Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delon's strange DB in 1970 gangster flick "Borsalino"

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I recently watched the 1970 French film "Borsalino", about Marseille mafia in the 1930s.
As always when watching a period movie, I focus way too much on costumes and clothes, and in this case noticed something that's puzzling me.
Early on into the film, Delon is wearing what seems like a dark pinstriped 6x2 double brested suit. Upon close inspection, you can see that of the two non functional buttons in the top row, only the right hand side one is present. The corresponding non functional button on the breat pocket side is just not there.
Have you folks ever saw something like that in European 1930s suits? Is it a gangster-style sartorial "quirk", or did they simply loose a button before shooting the scene and decided that no one would probably notice?
Here is a screen capture pic. Sorry about the low quality, but what I described was pretty clear during that scene.
Borsalino.jpg

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I've never heard of or seen examples of this being done intentionally. My guess? They were using vintage pieces and this suit lost a button at some point during its life. Fixing it would have meant replacing all the buttons on the coat front, and so they didn't.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I'm going to have a watch later and look at the coat in question. Borsalino is a great film. It's odd though, the first half is like a crime comedy and the second half is really serious. There's a good fight scene at the beginning between Delon and Jean-Paul Belmondo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana