Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DE shaving issues

PhilD82

New in Town
Hiya everybody, I'm the proud but bloodied owner of a Merkur 34C safety razor, now, I know it's all about the right angle and taking your time etc, but I have a really good shave when I use a new blade, with maybe the odd cut here and there that I can stop with a good splash of cold water, but the next time I use it, no matter how careful I am, it hacks my face to ribbons and I have to go back to the Mach 3 until I recover (plus I've got a mole on my chin which I keep slicing off) it's a lovely razor and I would love to learn to use the damn thing properly- I use a shaving brush and some lovely Trumper's soap, so will the knack come with practice or am I just unsuited to DE shaving? I'm using the Treet blades that came with it, so maybe it's a blade thing? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

JimWagner

Practically Family
I haven't used a DE razor since the 60's - for the reasons you note.

Putting on flame retardant suit: I know there are quite a few people here who really like to use vintage razors, but for me this is a case where vintage is definitely not better. There's a good reason those things went out of general use.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I have converted to wetshaving some twenty years ago, I agree with Feraud that it might be the blades you're using. The Merkur, although I don't have one myself, is a good razor. It could also be the preparation; I'd recommend spending some time on one of the wetshaving forums, if you haven't already. There is much solid information and many great folks to assist. Try : http://www.shavemyface.com/ or http://www.badgerandblade.com/

And good luck, don't give up; the results can be FAR superior to the slices and dice multi-blades that are out there now.

Cliff

PhilD82

New in Town
Cheers folks, I'll get some Derby DE blades (they seem to be fairly highly regarded on the likes of badger and blade) no joy with those and I'll have to write off DE shaving as a failed experiment- I'll keep the brush and soap though!

Michaelshane

One Too Many

Putting on flame retardant suit: I know there are quite a few people here who really like to use vintage razors, but for me this is a case where vintage is definitely not better. There's a good reason those things went out of general use.

By your avatar it looks like you don't use modern razors either.....

JimWagner

Practically Family
By your avatar it looks like you don't use modern razors either.....

Not so much. :cool:

Actually, I shave my neck and part of my cheeks daily. After they quit making the Atra that I used to use I switched to the Fusion. Those types of razors give me the control I need to only cut what I want to and shave very close. Without slicing myself up in the process.

I really did use DE razors in the 60's and I don't think I ever even once shaved without cutting myself. I must have tried every DE and blade combination available in those days trying to find one that I could use. Started out on Gillette Blue Blades and progressed through stainless steel when they came out.

After I switched to injector blade razors I had much better luck, but eventually those got hard to find and I went through a number of options before finding the Atra. And finally the Fusion.

I guess using DE razors when they were pretty much the only option in town gives me a different perspective than those who "discover" them now.

I pretty much have always used brush and soap, if that provides a little "vintage cred".

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
You need to check out mantic59's great videos on wet shaving. He has a whole series of "how to" videos that provide a lot of good information and tips.

Another forum on wet shaving is The Shave Den.

I started using a DE as a natural progression from finally finding a shave brush and soap (at Wal-Mart) a few years ago and realizing it was just what I'd been looking for all my adult life--I hated using the canned shave cream!

Like the others, I'd suggest trying different blades. I've found some don't work well for me at all, others (Wilkenson Sword) do well as a daily, reliable blade, and I enjoy giving other brands a try from time to time. I'm using a vintage Gillette razor.

Check out the videos, buy a sampler pack of blades, remember that the key to a good shave is good beard prep, and above all keep practicing and never rush!

Cheers,
Tom

cooncatbob

Practically Family

DE razors went out of wide spread use due to marketing by Gillette for their new (more expensive) cartridge shaving system (Trac II) and the fact that they require a certain amount of skill to perform properly, I'm sorry your daddy didn't teach you how to shave properly. :lol:
The DE razor unlike razors with pivoting heads require the user to maintain the correct blade angle, incorrect blade angle can result in an unsatisfactory shave.
Once this skill is learn it becomes 2nd nature, I've been DE shaving for the part 5 years and for the past 3 years I'm also using the DE razor on my head, blood letting is a very rare occurrence.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've been shaving with a DE razor for about 2 years now. Once I got the hang of it (maybe a week or so), it was smooth sailing and I can shave as quickly as I did with a Mach 3. The best part of DE shaving is that the blades cost me .10 a piece. I buy them off ebay in packs of 100.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I'm a wet shaver too. Using DE vintage razors gives me the shave I like. Derby blades are my favorite, but I only get about three good shaves from them because of a very coarse beard. And by the way, check out the gorgeous razors CooncatBob makes, beautiful doesn't even describe it.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I take old ugly razors.....
P1050188_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]
and make them look like this....
P1050198_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Mr_D.

A-List Customer

Its a personal thing. I know i use a vintage Gillette double edge razor and it give me a better shave then any of the new 15 blade contraptions they have now. With practice and patients, it gives me a smooth, clean shave and leave my face feeling fresh. When I first got it. I kept my Mach 3 on the counter to "smooth" things up after. but after a few times learning how to use it. I threw the Mach 3 in the trash.

I have only cut myself once, and it was a small pimple I had on my chin.

So as I said, Shaving is all a personal feel in what you like.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Hiya everybody, I'm the proud but bloodied owner of a Merkur 34C safety razor, now, I know it's all about the right angle and taking your time etc, but I have a really good shave when I use a new blade, with maybe the odd cut here and there that I can stop with a good splash of cold water, but the next time I use it, no matter how careful I am, it hacks my face to ribbons and I have to go back to the Mach 3 until I recover (plus I've got a mole on my chin which I keep slicing off) it's a lovely razor and I would love to learn to use the damn thing properly- I use a shaving brush and some lovely Trumper's soap, so will the knack come with practice or am I just unsuited to DE shaving? I'm using the Treet blades that came with it, so maybe it's a blade thing? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Just to address your specific problem with getting a good shave first time and then cutting yourself up 2nd. How hot is the water you rinse your blade in? It's very easy to warp a razor blade with very hot water,if you used the multi blade things on the market now,they will take much hotter water without becoming damaged because of the nature of the cartridges. Try rinsing the blade off in the handhot water you sluiced your face with and used for your brush and soap as you shave,and then when you've finished wash your razor off in a little warm water with a bit of mild disinfectant in it.
Very hot water will damage your blades and your brush,be a bit careful.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Lather

I find that if I am lazy and do not take the time to properly apply shaving soap with a brush, I hack myself up nicely.

Work up a good lather on either a badger brush (soft feel) or a boar brush, which is much harder, and has a defoliating action on the skin.

Be sure to get right down to the root level on the hair. This is key, otherwise you are having close to the equivalent of a dry shave. Give the lather a minute or two to soak in.

Be sure to stretch the skin as you shave, and work slowly.

Good luck, and keep that styptic pencil handy.

Let us know how it works.

Harry.

Edward

Bartender
I have converted to wetshaving some twenty years ago, I agree with Feraud that it might be the blades you're using. The Merkur, although I don't have one myself, is a good razor. It could also be the preparation; I'd recommend spending some time on one of the wetshaving forums, if you haven't already. There is much solid information and many great folks to assist. Try : http://www.shavemyface.com/ or http://www.badgerandblade.com/

And good luck, don't give up; the results can be FAR superior to the slices and dice multi-blades that are out there now.

Cliff

That's what I find myself. It initially seemed counter-intuitive, but then I'm sure that was a marketing thing as much as anything....

After I switched to injector blade razors I had much better luck, but eventually those got hard to find and I went through a number of options before finding the Atra. And finally the Fusion.

I was using a fusion for a couple of years before I moved on to the DE. I much prefer the DE on my face. Once I got the hang of it (practicing on my arm first helped), I did find I get a much better shave with it. I also enjoy the process more - the accoutrements, the ritual. Partly the same reason I shifted from the very occasional cigar to the very occasional pipe, I suppose.

I guess using DE razors when they were pretty much the only option in town gives me a different perspective than those who "discover" them now.

I imagine so. I often find this to be true of vintage things in the broadest sense. The 50s music scene, for example - any gigs I have ever gone to, the folks who were there first time around dress modern; the vintage dressers are those of us who weren't. Maybe nostalgia plays a part there - specifically, that species of nostalgia for a perceived version of a time we did not experience first hand?

I pretty much have always used brush and soap, if that provides a little "vintage cred".

Forget 'vintage cred', 'superior shave' is the important question here! ;-)

DE razors went out of wide spread use due to marketing by Gillette for their new (more expensive) cartridge shaving system (Trac II) and the fact that they require a certain amount of skill to perform properly, I'm sorry your daddy didn't teach you how to shave properly. :lol:
The DE razor unlike razors with pivoting heads require the user to maintain the correct blade angle, incorrect blade angle can result in an unsatisfactory shave.
Once this skill is learn it becomes 2nd nature, I've been DE shaving for the part 5 years and for the past 3 years I'm also using the DE razor on my head, blood letting is a very rare occurrence.

I'm impressed you can do your head with them - after a few very bloody episodes, I had to go back to shaving my head with a cartridge razor. An issue of me needing to be able to see what I'm doing to get the right angle with a DE. At least the (horrendously expensive) cartridges last longer now they're only being used on my scalp. I was until very recently using a Fusion on my head. A good shave, but the (for me, entirely redundant) single blade on the back kept getting in the way, occasionally slicing my fingers on the other hand, which I use as a guide to feel out what areas I have yet to do. Visiting my folks for a few days a few months back, I forgot to take a razor with me, and used an old Mach 3 I keep there. I did not feel that I ended up with results in any way inferior to the Fusion, so with the price of cartridges for the latter being what thy are now, I decided to look for something else for my head. Recently, I was using disposable Gilette 3s (GBP1.00 ea, as opposed to the Fusion being in the region of GBP2.50 per cartridge), but I do worry about the environmental impact of handle and all being disposable. My latest experiment - bought last night, not yet used - is a Wilkinson's Sword (I think) three bladed affair, with a moisturising strip on the head of the razor. GBP1.15 per cartridge.

All done and said, the right razor for the individual is the one that works best on their face / wherever else. I am most definitely convinced, though, that a good brush and soap makes all the difference over any modern foams and gels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112