Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deodorant Question

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Use a little Gold Bond powder before applying deodorant and it is even more effective.

Oxy Clean will remove most of those stains. A good, long soak.

Flicka

One Too Many
I make my own deodorant. Contains nothing but coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch & whatever perfume/essential oil you like. Works better than the store bough stuff, IMO.

D

Deleted member 16736

I use Extra-Strength Gold Bond Body Powder with zinc after I shower. Works better than anything I've ever tried and it doesn't itch like those aluminum-based deodorants. Ammens is another old-time body powder with double the zinc but not the soothing menthol. Both are great, however, and will control all your perspiration. They absorb the moisture and neutralizes the smell. I used it and I'm a swing dancer where sweating is profuse.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I don't want scent from my deodorant (I get that from my after-shave balm) and I sure don't want all those chemicals with aluminum in their names.

This is what I use: http://store.thecrystal.com/crystal-body-deodorant-stick-p2.aspx

It's all natural and controls odor effectively. I still perspire some, but that's natural and good. It's the odor most of us want to avoid.

Across the Pond we have:

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001F41IXI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001F4BROS&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0AX80JTKCM4Q5RJ3QYXR

Which worked pretty darn well for me.

I hear good things about bamboo fabric, regarding wicking and antibacterial properties. I'm on a sewing course at the moment, and hope to make a basic white 40's blouse from it, so it should be good for dancing - looking smart but still smelling like a rose :). I wonder if you can find undershirts made of bamboo (or slips/camisoles for us gals)?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've checked most regular deodorants and I have trouble finding ones WITHOUT aluminum - yes, deodorants, not ap's.

I use Brut spray because there's no aluminum.

Marc-Ange Draco

New in Town
A mix of corn flour, bicarbonate of soda and tea tree oil here.

Works far better than any commercial deodorant for me, is much healthier, doesn't leave any stains and wont interfere with the scent I am wearing either.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Flicka and Marc-Ange, I'd be interested in the recipes for your home-made deodorants. Thanks.

I cannot use anti-perspirant, it will actually make my skin in my armpits peel away to raw flesh! Can you say Owww?

I use Old Spice sticks and don't have any yellowing problem.

Any stains from sweat and dirt I try the Fels-Naptha soap.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I cannot use anti-perspirant, it will actually make my skin in my armpits peel away to raw flesh! Can you say Owww?

I use Old Spice sticks and don't have any yellowing problem.

Any stains from sweat and dirt I try the Fels-Naptha soap.

Same thing happened to me, John. I switched to Old Spice for years until it started again. That's what got me over to Brut.

I'll probably eventually have to switch to one of these homemade things.

Marla

A-List Customer
Chemical-heavy deodorant can be very damaging to vintage clothing. I think every vintage suit jacket I own has some degree of extreme discoloration in the lining of the arm pit from the previous owner.

So for me its either natural deodorant or none at all. If odor isn't an issue, there's always dress shields.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
oh goodness stay far away from store bought deodorants!!! they contain Aluminum which studies have shown increases risk for Alzheimer's up to 60% in men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been making my own deodorant for about 2 years now and it works amazing!! :) and my boyfriend uses it as well and swears by it as well! :) if you want a recipe i can sent you one in a message :) just ask :) but i would recommend a two week detox from you store bought deodorant/poison, then switch to a home-made deodorant :) to be honest the hardest part is the detox but its there are ways to make it easy-breezy!! :) oh and don't let those "natural" deodorant brands, because those have other ingredients you don't want on your skin and its price isn't worth it, especially because you can easily be made at home for a much better price and far better quality! :) so yea contact me if you want a really good deodorant recipe! :) hope this helped! :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I recently read over on dappered.com an interesting article for and against wearing an undershirt. And one interesting point was that yellow stains are caused the aluminum in deodorant. Here is the article:

http://dappered.com/2012/05/style-debate-wearing-an-undershirt-when-its-hot/

My question is, what deodorants do you recommend using? I currently use Brut. I would appreciate what you all have to say.

Best,
Jerry
oh goodness stay far away from store bought deodorants!!! they contain Aluminum which studies have shown increases risk for Alzheimer's up to 60% in men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been making my own deodorant for about 2 years now and it works amazing!! :) and my boyfriend uses it as well and swears by it as well! :) if you want a recipe i can sent you one in a message :) just ask :) but i would recommend a two week detox from you store bought deodorant/poison, then switch to a home-made deodorant :) to be honest the hardest part is the detox but there are ways to make it easy-breezy!! :) oh and don't let those "natural" deodorant brands fool you, because those have other ingredients you don't want on your skin and its price isn't worth it, especially because you can easily be made at home for a much better price and far better quality! :) so yea contact me if you want a really good deodorant recipe! :) hope this helped! :)

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I use one part baking soda to one part corn starch. If your skin is sensitive, you can use one part baking soda to two parts corn starch. Apply with a powder puff.

The only way this works is if you are "clean" when you apply it. If you already smell, it won't help much. Wash up, dry, and then apply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk