Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim ankle width and turn up(cuff) depth.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
So members, what width at the ankle do you like your turn up(cuff) to be?
With my footwear I prefer 14 inch as I wear boots a lot, any wider and the hem slips over and catches on the rise of the heel. I don't like the old baggy 40s style as I have skinny legs and they just don't hang correct.
As for turnups or Cuffs as I believe some say, how deep do you go?
I like a max of 2 ins. I have seen some of the 'Rat Rod' set go for up to 10'. How authentic the look is I don't know but there are a few biker pics showing a deep turn up.
Was it simply that the young guys could not persuade their mums or sisters to hem them and get rid of the extra material?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny, but until very recently I never saw cuffed jeans on this side of the Atlantic - at least, not since the 1950's. I always thought it was one of those things the Brits picked up and stayed with. What with selvedge jeans and all, I started doing it myself a few years back and have gotten used to it; anything over about an inch and a half seems a bit too Marlon Brando for me, though.

Mark

Practically Family
I turn-up out of neccessity on account i got short legs! Have you noticed at the end of the day you have collected all kinds of fauna and other debri in those turn-ups. I prefer no turn-up given a choice.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Funny, but until very recently I never saw cuffed jeans on this side of the Atlantic - at least, not since the 1950's. I always thought it was one of those things the Brits picked up and stayed with. What with selvedge jeans and all, I started doing it myself a few years back and have gotten used to it; anything over about an inch and a half seems a bit too Marlon Brando for me, though.
Turned up jeans have been popular in the UK since those far off days of RnR, yes I agree about 1 1/2 ins is about the max. I sometimes prefer just the bottom turned with about 3/4in of inner hem. Occasionally no turn up to please the Mrs as she does not like turned up jeans at all.

I turn-up out of neccessity on account i got short legs! Have you noticed at the end of the day you have collected all kinds of fauna and other debri in those turn-ups. I prefer no turn-up given a choice.
Yes, road dust usually, and once a small diamond earing Mrs T had lost

Edward

Bartender
Was it simply that the young guys could not persuade their mums or sisters to hem them and get rid of the extra material?

Never actually measured mine, but by eye at a guess (I'm in a hotel room, looking at a pair on the bed right now), I'd say close to 4" is about standard for me.

Back in the day, jeans came in one, long size, and you either rolled or not according to height. If you were really tall, you got no cuff; abnormally tall, and you wore 'em fully unrolled and north of your ankle....

It's a look that has gone in and out of fashion here, though pretty much a staple with the retro/vintage crowd. Been doing ot so long, jeanbs look odd to me without one, though I don't care for uncuffed trews of any sort outside of formal day/eveningwear.

We did the big turn-ups as kids only after Mom started buying longer pants for us to avoid the need to sew old bottom pieces from jeans we outgrew on the legs of too-short jeans. Looking back, the turn-ups were not something we did for long, but it did avoid the embarrassment of those frankenstein jeans. Dad was still in grad school and there wasn't money for new clothes every time our bodies decided to grow more.

Today, it's rare I get any jeans I can cuff at all. But oddly, the last pair of Gustin 17oz Japanese are hella long. Almost too long as I don't know what to do with the extra. I can't wear those big turn-ups, and I don't like 3-4 rolls of a decent 1-1/2" size either. Oddly, I feel like I might have to get them taken up - or, just wear with western boots and go for that "look".

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It's a look that has gone in and out of fashion here, though pretty much a staple with the retro/vintage crowd. Been doing ot so long, jeanbs look odd to me without one, though I don't care for uncuffed trews of any sort outside of formal day/eveningwear.
There have been some crazy denim styles in the 40 odd years I have been doing the retro look. At one time it was simply Levi's or Wranglers, with turn ups of any sort. In the 80s there was a fashion for just turned up showing about an inch max. Then the turn up floated around the 1-3 inch, but with the advent of the Ed Roth and Rat Rod culture taken off it appears they can go from a normal turn to as said in my original post, and yes I have seen them, 10 inch.
The actual make of jeans have gone from plain currant store brands to dead on accurate Japanese repro's of 1940s Levi's. Personally the John Boy Walton look just does not suit me pushing 60.

Edward

Bartender
The funny thing is how we've come full circle: originally, people rolled up jean cuffs to make 'em fit without the time and expense of having them hemmed. Now the high end denim companies make 'em "too long" so we can cuff 'em for the look. Form follows function follows form....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen cuffs on jeans except on short people. :p I have long legs so I've never had to turn up my cuffs since I was 14. Is it a thing?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two inches is my max :)..so to speak :)

In the early 90's during my 'Grunge' Phase I always cuffed my jeans...after student life I went with no cuff / turn up. Now I'm older I've gone back to cuffs again...the circle turns!! Can't imagine wearing denim without at least a 2" Turn Up :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ