Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deerskin Leather Jackets, Anyone?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I am wondering whether anyone owns a deerskin leather jacket, and if so, how they like it.
I own a pair of suede deerskin Bundhosen (basically, longer Lederhosen). The leather is comfortable, very soft, and broke in easily. The Bundhosen should easily last a lifetime, but then again, I only wear it a few times a year to German events. I am wondering how durable a deerskin jacket would be when subjected to daily wear conditions.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Very supple, very durable. The skins are tough, cause deer run through the woods, etc. I have a newer one I wear all the time for work (I work outdoors) 'cause you can't beat it for range of motion and durability. It's dark brown. If you buy new, they are expensive, the deer are farmed I think; or you can buy one from game/hunters/ raw hide, which have variations all through the skins from nature, and worse. I have a black one that way, has rough patches, tears, and scars, but kind of cool. Go black or dark brown: I also have several light-skinned vintage ones that feel great and look great if you don't mind the dirt, stains, etc. that show on light-colored leather, but the leather itself is still soft and pliable after decades, and in great condition.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Doesn't deerskin tend to be fairly thin? ie: less than .80 to .90 mm maybe? or can you get 1.2 mm type hides?

Doesn't deerskin tend to be fairly thin? ie: less than .80 to .90 mm maybe? or can you get 1.2 mm type hides?

I've got deerskin boots and they are nice and thick. I've seen jackets the same. It's very soft yes, but nice and strong too. Usually the styles are western or Native American though from what I've seen.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Very supple, very durable. The skins are tough, cause deer run through the woods, etc. I have a newer one I wear all the time for work (I work outdoors) 'cause you can't beat it for range of motion and durability. It's dark brown. If you buy new, they are expensive, the deer are farmed I think; or you can buy one from game/hunters/ raw hide, which have variations all through the skins from nature, and worse. I have a black one that way, has rough patches, tears, and scars, but kind of cool. Go black or dark brown: I also have several light-skinned vintage ones that feel great and look great if you don't mind the dirt, stains, etc. that show on light-colored leather, but the leather itself is still soft and pliable after decades, and in great condition.

Thanks for the reply.
If I could ask some more: How well does your coat repel rain? Does water damage it at all?
Also, you recommended Lost Worlds before (in the Barnstormer Regrets thread). I notice that they sell custom deerskin jackets. If it is not too rude to ask, did you purchase yours from them?

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
9874bdda127061ba_halfbelt%20deerskin%20p1%20copy.jpg

Not actual Deerskin but nice. Aero's summer half belt.

ampgoesto11

New in Town
I own a deerskin car coat that I purchased two years ago while in London. It is black, about 1.2 thick. I was instructed to care for it and treat it with any conditioner that is appropriate for naked cowhide. I used Fox Creek's house brand conditioner and the results were excellent. I was told to NOT use any conditioner that waterproofed. The jacket is super soft and pliable, requiring little break-in. However, I have noticed that, like my elkskin MC golves, the deer hide tends to be less resistant to scrapes and rub marks compared to my cow, horse, and goat hide products. It is a nice jacket that seems to require a little more care than my others, but it pays back in supreme comfort while driving with the top down. I would not wear it in the rain, but having not done this, I cannot speak for its ability to resist soaking.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Thanks for the reply.
If I could ask some more: How well does your coat repel rain? Does water damage it at all?
Also, you recommended Lost Worlds before (in the Barnstormer Regrets thread). I notice that they sell custom deerskin jackets. If it is not too rude to ask, did you purchase yours from them?
It weathers fine...rain gets it wet, it survives, just like cow or goat, etc. It's a pricey hide--yet you can't let that deter you from wearing it anywhere/anytime. LW does make custom deerskin, I have one, it's worth it. Also 800Branded makes them. Uber. Keep in mind: this is not a warm jacket--you cannot line it with anything heavy or the deerskin won't drape right. I have one deerskin that is unlined and I really like that too, will do it again if it ever bites the dust.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i've had a deerskin jacket and a deerskin fringed "mountain man" shirt for blackpowder shooting.

i'll agree on keeping it conditioned, but not waterproofed. keep it a little greasy, if you expect to get it wet that is. wet deerskin is miserable. gets almost a gummy feel to it. but it is tough and is supposed to be more abrasion resistant than cowhide (at 1/3 the thickness) for motorcyclists.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
LW does make custom deerskin, I have one, it's worth it. Also 800Branded makes them. Uber. Keep in mind: this is not a warm jacket--you cannot line it with anything heavy or the deerskin won't drape right. I have one deerskin that is unlined and I really like that too, will do it again if it ever bites the dust.

The 800 Branded 3/4 Highway Deerskin looks nice - but shouldn't it button the other way? Maybe they sell a women's version, too...
If deerskin isn't warm, I might want to look into another material - it might be hard for me to justify another cooler weather coat.
This is slightly off-topic, but did you have a good experience with Lost Worlds? It seems that he makes really nice coats but can be somewhat erratic.

apba1166

A-List Customer
The 800 Branded 3/4 Highway Deerskin looks nice - but shouldn't it button the other way? Maybe they sell a women's version, too...
If deerskin isn't warm, I might want to look into another material - it might be hard for me to justify another cooler weather coat.

This is slightly off-topic, but did you have a good experience with Lost Worlds? It seems that he makes really nice coats but can be somewhat erratic.

It's not a winter coat, but I do have one that's big on me I wear over layers. The LW one I have is a bit thicker than others.
My experience with LW was first rate in every way. Very direct, which I like. Completely professional. He makes a Downtown version in deer, it's on their site; you might ask him if that
is warm.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up a Polo A-1-style jacket in yellow deerskin with a brushed twill lining - a sleeper at eBay that cost me something like $50 because it was super-droopy thru the shoulders (unusual for Polo). I haven't worn it outside yet (too chilly), but the skin has a very nice hand. It's a bit thicker than the typical deer used in gloves. Feels like it might need some dubbin or mink oil to go out in the wet, but will it discolor when they're applied?

apba1166 said:
My experience with LW was first rate in every way. Very direct, which I like.
But don't forget folks, "directness" in the Northeast is roughly equivalent to "hand over the money and nobody gets hurt" in other parts of the country. lol

macguzzi

New in Town
Aero do offer Deerskin it's on the web site. The new shirt that is coming is very soft deerskin cured in fish oil for one year.

apba1166

A-List Customer
But don't forget folks, "directness" in the Northeast is roughly equivalent to "hand over the money and nobody gets hurt" in other parts of the country. lol

Ha! Exactly. I want to say: when in India I do what the Indians do...but perhaps a Philadelphian doing business with a New Yorker has its own rituals, customs, and sign language.

Last edited:
Also, my father has some moose skin boots/gloves and jacket. Very similar (in my memory) to deer/elk, but likely harder to find.
These things are over 50 years old too.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
I throw in my 2 cents here, because I have a couple of deersking MC jackets that are great for summer riding. One is from Johnson Leathers in San Francisco ( http://www.johnsonleather.com/ ) and the other is from Uber Tanning ( http://uberleather.com/mens_jackets.html ). Johnson Leather is great to work with, but personally, I like the Uber Tanning deerskin better... it is from game, rather than farm-raised, but they selected some very good skins and the hide has a slightly heavier hand. According to Stuart at LW, the demand for deerskin is so small that they can no longer source hides at a price that is economically feasible, so they no longer offer deerskin (but they do have some moose and elk). Be aware that deerskin is quite popular as a "fashion" hide; a lot of pricey deerskin jackets are really just designer garb put together just well enough to last a season... these items are fashion statements, not durable, functional garments. In my experience, well-made, durable deerskin jackets just aren't easy to find (not in the US, anyway... perhaps more common in Europe???).

Another point perhaps worth mentioning here: I have read that there are quite significant differences between hides of European Red Deer and American Whitetail Deer. I can't comment on this from direct experience (I've never seen Red Deer hides), but these are different animals, so the term "deerskin" by itself could be misleading, though not an intentional misrepresentation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points