Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Debate...how to store Montecristi.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've been trying to research the best methods to store a Montecristi...help.

Most hat sites say on the crown, but these aren't starched, stiff crowns...they are soft and pliable.

Feedback please.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The only way Ii would consider storing one is in a hat ring with a box. If possible, with a thin plastic cover over the crown. It's called "pliofilm" and can be purchased at Baron Hats in Burbank Ca.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I think he is asking about daily use. When i take my hat off i set it on the crown. I guess if its a Montecristi it should be set on its brim. A fur felt fedora should be set on the crown.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Ahhh, I DID misunderstand Roger. When taking my hat off after wearing for a while I sit it on a shelf, on it's brim with the front of the hat overhanging the edge so as to not loose the drop at the front. I have set them flat on the table before only to find that the upward curl is re-set and need steam to relax again. I don't have enough practical experience with fino fino & higher grade Monticristi's to know for sure. I DO still use pliofilm to keep the dust off. Rundquist, AndyKev, any thoughts? You guys have more practical experience in this.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Storing a fine hat in public places can be a bit daunting at times. I know when I go out I have a hard time finding a place to put my lid. With the lose of hat racks or the Hat and Coat Check, it can be a challenge sometimes to put it somewhere you feel is safe. Sometimes you get lucky and the place will have a nice shelf above you seat back or something. Especially any of my Panama's, those make me paranoid, I am really really protective over them.:cool2:

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I always lay the hat down on the crown as I have been tought to do with any hat. I have always been told that is the proper way to do it, so I have followed that premiss all along. I try to be very protective of my hats, especially my vintage lids.:cool2:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Storage

If you want to STORE your hat, in off season, or when "put away": Felts- gently brush the hat counter-clockwise with a soft hat brush. Put the pilofilm over the crown, and insert the hat crown down in the hat box with the cardboard support. Quality boxes have foam or serrated cardboard to not leave a sharp ring in the top of the brim (remember it's upside down). I place a tissue cover over the hat, and then securely close the lid. For winter storage, I put in one (1) moth ball (paradichlorobenzine). This is added insurance in case Mr. Silverfish goes a wandering.

For the Straw, I also store the hat in similar fashion, sans the mothball.

For setting down, Bogie1943 is right, try going to a restaurant and see the lack of places to place the hat. I usually take a table with an extra chair for my good friend the hat.

Never place the hat down on the brim. It will spoil the shape of the brim. In those cases, like on the car seat, put the hat down on the Crown. CAREFUL!! makesure some table or whatever is not greasy or dirty, lest you impart a lasting reminder to your crown edge!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Andykev Wrote,

Quality boxes have foam or serrated cardboard to not leave a sharp ring in the top of the brim (remember it's upside down). I place a tissue cover over the hat, and then securely close the lid.

Can you tell us where to buy boxes like you have written about above.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All my hat boxes

The VINTAGE hat boxes usually come with the cardboard ring and circle (elipse) inside the box. The NEW ones from OPTIMO have the same support ring and circle.

I had a vintage box once with no support in it, so I just made one from heavy posterboard ...making a circle and heavy staples (3) to secure it. You can also use hot glue guns for this. The "ring" part was harder, but I traced the bottom of the hatbox onto the posterboard, and then used a sharp knife and scissors to carefully trim it. It came out really good but took some time as I wanted it to look like the original.

You can buy plain old foam, the spoungy kind, and also staple it around the center support, so it is maybe 1/4 inch higher than the edge of the cardboard.

Most craft stores have everything you can think of.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh and I forgot

You asked where to get the boxes, and I run off with the cheapie solution.

Here is the place that OPTIMO gets their hat boxes from. This company will design and make any package or box to your specifications.

If you want ONE, and not hundreds, they have pre-made ones. They seem pricey to me, but maybe you can call and ask about a plain one instead of a fancy one.

http://www.hupaco.pitneyworks.com/

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: All my hat boxes

Originally posted by Andykev
...I had a vintage box once with no support in it, so I just made one from heavy posterboard ...making a circle and heavy staples (3) to secure it. You can also use hot glue guns for this. The "ring" part was harder, but I traced the bottom of the hatbox onto the posterboard, and then used a sharp knife and scissors to carefully trim it. It came out really good but took some time as I wanted it to look like the original.

You can buy plain old foam, the spoungy kind, and also staple it around the center support, so it is maybe 1/4 inch higher than the edge of the cardboard...

Any chance of posting a photo?

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn