Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deals on Custom Shirts

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hey everyone.. I came across this and figured I'd share (again.. since my first post vanished). I know this is Target, and it's not REAL vintage or anything... but Target apparently runs a pretty nice custom clothing department.

http://custom.target.com/cgi-bin/custom.pl

You can get shirts with any kind of collar, cuff, etc. I think the "spread collar" has a nice vintage look to it, but, I could be wrong. These shirts are completely customized to your measurements and they run about $45. Not too bad if you ask me. I do wish there were more colors, but there are plenty of options to make up for it. You can even get French cuffs! I'll probably be getting one to see how it looks and fits and all, then maybe more will follow! Anyway, just wanted to share.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yeah, i'm not sure if it's online only or what, we have no Target nearby. I know JCPenneys is also offering tuxedos now, but I assume they just order from a vendor. I look forward to seeing more stores pay attention to quality men's clothing tailored to fit. It's hard for me to find slim fit shirts that I need, and when I do they're expensive.

On another note, I couldn't help but notice by peeking in your profile that you're a youngster like me (and a Star Wars fan, kudos). It's good to see other younger people getting into this style and lifestyle. I have this theory that fashion is just going through the same trends in reverse. 80's style was in a couple years, now everyone is doing the trendy 70's thing. Maybe it's only a matter of time before the streets are filled with fedoras and tailored suits.

But I've gone rambling.. back to the topic.. shirts.. yes.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Shoulder pleat?

I was looking at the Target order form where they ask if you want a box pleat or a shoulder pleat on back. The so-called shoulder pleat looks plainer, with no pleat, but a separate piece of material starting several inches below the shoulder. What exactly is a "shoulder pleat"?

I heard about the fine tailors in Hong Kong who'll get you a custom shirt for $38. Now I'm stuck wondering why one would be better than the other, assuming all things are equal (like, say, quality). Any opinions on Target vs. Hong Kong?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
adamgottschalk said:
Now I'm stuck wondering why one would be better than the other, assuming all things are equal (like, say, quality). Any opinions on Target vs. Hong Kong?

One's a lot closer!

I don't see what the difference would be, cotton is cotton. On that second site I listed, they say they cut their collars and cuffs by hand, so they're highly customizeable, blah blah, and a lot more expensive. I have no idea about shoulder pleats...

shindeco

A-List Customer
adamgottschalk said:
What exactly is a "shoulder pleat"?

A well made shirt will have "ease" in the back. This is extra material to allow for the movement of the arm. There are several ways to put the ease in. The most common is the box pleat in the centre of the back. The second most common is shoulder pleats: a smaller pleat over each shoulder blade. You can also get what are really just gathers over the shoulder blade, too.

As to the relative quality of HK vs. Target--can't say. I had some shirts made many years ago in HK and was very pleased with them. They were every bit as good as most off the rack shirts.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Straight 2 Collar on Target site

Hello Gent's,

What do you all think of the straight 2 collar on the Target site? Seems to have the vintage curve the collar but not the usual length.

Cheers

Peter

Feraud

Bartender
Mr_Misanthropy said:
It's hard for me to find slim fit shirts that I need, and when I do they're expensive.
Just an fyi. I have lately seen a couple of shirtmakers featuring a "slim fit" on their off the rack shirts. These are brand name shirt makers and the prices are not more than the regular ones. If I can remember the makers I will pass the name along. Keep your eyes open because they are out there.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thanks for the heads up. I know Brooks Brothers makes a slim fit line.. and maybe Ralph Lauren too. But i'd love to find some more, and not at $78 a shirt like the Ralphs....

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Straight 2

3PieceSuitGuy said:
Hello Gent's,

What do you all think of the straight 2 collar on the Target site? Seems to have the vintage curve the collar but not the usual length.

Cheers

Peter
The straight 2 is the one I'd choose. May not be as long as vintage, but looks plenty long to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner