New in Town

I've gone up in DC-3's about a dozen times, but have never landed in one. I always got out at altitude.

18. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

19. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  20. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Tiki Tom likes this.