Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This post is to acknowledge when a notable individual unrelated to the Golden Era passes away. -HJ

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/diddley.obit/index.html

(CNN) -- Bo Diddley, the musical pioneer whose songs, such as "Who Do You Love?" and "Bo Diddley," melded rhythm and blues and rock 'n' roll through a distinctive thumping beat, has died. He was 79.
Diddley died Monday, surrounded by family and loved ones at his home in Archer, Florida, a family spokeswoman said.

The cause was heart failure, his family said.

The world-renowned guitarist's signature beat -- usually played on an equally distinctive rectangular-bodied guitar -- laid the foundation for rock 'n' roll for decades, and became so identified with him that it became known as the "Bo Diddley" beat. iReport.com: Share your memories of the bluesman

"This distinctive, African-based 5/4 rhythm pattern (which goes bomp-bomp-bomp bomp-bomp) was picked up by other artists and has been a distinctive and recurring element in rock 'n' roll through the decades," according to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Among the artists who made use of the Bo Diddley beat were Buddy Holly ("Not Fade Away," later covered by the Rolling Stones), Johnny Otis ("Willie and the Hand Jive"), the Strangeloves ("I Want Candy"), U2 ("Desire") and George Michael ("Faith"). Hundreds of artists have covered Diddley songs.

His debut single was his self-titled classic, with "I'm a Man" as its B-side.

"It was the first in a string of groundbreaking sides that walked the fine line between rhythm & blues and rock 'n' roll," his Hall of Fame biography says.

Diddley was a contemporary of Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and Elvis Presley. Diddley's first records were with the Checker label, which also represented Berry.

Diddley was born Ellas Otha Bates in McComb, Mississippi, later taking the name McDaniel after being adopted by his mother's cousin. Diddley's family moved to Chicago when he was 7, according to his Hall of Fame biography.

He played violin as a child, but said he was inspired to pick up the guitar after hearing John Lee Hooker's 1949 rhythm and blues hit, "Boogie Chillen."

He continued to tour well into 2007, but suffered a stroke last May and a heart attack in August.

He was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in January 1987.

:(

LD

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw him live outdoors in Boston in 1970. What a great performer! Here's a bit of perspective: Buddy Holley, who died in 1959, used Bo Diddley's rhythm as a background to many of his songs (Not Fade Away, etc.) Bo was one of the most important fathers of Rock'n'Roll. A sad day.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had just turned 1 when Bo's 'Bo Diddley' hit #1 on the R&B charts. Of course we didn't hear it, as my parents were as far from R&B as '50's parents could be! Such was the state of music in mid-Century America.

But.... as I grew up I perceived the value of the melding of Blues and Rock & Roll and that Bo Diddley beat rooted itself in my little brain. It is unmistakable and once it gets hold of you, it never lets go!

"Who Do You Love"? Bo Diddley of course! Thank you Ellas McDaniel! You moved me. :cry:

-dixon cannon

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I accidentally ran into Bo Diddly about 10 years ago in a bookstore, and I was shocked, to say the least. He was dressed in his trademark Homburg, looking as dapper as always, and was a true gentleman to me, very kind and gracious. He was a pioneer of Rock & Roll and will certainly be missed.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Probably one of the top contributers to rock and roll ever.
Buddy Holly used "the Bo Diddley Beat" as well as many, many of the rock pioneers. Thanks for the music. RIP Bo Diddley.

pgoat

One Too Many
(to name just one)

There are several generations of club kids who prolly don't realize where "How Soon is Now" came from...

pgoat

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I saw him live outdoors in Boston in 1970. What a great performer! Here's a bit of perspective: Buddy Holley, who died in 1959, used Bo Diddley's rhythm as a background to many of his songs (Not Fade Away, etc.) Bo was one of the most important fathers of Rock'n'Roll. A sad day.

And great as Buddy was, that amazing sound on Bo's classic records was a big part of the deal - Chess being every bit as important and distinctive as Sun or any other major rock and roll studio. The huge sound of that distorted guitar and the maracas chugging along was amazing to my young ears the first time I heard it and still slays me today...

RIOT

Practically Family
RIP Stan Winston

Sad sad news. RIP

stanwinston.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46007

RIOT

Practically Family
Feraud said:
In the pic above, the green guy w/the spiked eyepatch is from Galaxy Quest right?

Yes. General Sarris I believe was it's name.

It's amazing how much of Stan Winston's work in engrained in Hollywood movies. A true pioneer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB