Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decal Application tips?

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
Greetings All,

I have an air corps decal that I got from Garcia Aviation. I want to put it on the shoulder of my repro B-3. Does anyone have suggestions or gotchas for putting the decal on? I have looked here and over at Vintage Leather Jackets and couldn't find any information.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
If those are the ones with the straight wings ... don't.

AAf shoulder meatballs should look exactly like this on a A-2.

These are hand painted.

130314098.jpg

236608041.jpg

The ones that Garcia sells are not like this I believe and have a different wing configuration.

The other variation I have seen is a all white outline type that go on depot re-dye jackets.

Jerome

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
Jerome,

Thanks for the reply and the examples. Here is what I got from Garcia.
picservecgi.jpg

If this isn't correct I will probably end up hand painting them. What did you use to seal the paint? I am guessing acrylic paint is the best to use? This is my first time painting a leather jacket, just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Ryan

mister7

Familiar Face
I don't really have any experiential basis for saying this, but my initial reaction was "Don't do it!".

I guess I think a decal is only suited to non-flexible surfaces, and on a jacket shoulder will have a very short lifespan. Like I said, I'm just shooting from the hip with this opinion.

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
If it is a decal it will crack and fall off. That is the right wing and star though.The lettering should be in white by the way and the typeface is the wrong size.

Yes acrylic paint Createx / airbrush paint or any other textile or garment ready paint like cova color from Tandy leather.
Seal it with the matt sealer (from same source) and heat set with an iron on medium(just before the steam setting) with a brand new t-shirt over it or a hairdryer on high .

Jerome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ