Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deadstock 1955 Levis 501XX

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wow, maybe it's just because the dollar is way down relative to its historical value, but those are REALLY expensive. I was in the Union Square Levis Outlet, in San Francisco, a few months ago and those were retailing for about $280. At current exchange rates those are about $350 USD.

Edward

Bartender
I remember back in the late 80s Levis 501s sold in the UK for GBP50 a pair - probably the equivalent of double that in today's money? At the same time, an army surplus shop I used to frequent in Belfast used to sell second-hand 501s they'd bought in from the US (I believe they were used prison uniform) for GBP35.00. Last I saw, nowadays they sell for GBP25 (which is about forty buck US currently, I believe).

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wow, thanks for the info BK. Those price differences probably give folks in the UK a big incentive to shop online, yeah? Even with overseas shipping it seems like you'd save a bundle by ordering from the US.

Oh. and those definitely look like they're from the LVC collection to me (the contrasting/non-matching stitching on the pocket V, the weave of the denim, the shape of the stitching around the covered pocket rivet) but I would double check. Last season Levis -- in the US at least -- sold 501XX with redline selvage as a mid-level part of their regular collection which retailed at $99 USD. The pair I bought did have a fairly 50s cut.

Edward

Bartender
Wow, thanks for the info BK. Those price differences probably give folks in the UK a big incentive to shop online, yeah? Even with overseas shipping it seems like you'd save a bundle by ordering from the US.

It varies, depending upon shipping and whether you get hit by customs. Once Parcelforce add their handling fee to customs charges, it quickly becomes false economy for small items, but yes there are savings to be made for sure. I remembering buying more fro the US than the UK a few years ago when the pound was at a heady USD2.20. If only the exchange rate would swing that way again, I'd maybe be onto John for one of his A2s....

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Thank goodness I got a pair of LVC 1955s with tags and all, American made, for £100. Super lucky find. I missed my chance 2 years ago when they were £110 over here, then they stopped making them in Japan and the prices skyrocketed to £200.

When the LVC was just coming out in the UK - maybe '99 or 2000 - they were actually quite cheap in the UK. I picked up a first pattern jacket from a store in Aberdeen in '99 i think, for £60. The prices for LVC in the stores in London are very high. incidentally, the price are exactly the same in Kuala Lumpur and in Singapore. I don't know why they charge so much more for LVC outside the US than inside.

Oh. and those definitely look like they're from the LVC collection to me (the contrasting/non-matching stitching on the pocket V, the weave of the denim, the shape of the stitching around the covered pocket rivet) but I would double check. Last season Levis -- in the US at least -- sold 501XX with redline selvage as a mid-level part of their regular collection which retailed at $99 USD. The pair I bought did have a fairly 50s cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21