Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Del Monico Hatters, New Haven, Connecticut

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I just made a visit to Del Monico Hatters in New Haven, Connecticut, also mentioned in a thread by French, here.

I thought it worthy to start a new thread, rather than hijack French's thread, to draw attention to a real quality New England hatter. The staff is really excellent, and more than willing to put up with even as picky a shopper as myself. Here's the staff, along with myself and my newly purchased Stetson Blakely. The owner, Ernie DelMonico, is to the right. The store has been run by the DelMonico family since it's opening in 1908.

DelMonicoStaff.jpg

Del Monico has been in New Haven for 100 years this year, though in this location only since 1966. Not only was Marcus, on the far left, extremely patient and knowledgeable about hats, he also gave us an interesting history of Del Monico and downtown New Haven, to boot.

The plaque Mandy is holding is the Hat Retailer of the Year Award for 2007, awarded by the Headwear Association.

Here's the storefront, located at 47 Elm Street, New Haven, just off the Green.

DelMonicoStorefront.jpg

There is just no way to compare buying a hat from a knowledgeable and friendly staff, and as French mentioned in his thread, they do not steer you towards the most expensive hats, but ones that fit your features and your style. They listen to what you tell them, and make recommendations along those lines. Marcus didn't break out the $300 Borsolinos until I had already pretty much made my selection, and then only to show my wife the quality of the felt.

Since I bought two hats, and am currently traveling, they were more than willing to box up and ship my hats to California.

Overall a great experience at Del Monico's, and a highly recommended hatter!

Last edited by a moderator:

univibe88

One Too Many
I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience there. I live in Mass and go to Ct a lot for work. I need to stop by some time.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
They are actually my offshore hat purchase location of choice (offshore from Australia that is). Thanks for the photo's and text - good to know a bit more about them.

YARVTON

New in Town
Del Monico Hatters, New Haven

New Haven is a good town to visit with Del Monico, the original J Press store, and Paul-Richards shoes [inheriting Barrie's space]. Remember not being able to live without a gray Derby and going to Del Monico while at college. I stopped by on my way to the train a few weeks ago -- they just received a shipment from Stetson filled with "Temple"s. I asked about the "Nostalgia" but the kid at the front door didn't know anything and I didn't have time to wait for the owner. But I would say it's worth a trip since they do a lot of mail-order followup business from people who drop in.

ehtyva

New in Town
That's cool - thanks for sharing! I actually just bought something from them a couple weeks ago. If I'm ever in CT I definitely want to stop over there.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I bought a Panama hat from them last year before going on vacation. Excellent service, great hat! Thanks for the info on them.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Really pretty cool.

So what all do you have in the hat department nowadays Mojave?
Hmm, what do I have?! Let's see...

- 3 Australian slouch hats (2 Akubra and 1 Newcastle)
- Stetson Whippet
- Appleby Open Road clone
- Stetson Blakely
- Akubra Riverina (daily wear, until it gets a little warmer)
- a Fiesta Hats straw (Actually one of my favorite straws for field work.)
- an Adam
- Resistol 3X beaver (converted to a Span Am era Marine Corps slouch)
- Pith helmet

That's pretty much it. I don't hang onto hats that I don't use, except the pith helmet and the historical hats. Oh, and the list should include my tin hat (WWI helmet).

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I got my mail yesterday after having had it on hold for my visit back east, and lo and behold! my hats nearly beat me home!

Here's how I wore the hat to dinner on Friday night, when my wife and I celebrated our 7th anniversary.

AnnDinner.jpg

And here's my lovely bride, posing with her Yale degree, which she earned on our actual anniversary, Memorial Day.

AnnDinner2.jpg

I also got a note from Mr. DelMonico, and he sent links to a recent NPR article about the store.

http://www.cpbn.org/?q=node/6850

Here's a link directly to the audio:

http://www.cpbn.org/files/audio/2008_05_21_do%20Hat%20feature%200522.mp3

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Seconds on the happy anniversary wishes, Jack.

Your wife's degree looks like my former wife's, insofar as it's entirely in Latin - hers was biochemistry. We're still good friends and she is here in Georgia. But I recall living in New Haven and later East Haven, the square, and visiting Delmonico's at least once. The owner looks very familiar but that is probably just my imagination. Yes, it is a very interesting town and I'll probably get back there for a visit sometime. Thanks for the reminder about this store!

I like your new hat, and also the very sharp suit you wore when you two went out to dinner.

By the way, you mention a straw from Fiesta...you said it's one of your favorite field hats...mind sharing which one it is? And how well it fits, what with the elastic sweats they have? Looking for something along those lines myself.

M. Gracias,
- Bill

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks, Woodfluter!

I'm afraid I have no idea which Fiesta I have. I've gotten two Fiestas at the open air market in Palm Desert, but neither have been any of the hats featured on their site. This one is a sort of rust color, and came with a black puggaree. I took off the puggaree and put on a matching ribbon...which I promptly sweated through, so it's back to the pug!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Thanks anyhow Jack!

No problem, I have too many hats anyway, no need to track down this Fiesta!:rolleyes:

By the way, belated congrats to your truly lovely and capable wife. An ardous process.

Haven't looked up Yucca Valley, but my parents lived in Keeler (south of Bishop) and I spent the first year of my life in Trona (north of Barstow). All in the Mojave. You are a bit south of all that, eh? Fine country.

- Bill

NonEntity

Suspended
Thanks for the pics of Del Monico Hatter, MJ, because I've never been there in person but have dealt with them for many years via its web site, www.delmonicohatter.com; E-mail, info@delmonicohatter.com; and phone, 866-470-4287.

Yes, they have outstanding customer service, IF you deal with owner Ernie or Marcus. In my experience, the rest are supremely polite and pleasant but light in the knowledge department.

As for the hats and caps they carry, the selection is somewhat limited, yet the price/quality range is refreshingly broad, and those prices are generally middle-of-the-pack when compared to competitors.

All in all, Del Monico Hatter is a very good store, one of the few old-style retail hats shops remaining. Let's hope it'll still be around in another 100 years.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Mojave, thank you for sharing this thread. Del Monico was where I got my first fur felt hat (a brown Sovereign Stetson) while a student at the Div. School about 5 years ago. I remember that Marcus really gave some great advice about hat care ("don't put it on by the pinch in the crown, but use the brim instead"), and Ernie was there as well. Both were great gentlemen and also quite generous. If anyone gets the chance, I'd recommend visiting there. Hopefully I can stop in sometime again when I make it back to the other coast to visit friends.

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wish I knew you were so close, I would have driven down.

Congratualtions to the Mrs for earning her degree. I know she worked hard for it and she deserves each measure of success it grants her.

:eusa_clap

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks, Hem!

Sorry, I would have let you know, but with both families in town, from Papa and Grandma Dot down to my 10-year-old nieces, we were pretty busy. I think my wife had an hour-by-hour schedule, so I didn't try to modify it in any way! lol The hats and the visit were her anniversary gift to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk