Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deck Jacket advice

Gimli

New in Town
Looking for some advice on purchasing a deck jacket (Size S).
Maybe you know some brands or outlets I’m not familiar with?

Have pined for one ever since trying on a pike brothers. Then the shop closed down. Am in Australia so very hard to try out any.

This is what I’m after:
- darker colours preferred.
- real wool or alpaca, not synthetic.
- no stencil.
- hood is a bonus. I understand this is not historically accurate but am after functionality over accurate repro.
- inside pocket.

Any advice Is gratefully received.

Peacoat

Bartender

jeo

One Too Many
Pike Bro’s is probably best value.

Dehen make a great one.

The Real McCoys is a classic.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lol that preview alone makes me laugh. Does it get more Standard & Strange than trying to use stitches per inch as a buzzword?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve got two Iron Heart N-1’s and I highly recommend them. They have everything you are looking for except the hood (thank god!).

CatsCan

Practically Family
As far as I know, a hooded version is also historically correct.

hooded N1.jpg

Pike Brothers has an olive waxed version (non-hooded). It is a very dark olive. Original N1s started their "life" in an olive drab shade #3 before they bleached into "khaki" shades of all intensities, up to kind of yellowish. Olive drab #3 is a pale olive (like the one in the above shown image abeit the photo does not show the color exactly right). The later A-2 Deck Jackets were olive drab #7, which is a darker olive. Modern olive colors and tan shades will not have this effect, they fade to a kind of pale grey-olive instead. All of Pike Brothers N-1s come with an inside pocket. They ship worldwide. Price is much lower than any Buzz or Real Mccoy even when considering shipping costs and import duty. Quality is very good, a hard wearing, indestructable make. 100% wool liner, dense Jungle Cloth outer. Just not my taste anymore (fit-wise, they have long and a bit bulky sleeves).

Bronson is fitting better. But I recently had a quality issue with one single speciman N1 I purchased by Bronson and returing to china is not a cheap thing.

You can easily attatch an inside pocket stitched directly to the liner, by the way. It won't show from the outside.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21